Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have been in this situation before where I have decided that I do want the surgery then backed out. So I have been for a consultation this past Monday. I am 5'10", 220lbs so my bmi is 32ish. I take medicine for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I would have to be self pay even with the comorbidities. Its $10,000 @ Alabama Weight Loss which is near where I live. I have been reading where some people dont feel the restriction after surgery and its easy to eat anything. Should I save the 10 grand and maybe try the preop diet to jump start weight loss then do a high Protein low to zero carb diet? So on the fence about this. I was sure my mind was made up this time.

Hi there!

So obviously, I can't tell you what to do :) I was wondering, however: are you at a stable weight? Is your health declining, or has it been this way for a while?

If you're gradually going up in weight and you're feeling the side effects of that escalating, I'd definitely consider the surgery if I were in your situation.

In terms of how it works, it's pretty accepted now that the main effect from any WLS other than the lap-band is metabolic. That means it's not the restriction or the malabsorption or the combination that does most of the work. It's the change in our GI hormones.

And speaking of those: I'd suggest you look into comorbidity resolution with the different procedures. It seems the resolution rates are higher for procedures that bypass some of your small intestine.

Since you're self-paid anyway, have you considered the Mini Gastric Bypass? It's revisable and reversable and offers higher resolution of comorbidities than both the sleeve and RNY.

Changing your habits and dealing with the surgery is serious work...it works best when you're completely committed. Wait until you're 100% ready for best results.

12 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Changing your habits and dealing with the surgery is serious work...it works best when you're completely committed. Wait until you're 100% ready for best results.

I agree and I feel that Im so ready and confident that I could stick to the changes but Im wondering if its just because I would know that I spent that much money to make it happen. Like I would fall back to old ways if I dont have the procedure

3 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

Hi there!

So obviously, I can't tell you what to do :) I was wondering, however: are you at a stable weight? Is your health declining, or has it been this way for a while?

If you're gradually going up in weight and you're feeling the side effects of that escalating, I'd definitely consider the surgery if I were in your situation.

In terms of how it works, it's pretty accepted now that the main effect from any WLS other than the lap-band is metabolic. That means it's not the restriction or the malabsorption or the combination that does most of the work. It's the change in our GI hormones.

And speaking of those: I'd suggest you look into comorbidity resolution with the different procedures. It seems the resolution rates are higher for procedures that bypass some of your small intestine.

Since you're self-paid anyway, have you considered the Mini Gastric Bypass? It's revisable and reversable and offers higher resolution of comorbidities than both the sleeve and RNY.

I have been pretty stable with my weight. I have lost and gained by changing my eating habits. Thank you for your reply I havent thought about the mini bypass and not sure where that is available, I will definitely have to do some research.

There's a risk you'd fall back to old ways even if you do have it. Lot of folks gain all their weight back...surgery or no surgery. I hate to say this, but it's a truth that no one brings up and it really should be brought up....weight loss surgery is no guarantee for success. It helps. But the real work is in your head. They fix your stomach...not your brain. And your brain is very sneaky. LOL.

That said....statistically, odds for longterm weightloss are MUCH BETTER with the surgery.

I think your health comorbidities would be improved with the surgery, for sure.

Wishing you the best.

9 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

There's a risk you'd fall back to old ways even if you do have it. Lot of folks gain all their weight back...surgery or no surgery. I hate to say this, but it's a truth that no one brings up and it really should be brought up....weight loss surgery is no guarantee for success. It helps. But the real work is in your head. They fix your stomach...not your brain. And your brain is very sneaky. LOL.

That said....statistically, odds for longterm weightloss are MUCH BETTER with the surgery.

I think your health comorbidities would be improved with the surgery, for sure.

Wishing you the best.

Thank you so much. I am leaning much towards proceeding. I understand that its no guarantee but feel that it would be a useful tool. I have a great supportive husband. The dr even said that its up to me to change. Its the grains and carbs that keep him in business. To me its definitely more about the comorbidities, I want to be around a long time for my husband and children.

Some of us eat a ton of grains and carbs for maintenance. LOL. I do. I eat a lot of plant Protein. I don't eat refined carbs much anymore...no sugar or white flour in my normal diet. But I do eat oats, potatoes, Beans, chickpeas on a daily basis. Some people do really well with a Keto approach to weight loss, some are more like me. You'll find lots of both in the weight loss surgery crowd:) Like most things in life....one size fits all....is pretty much a falsehood.

Whichever road you take, wishing you terrific success and great health:)

On 2/17/2021 at 7:36 AM, LindsayS0917 said:

So I have been in this situation before where I have decided that I do want the surgery then backed out. So I have been for a consultation this past Monday. I am 5'10", 220lbs so my bmi is 32ish. I take medicine for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I would have to be self pay even with the comorbidities. Its $10,000 @ Alabama Weight Loss which is near where I live. I have been reading where some people dont feel the restriction after surgery and its easy to eat anything. Should I save the 10 grand and maybe try the preop diet to jump start weight loss then do a high Protein low to zero carb diet? So on the fence about this. I was sure my mind was made up this time.

Dr Lee Schmitt is awesome. Had the surgery 3 weeks ago and for me...No pain and no hunger! I wish I had done it sooner!