Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux or GERD post surgery

Hello everyone,

I’m scheduled for the sleeve on December 10th. Two of my family members had the sleeve done and they both complain of developing acid reflux after getting the sleeve and they both said they never had problems with the sleeve before. I was told that if I never had issues with acid reflux I would be okay but now I’m concerned that I will have this issue as well. Any thoughts? Has anyone had the sleeve done and developed reflux issues? Has anyone been told they wouldn’t develop reflux after getting the sleeve if they haven’t had it before?

Edited by Angelina1210
Correct word

I was told there's a 20% chance of getting GERD after surgery, worse than that if you already have it. But, I, for example, also have a hiatal hernia which can cause GERD. The plan is to fix the hernia, then that, plus weight loss, can possibly alleviate GERD. It's 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

But I'm with you--it doesn't sound very likely there's a great outcome.

21 minutes ago, LadyVan said:

I was told there's a 20% chance of getting GERD after surgery, worse than that if you already have it. But, I, for example, also have a hiatal hernia which can cause GERD. The plan is to fix the hernia, then that, plus weight loss, can possibly alleviate GERD. It's 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

But I'm with you--it doesn't sound very likely there's a great outcome.

Thank you for explaining that. I just hope I’m not that 20%. As far as I know, I do not have a hernia but if I have one I want it to be repaired because I certainly DO NOT want acid reflux🤦🏾‍♀️

I just decided to switch from the sleeve to the RNY because I realized I have heartburn a LOT and was diagnosed with GERD and hiatal hernia via my endoscopy. I never realized how much I got it until I started to track it. I do not want to have it get worse or stay at the same level. My doctor said about 20% develop it post op.

I had mild GERD a starting a few weeks after sleeve surgery. I never had it before the surgery. So, my surgeon put me on omeprazole for a few months. There has been no recurrence since I went off it.

I was told if it was not an issue presurgery i would be fine. 8 months out and so far so good.

I had acid reflux at least 3-4 times a week before surgery sometimes more. I discussed this with my Dr because I did not want to end up having a revision because of it getting worse. He said that out of the thousands of surgeries he has done he could count on one hand how many actually had a revision and not all of them were because of reflux. I may be one of the few but I have not had reflux since I started my pre op diet and I am 7 months out.

How is everything going now? I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.