Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello anyone going through Kaiser? I am done with my 10 week classes and was wondering how long after do you speak to Surgeon and get surgery date? TIA

There is a Kaiser FB forum you can check out. I had my surgery 3 years ago in October. I think you will really like this forum.

KP Bariatric Support Group (Oregon/SW Washington)

Thank you

4 hours ago, Samym said:

Hello anyone going through Kaiser? I am done with my 10 week classes and was wondering how long after do you speak to Surgeon and get surgery date? TIA

I am finishing my classes tomorrow and from what I was told you get a phone call with the surgeon in about 2-3 weeks. But surgeries for me in my region are currently on hold because of covid

I don’t know if you spoke to your surgeon yet, but I finished my classes on 12/23.
they sent in my paperwork.
I got a call today (12/29) to schedule the surgeon consult. I got my surgeon consult for 1/14.
so I will have my consult less than a month from classes ending.
*and I have to do another round of bloodwork prior to the consult. Which I will do on Monday.

I honestly am in no rush. They have halted surgeries for now until at LEAST January 10th. I can just work on loosing some more weight before I actually go in for the surgery .
once I have the consult on the 14th the surgeon will say yes or no. If yes, Then my name will go on a list for them to schedule when they start doing surgeries again. Which may very well be a few months away with how bad it is right now with covid

On 12/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, Orinskye said:

I don’t know if you spoke to your surgeon yet, but I finished my classes on 12/23.
they sent in my paperwork.
I got a call today (12/29) to schedule the surgeon consult. I got my surgeon consult for 1/14.
so I will have my consult less than a month from classes ending.
*and I have to do another round of bloodwork prior to the consult. Which I will do on Monday.

I honestly am in no rush. They have halted surgeries for now until at LEAST January 10th. I can just work on loosing some more weight before I actually go in for the surgery .
once I have the consult on the 14th the surgeon will say yes or no. If yes, Then my name will go on a list for them to schedule when they start doing surgeries again. Which may very well be a few months away with how bad it is right now with covid

I think we are pretty much on the same boat my apt with the surgeon is also in the 14... my 6 week lab retake however would be the 25th... lets me know how everything goes... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I also finished on 23rd. I just have not heard from them in regards to my surgeon appointment. I also didnt know we had to redue blood work and no psych appointment yet either. I hope to hear soon.

17 minutes ago, Samym said:

I also finished on 23rd. I just have not heard from them in regards to my surgeon appointment. I also didnt know we had to redue blood work and no psych appointment yet either. I hope to hear soon.

You only have to redo the labs if something was wrong the first time... i havent been notified of psych apt either

My blood work was perfect the first time around, but I have an appointment with my nephrologist a few days before my appointment with my surgeon consult so maybe my bloodwork is for him. I’ll have to look when I go in to get it done.

My psych eval was done about halfway through options. It was a quick 30 minute convo. No red flags from that discussion to flag me for eating disorders. My case manager person contacted me to set up that appointment and it was done a few months ago.
ekg was done after first bloodwork and that was fine as well.
my BMI is also at the lower end. I am now a BMI of about 38. I was 40/41 at the start of options.
I guess I’m considered a “low risk patient”? So things just moved along quickly. I qualified based on initial BMI, osteoarthritis, and Ckd.

Edited by Orinskye

Yea I did the ekg when I initially went for labs and that was fine ... i did have to retake the labs because my Vitamin D was low at 27 i guess they need it at 30 they gave me some pills and told me to take over the counter Vitamins for 5 weeks my 5 weeks is due the 25th... my BMI is at 33 so i dont think i am that high risk either... i am kinda glad i have to wait a little i really dont want to be going to the hospital right now or post surgery if need be with the covid surge... i would actually like to get vaccinated before crossing my fingers

Ok makes sense. My thyroid came back high and I was told to redue my test and redue it again in 3 weeks to make sure it stays stable.

Okay so correction to prior statement. My bloodwork was not for the Bariatric surgeon it was for my nephrologist 😅

so once you finish classes: they contacted me to set up surgeon consult and that’s it. he will give his yay or nay. I was nervous that I wouldn’t be approved because I started at 310 and at my last class we did our weigh in and I told them 304 (It was that time of the month) but a few days later I was 297. So I’ll just have to give him an updated weight when we have our chat.

did you guys do a last weight in? Check your lo message center? It’s odd that they would call some and not others.

2 hours ago, Orinskye said:

Okay so correction to prior statement. My bloodwork was not for the Bariatric surgeon it was for my nephrologist 😅

so once you finish classes: they contacted me to set up surgeon consult and that’s it. he will give his yay or nay. I was nervous that I wouldn’t be approved because I started at 310 and at my last class we did our weigh in and I told them 304 (It was that time of the month) but a few days later I was 297. So I’ll just have to give him an updated weight when we have our chat.

did you guys do a last weight in? Check your lo message center? It’s odd that they would call some and not others.

Yea we were weighed 3 times i started at 203 then 192 and final weight was 182 after the holidays i think im probably up to 190 again which is lot for me im only 5'1... I hope everything goes well ... Have you heard of someone getting regected i really hope that doesn't happen.... i havent heard anything about a psych apt... do you know what other steps are left ?

7 minutes ago, baritheri said:

Yea we were weighed 3 times i started at 203 then 192 and final weight was 182 after the holidays i think im probably up to 190 again which is lot for me im only 5'1... I hope everything goes well ... Have you heard of someone getting regected i really hope that doesn't happen.... i havent heard anything about a psych apt... do you know what other steps are left ?

The requirements were psych evaluation, ekg, bloodwork, weigh ins (also 3 mine were 310, 306, and 304... but now 297.... I’m just over a foot taller than you at 6’ 2) and then surgeon consult.

I did my psych eval around week 7 of classes. It was kind of by accident. They never reached out to schedule it with me they reached out to schedule bloodwork (which I already did) and *I* mentioned the psych eval and they just scheduled that for me then and there with an “oh yeah” . They did mention it several times during classes though to make that appointment if you haven’t already done so.
I talked to the nutritionist about the weight thing in depth, but it’s totally individual and up to the surgeon. The one thing she did stress big time as a red flag where that may happen is if you GAIN weight from initial weight week 1 of classes (without a reason.... some people might have had an injury so they couldn’t walk, other like me may gain weight periodically because of Water retention... you get the idea).

but others I’ve talked to who have had Kaiser had only lost a few pounds and they still had the surgery 🤷🏼‍♀️

My surgery consult got moved up.
so for anyone that searches in future:

classes started in October. Classes finished in late December.
had my surgery consult January 12.

surgeon said I am good to go. I do NOT need to do a liquid diet prior to surgery (my BMI is currently 38). My weight starting classes was 310 pounds and my current weight at the consult was 297 pounds.
he put my name on a list for surgeries to be scheduled as soon as they open up again