Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you just want to share???

To all those that have accomplished their goal weight loss, or those that are just at am MUCH more healthy weight...

When you see someone that is MO, do you have an urge well up in you to share your experience with them? I know it may be rude... "hey, I see that your MO, let me explain some options available to you."

I just got banded, and I find myself thinking this way. I can't imagine how hard it will be for me to keep to myself and not offend people later down the road when I am at or near (at least) my goal weight!

If you have ever spoke to someone "cold" (unsolicited) give us some examples of how it went! Maybe if enough of us bandsters step outside of our comfort zones and get creative with our "presentation" to people, we could really help thousands of MO people get on to MUCH healthier and happier lives!

I feel the same way, I want to go up and tell them they do not have to be miserable anymore.....there are options, but this would be the worst thing anyone could ever say to someone who is MO! If anyone told me that I should consider wls I would have been so depressed I would have gained more weight!

If there is a way to help people....I would love to do it, but I have not figured that out yet!

And just so you know....the Cowboys are good but the Patriots are going to win the super bowl!!!!

There are times I want to SOOO bad but I never have. It wouldn't have worked on me when I was fat. There is a TON of information on WLS available today and quite easy to get. When someone is ready, they will start educating themselves. I have to keep reminding myself of that each time I see a seriously MO person.

If they would only try it.... you know?

I have had an idea since posting the first one.

Here goes!

We can each get some independent cards made up with our own before and after pix made up (so they will know that it is really us). Maybe the left half could be B/A pix and the right half could be a SHORT success story with the LBT.com address and our first name and cell phone number for their support and questions. No confrontation, no embarrassment for them, just a quick walk up slip of a business card and walk away. It is up to them if they want to explain to their companions what the business card was about, and it is up to them to call and make the first "step". They are still taking the action to get something done, this is just a jump start so to speak!

Hows a bout it???

you think it might work?

you think it might work?

Sure, if the goal is to insult and demean. Pointing out the obvious, that they are fat... will make them run for the cakes and burgers. That's all they will hear and see, is that someone noticed they are so fat they need help. They won't hear the rest.

And just so you know....the Cowboys are good but the Patriots are going to win the super bowl!!!!

Hey... I know that the pats are going to the SB. They both can. Pats are AFC and Boys are NFC.

The Pats can go, but the BOYZ WILL WIN!!!!

Hey... I know that the pats are going to the SB. They both can. Pats are AFC and Boys are NFC.

The Pats can go, but the BOYZ WILL WIN!!!!

Maybe you did not see that I said the Patriots will WIN the superbowl, and yes I do think it will be The Cowboys vs the Patriots.

Sure, if the goal is to insult and demean. Pointing out the obvious, that they are fat... will make them run for the cakes and burgers. That's all they will hear and see, is that someone noticed they are so fat they need help. They won't hear the rest.

You have a very good point WBB. I respect what you are saying... but what if this was just what they need to get them the info they need...

My wife and I are talking about this same topic right now and she had a good point also.

With all the discrimination out there today against MO folks, It might be very insulting to them. INSTEAD, just try to be the one person that is in no way discriminating to them. Help them out and be friendly to them.

I think this would work if you were developing relationship with someone. But what about those folks that are out there that you know you will never see again? What then.

The "just be friendly with them" aspect seems to me like "oh just sweep the problem under the rug and forget it" type attitude.

I "swept a lot of problem down my gullet" for years and that is what got me to 400 lbs. I think it is time to be proactive in some way and start sharing with people.

Now remember, I have only had my surgery so maybe this is a bit of the "baby bird trying to fly" syndrome, and maybe I will feel differently about this in a year 1/2 after I am there and have worked through some of my own issues that caused me to eat emotionally.

just my 2 cents!

Fat people are overly sensitive to weight discussions. They are already embarrassed. Anyone who owns a computer or TV knows about the band at this point. Or at least WLS. Some people are just not ready to hear about it.

I got a dose of reality recently. My best friend was banded. She simply isn't ready to give up food quantities yet and she is actually gaining with a band.

When people are ready they start seeking out information. Pushing them early is not the answer.

I think back to when I was talking to my friend about banding. I questioned if I pushed. I don't *think* I did, but if I didn't, why did she get a band if she isn't ready?

I don't know.

Fat people are already humiliated just walking in a room. Someone pointing out the obvious makes it worse, from my experience. They are so humiliated they don't hear what comes after. All they feel is that someone pointed out the fact that they are fat and it is out of control.

I sincerely think food is an addiction like any other and the person has to want it bad enough to go for it when they are ready. Bringing it up before then just seems to make things worse.

I have to be honest, if someone were to have done that to me, I would have been very insulted and pissed off. In fact, it probably would have lead to some sort of confrontation between that person and myself.

Honestly, I have been obese since I was 19 years old. I don't live in a secluded box. I knew there were diets out there. I knew there were weight loss surgeries out there. I knew there were tons of people who had success with both. But the bottom line was, until I was ready to commit to something and had basically hit rock bottom and decided it was time I really had to do something with my life, no one person would have made any difference in their efforts to convince me to lose the weight. I don't care how great they thought their method of weight loss was, I wasn't ready, I wasn't in the right place for it and I would have just been thoroughly annoyed at their getting in my business, especially if they were a complete stranger.

Just my two cents, for what its worth.

I fully agree with those who are saying not to do it- I've been MO for years and it took me 3 years of thinking about doing something to actually realize I was ready to go forward. Fat people know they are fat- when the pain of staying where they are is too much for them, possibly they'll make a change. I think its the rare person who doesn't know there are options to help them.

My mom is funny though- she'll see someone MO and tell me to go talk to them. It's hard not to want to help but the person on the receiving end needs to be the one wanting to change- otherwise it won't work

Hummmm... I am thinking bout what you all have said... Maybe it is a difference of perspective from a gender standpoint. I am a guy and y'all are all gals. I know there has to be some difference of perspective there.

I am in no way saying I think you all are wrong or I am right.

hummmm... I am thinking...

Keep in mind, you are a newbie. With "newbie'dom" there comes this attitude that you are so excited for your upcoming future that you want the rest of the world to share the same experiences, the same shot at TRUE and FOREVER weight loss. It's seriously hard to overcome that feeling in the beginning.

Part of it is the honeymoon stage. It's not a bad thing, it just is. Actually, I think it's a good thing we experience it.