Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering surgery in Mexico, curious about post op care

Hello!

My partner is considering doing self pay in Mexico (I went though Kaiser, it was great but slow).

I’m wondering if others can share their experience with post op care. I’ve seen people say they’ve been refused care because they got the surgery done in Mexico.
Some have said don’t tell your doctor where you got it done… how would someone skirt around that? Say “I got a VSG, but I refuse to tell you where?” (Awkward?!)

What about post op labs?
What if there are complications once you’re home?

He is on MediCal through the end of the year and will probably switch to BCBS or Kaiser next year.

Thanks for any insight or experiences you are willing to share

from what I have seen on this forum, there isn't much post op anything.

On 10/05/2022 at 11:41, SuziDavis said:

from what I have seen on this forum, there isn't much post op anything.

Yea, so it seems! Which is different than Kaiser. Though, I must say that I lost Kaiser coverage soon after my surgery and didn’t carry on with the post op plan they had and I’ve been perfectly fine… I’ve seen others have complications and I wonder what happens then?!

Thanks for responding. Maybe others will have insight for us too.

46 minutes ago, baribetty said:

Yea, so it seems! Which is different than Kaiser. Though, I must say that I lost Kaiser coverage soon after my surgery and didn’t carry on with the post op plan they had and I’ve been perfectly fine… I’ve seen others have complications and I wonder what happens then?!

Thanks for responding. Maybe others will have insight for us too.

I was self pay, but in Florida. it was under $12k with everything. And my doctor is great. Almost all zoom unless you have an issue. And he gives out his cell number for random text questions.

I had VSG in Mx. at HospitalBC w Dr. Illan. I had a great experience and would absolutely recommend. They have a dietitian on staff who is extremely responsive (they had a lady before her who was garbage but replaced her due to patient complaints). They were great about answering questions before surgery keeping in touch after, etc. I have no complaints.

Prior to surgery I met with my PCP, she was fully onboard and supportive. She pulled a full lab panel pre-surgery to make sure there were no concerns and does all of my post-op labs. She has been really impressed with my results and was pleased with the details of my experience.

If there were complications, which are EXTREMLY rare with bariatric surgery, they more than likely would occur while still in Mx and the surgeon would manage IF anything went awry after you got home, an emergency room legally cannot turn you away and would absolutely have to treat you regardless of where the surgery took place. is there a possibility that if you needed to see another bariatric surgeon they would be hesitant? Sure. But you will never be flat refused medical care in the event of an emergency.

I had my surgery done in Mexico. I was in severe pain on the flight back to the states. Thinking it was just gas. Instinct told me to go to e.r.
The Dr treating me here in the states was a complete a@@ hole. He told me that he can refuse my treatment. I was hospitalized for 3 days. He asked me why I went to Mexico. I told him that Mexico is much cheaper ,I don’t have to play the head games you require and the waiting game. He was not impressed. Things can happen here in the states or on another country but please please do your research before going!

Wow, that sounds awful, Im so sorry! How was your experience with your doctor in Mexico? Would you choose the same surgeon? Anything to watch for?

Thanks!

On 10/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, SuziDavis said:

I was self pay, but in Florida. it was under $12k with everything. And my doctor is great. Almost all zoom unless you have an issue. And he gives out his cell number for random text questions.

Do you mind sharing who your doctor was?

11 hours ago, LunaBean said:

Do you mind sharing who your doctor was?

Not at all. He was great!

https://www.drshillingford.com/contact-us.html