Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jailed for Fraud?

Yes, please. I am sold on Kuri and I just want to know what's up! I don't know how else to ask but to just put it out there...facts, please, if anyone has them.

Since when does Kuri even have a "staff surgeon?" He's a one man show. It's gotta be wrong. A different surgeon was, some time ago, convicted of insurance fraud. But he is not now, nor was he then a partner of Kuri's. And it had to do with overbilling.

BTW, there was no jail time that I'm aware of.

Best Me: Dr Kuri actually has three other surgens who work with him and also do surgery. They are all on the american boards. I will find their names and you can do a search on them to see if you can get any info. I am thinking about using Dr Kuri as well and am interested in what you are saying. I dont know what the other docs names are beacause I told Kuri's staff I would only do the surgery there if he was the head surgen performing the surgery. From what I understand there will be 1 or 2 other sugrens in the room. Have you talked to Ishi (is that her name? something like that)? she will give you the other surgens names. You can PM me if you want. I would love to talk to you since we are both thinking of using him. Looks like my surgery is going to be sometime in may. I wouldn't worry too much I have only heard good things about him. I have done quite a few searches on him and asked other american surgens about him.... but I have never asked about the other surgens.

This is verified information: (I'm in the process of resraching the different docs)

Dr Kuri is doing more Inamed band surgeries per month than any other US or MX doc, so is considered the top Inamed surgeon, per Dan Mill from Inamed.

Kuri has 2 other Inamed-certified band surgeions assisting him. At least one of them is with him at all surgeries. One is also a plastic surgeon.

The MX doctor who was jailed for fraud is not Dr Kuri's staff - it is Dr Sergio verboonen of the Molding clinic. This is widely known on the Yahoo boards. Here is a link about Verboonen :

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20030410-9999_1m10fraud.html

My brother is a PI and has investigated all the big MX docs. This is the only case of arrest, fruad, and prison time he found.

So far, Dr Lopez and Dr Kuri are the only docs I have found with NO major complaints, and only very few small ones - like being late for fills.

What a great Board! Renee

This is verified information: (I'm in the process of resraching the different docs)

Dr Kuri is doing more Inamed band surgeries per month than any other US or MX doc, so is considered the top Inamed surgeon, per Dan Mill from Inamed.

Kuri has 2 other Inamed-certified band surgeions assisting him. At least one of them is with him at all surgeries. One is also a plastic surgeon.

The MX doctor who was jailed for fraud is not Dr Kuri's staff - it is Dr Sergio verboonen of the Molding clinic. This is widely known on the Yahoo boards. Here is a link about verboonen :

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20030410-9999_1m10fraud.html

My brother is a PI and has investigated all the big MX docs. This is the only case of arrest, fruad, and prison time he found.

So far, Dr Lopez and Dr Kuri are the only docs I have found with NO major complaints, and only very few small ones - like being late for fills.

What a great Board! Renee

Kuri is doing more bands than anyone else…right now. Means nothing. Others have held that title and it changes all the time. The most bands done in Mexico title is probably held by Rumbaut or Sanchez.

Kuri has taken on other surgeons because of his current workload. You can request him for surgery, doesn’t mean you’ll get him.

Verboonen was the one jailed for fraud, you are most certainly correct.

The only docs you have found with no major COMPLAINTS? This statement might be perceived by some as these docs have had no major COMPLICATIONS. If you’re complaint info comes only from support group boards, that will explain it. Some boards (not this one, but especially the Yahoo boards) are owned an operated by patients and even employees of a doctor! Bad place to check for complaints. I can assure you that both have had complaints and complications. ALL of them have had complaints and complications. There is a small risk of complications with the lapband and that’s a fact.

If you have access to a good PI (which it sounds like you are lucky enough to have), check out the hospital records of the 2 docs you mention with no major complaints, you’ll be shocked at what you find!

Only surgeons I considered were Ortiz and Rumbaut. That’s just my opinion.

Kat

Renee, please read the old threads. You will find plenty of posts on Dr. Lopez and Dr. Kuri.

Which doctor is doing your banding?

I see no posts on Dr Kuri on the "Dcos and Hospitals" forum - at least none with headlines like the others. please help me find them. thank you!

PS I haven't decided whom to choose yet, but i have ruled out quite a few! Renee

I think you just type their name into the search box for the forum and it will pick out any old threads that mentioned them. There have been a lot of recent complaints regarding erosion cases with Dr. Lopez but I don't know if these cases are more than the normal ratio for any doctor. We just seem to hear a lot about them. I actually used him and have not had any major complications but I do maintain a certain amount of fear that problems could occur. I have heard wonderful things about Kuri, Rumbaut and Ortiz. Best of luck, Teresa

I don't know anything about the business end of his practice, but I'm sad to say Kuri made a surgical error when he removed my first port, and I really liiked him a lot. PM me if you want info.

The MX doctor who was jailed for fraud is not Dr Kuri's staff - it is Dr Sergio verboonen of the Molding clinic. This is widely known on the Yahoo boards. Here is a link about Verboonen :

There were actually several doctors that were arrested. Dr Verboonen is also from obesitygoodbye. I wasnt aware he even worked for the molding clinic.

I have heard rumors however.