Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my journey - Advice

Hi everyone

I have just joined this group and hope to get some advice!

I am booking my VSG for April 2023 (very excited) but just wanted general advice and tips on how to prepare mentally/physically before and how people felt after the surgery. I am currently a student at university and have planned to have this done during a 3 week break... i am hoping this is enough time to recover enough to start classes again. Any advice or tips would be appreciated! Excited to start my journey

Welcome!!! I'm a little over a week post op so I'm no expert but my number one tip is that if you don't already see a therapist, start with one. Even if it's just your university health center one. Most of us struggle with our relationship with food and and that will probably never be cured, but getting help to manage all that baggage is invaluable. Also, just stress and fear from any life change can do a number and it helps to talk it out!!

As for recovery time, I would try to get the surgery near the beginning of the break so you'll have ample time to rest and do any assignments you might have.

Hello!

I am just under 6 months post op.

My advise: start practicing changes PRE-OP.

For example: PRE-OP I started Counted calories and logged everything (lost weight as a bonus). Stopped drinking soda (even tho I only drank diet). Stopped drinking with my meals. I feel like all these little things made the transition easier post-op.

As far as being a student, I personally think you will be fine in 3 weeks. Of course everyone is different so take it with a grain of salt. I had no complications or any issues after surgery. (Luckyyy and thankful) I took a month off of work but ended up coming back at 3 weeks. I did get tired SUPER fast the first few days but after that I was pretty much back to normal.

Good luck on your journey, it is SO WORTH IT!

Hello Ella97, there are a few of us here from the Uk and I personally have found this forum really helpful. There is always some one on this forum who has the same little niggle that you are struggling with and a kind word with a suggestion to ease the worry.

As you have been advised, a 3 week break is a good time to have the surgery.

In the UK we have different regimes pre surgery, than in the USA and we do not have the counselling or psych services that are the norm over there.

Pre surgery, I read a lot of the back pages of this forum, I gained so much knowledge and just knowing that I could be posting before and after photo's like others on the site in only 6 moths to a year really spurred this old girl on.

Just imagine how wonderful you will look next summer !

The only thing I can say is not to worry about this, I have already gone through something like this and it matters a lot to keep calm, I was also a student and this source helped me a lot with this https://edubirdie.com/do-my-homework because this happened during my studies and in order not to miss anything I turned to them for help with my homework, besides this after the operation I was doing even better. Everything will be fine!

Edited by Victorlong111