Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am five-months post gastric sleeve and in the middle of a five-week stall where I have not lost any weight. While admittedly after being impacted by Covid my exercise (walks) did go down, but over the last two weeks have been walking an average of 8000 steps compared to an average of 4000 steps for the first four months post op. Unfortunately, owing to mental stress have also been somewhat taking liberties with the diet, especially with occasional ice cream, and chips at night and also diet coke.

For information, my surgery weight was 330 lbs with current weight 268 lbs with a total weight loss of 62 lbs over exactly five months. Reading the forum I understand stalls can happen but am concerned about no impact for around 6 weeks despite increased physical activity. Any insights on the following will help:

a. How often does the stall last, especially if anybody has experienced around 5-6 months post-op.

b. Any specific foods that can be included in the diet to trigger weight loss.

Glad to be part of this group.

Cheers

I feel you. I have read that a few week stall was normal. Most everyone seems to have them.

I too went into a LONG stall at about 5 months out from surgery. Had surgery in May and the last time I really lost any good amount of weight was Oct. I stalled, then spoke to my nutritionist in Dec, made some adjustments then lost like 3.7 in January but haven't lost again since! That's like only a 3.7 lb loss in about 5 months!!!! CRAZY!!

You MAY be able to explain your stall away because you have been indulging in foods more off plan (chips, diet soda, etc), but I haven't even been doing that! I have not had any other drink but for Water since last March! But for the occasional alcoholic drink (like once a month). So yeah, your guess is as good as mine. You can read more about my issues (if you want) in my thread that I have going. Explains more about what has been happening, my exercise routine, etc.

Hopefully you will get things moving again soon. Maybe cut out those foods and see if that helps? I also suggest speaking to your nutritionist. They may be able to help you get yourself back on track. Are you tracking your food?

I know people have different opinions about calorie counting, but when I hit a stall (and I also had one at 5 months... and have another little one right now) I think it is really important to measure and track your actual calorie intake to ensure you know what you are doing, not just guessing what you are doing or how much you are eating. So, that would be my recommendation - track and see what you are averaging for calories. Sometimes you may need to increase food intake to push past a stall, though if you are going off program, you probably should see where you are now before going for that approach.

Frustratingly, stalls can happen once or multiple times while your losing. They can last for a week to 3 or 4 weeks. If they persist, have a chat with your dietician/nutritionalist to review your diet. Sometimes a small tweak can kick start your loss again.

I also think you’ve answered some of your own question by saying you’ve let your food choices slide a little (we’ve probably all done it at some time). Best is to get back on your plan re food choices, portion sizes, etc.

I have a small window of calorie intake variation to maintain (don’t check my calories everyday but do random checks) & recently I’ve put on a little weight. I’ve realised, in my attempt to up my Protein intake a bit (since my gall was removed I don’t absorb it well) I’ve increased my calories. Increasing my portion size of meat (3oz to 4), throwing in some Beans to my lunch salads, etc. & there’s the reason for the weight gain. Though I reduced the amount of vegetables I was eating the calorie difference was not enough to compensate. Can’t believe I didn’t realise. My surgeon’s doctor has put me back on Creons to help with protein absorption & I’m going back to my previous eating habits.

Good advice here, just wanting to comment on the mental stress side of things:

I think we'll be acutely aware over the next decade how much stress and emotional anguish influence our body's idea of what it wants to weigh.

While I, too, would track calories very carefully to kinda get an overview and a baseline for action, I would also suggest looking in a totally different place for shaking things up: your mental well-being. Do you see a therapist? Do you make sure to get out to see friends and loved ones?

And, most importantly, are you falling into old habits of beating yourself over the head re. your food choices? (So, so many people with obesity do this).

Maybe's it starts with reaching out to an old friend to see if they want to meet up for coffee.

Oh, and as a big believer in sports, but as a non-fan of running: shake it up in the exercise department! :) Many think it's all about increasing endurance - you've mentioned doubling your steps - and while that's logical and good, it also puts up higher and higher barriers to 'getting your exercise in'.

I accepted that I really hate running. But that it does something good for me.

So I've made a deal with myself: I'll end every workout at the gym (which is like 2x a week for me, and that's it besides biking around town) with a 5 minute sprint on the treadmill. If I am not exhausted after 5 minutes, I'll run faster - not longer - next time. Just getting your pulse way up there for a little while tells your body 'hey, better be ready for this'.

Just an idea :)

Eat the right amount of calories, walk gently and often, drink lots of Water. Measure your stomach next month instead of weighing yourself because that can be traumatic - you don't want to lose weight, you want to lose fat (hopefully!). Be kind to yourself, it's only a month.

I‘m 5 months post op too (well, in three days I am) and haven‘t lost a single lb in all of February. January and December felt incredibly slow too.
We‘re around the same weight (SW: 304lbs, CW: 220lbs). Can I ask how tall you are?

Same thing happened to my surgery buddy, she had a stall at 5 months and has only just starting losing again at the 7 month mark. all normal hang in there, don't give up

Thank you everyone and this is much helpful learning from the experiences. I have started tracking the calories more closely and guess I am averaging between 800-1000 on most days but will be more tight about this. I understand the quality of the calories is an issue, with me being able to manage breakfasts and lunch but late evening snacking is an issue.

Not much into running, so seeking alternate options - perhaps weight training or start exploring a new sport - tennis or squash whatever the best my current weight and limited mobility over the last 20 years or so allows me but will gradually take that up. Perhaps swimming.

I have my fingers crossed that the weight loss re-starts and am hoping for another 70 lbs at least to reach my goal weight, though the doctor did not indicate any specific weight.

Cheers for the support and the guidance.

8 hours ago, Arancini said:

I‘m 5 months post op too (well, in three days I am) and haven‘t lost a single lb in all of February. January and December felt incredibly slow too.
We‘re around the same weight (SW: 304lbs, CW: 220lbs). Can I ask how tall you are?

I am 174 cm tall. Hopefully it starts back for you and soon, and do let me/us know what helped.

19 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Oh, and as a big believer in sports, but as a non-fan of running: shake it up in the exercise department! :) Many think it's all about increasing endurance - you've mentioned doubling your steps - and while that's logical and good, it also puts up higher and higher barriers to 'getting your exercise in'.

I accepted that I really hate running. But that it does something good for me.

So I've made a deal with myself: I'll end every workout at the gym (which is like 2x a week for me, and that's it besides biking around town) with a 5 minute sprint on the treadmill. If I am not exhausted after 5 minutes, I'll run faster - not longer - next time. Just getting your pulse way up there for a little while tells your body 'hey, better be ready for this'.

Just an idea :)

First of all much congratulations for your achievement. That is very impressive. I am also not the running sort and cardio is not my favorite either. I am hoping to get back to weight training now that the doctor had indicated a 6-month post op window before doing weights. Hopefully that would help. Also, exploring perhaps starting another sport whatever the best I can - perhaps squash or tennis.