Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keto/Low Carb

4 years PO from GS. Would like to lose about 20lbs. Do sleevers need to do anything different when it comes to keto/low carb lifestyle?

So, you're back to dieting? The reality of dieting and diet failure hasn't changed.

Perhaps you should consider returning to your post-op plan. Our post-op plans are intended to be lifelong, sustainable plans.

Consistency and sustainability is the path to health, happiness, and weight maintenance.

Good luck,

Tek

3 hours ago, SKrae430 said:

4 years PO from GS. Would like to lose about 20lbs. Do sleevers need to do anything different when it comes to keto/low carb lifestyle?

My surgeon's recommended post-op eating plan is low-carb and I don't see that it differs significantly from the low-carb lifestyle I practiced prior to surgery. I'd say the only changes are (1) of course, I eat much smaller portion sizes now and (2) now I am very focused on making sure I get the recommended amount of Protein in. Other than that, it seems to be the same old low carb way of eating to me. I keep my carbs at about 50g per day, so it's not super-low Atkins induction levels, but low. I hope that helps!

3 hours ago, SKrae430 said:

I don't think it makes a difference, in the end so long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Though it *may* take a little longer this far out.

In maintenance, I had a couple times when I gained like 5-6 lbs after a period of eating too much or a period of decreased activity. The first time this happened was maybe 11 mnths post op and it took me a week to lose it. The last time it happened, it took me almost 2 months (at almost 2 yrs post op). It was much easier to go low cal before than it is now, probably cuz I'm used to eating more now?

Anyhoo, its not impossible, Keto/low carb or not.

Good Luck!

As Tek indicated, do you really want to go down the dieting road again, and then learn how to maintain a healthy weight? Keto will work as well as any other diet out there - about a 95% failure rate beyond a year. The usual problem with these diets is that people get tired of them and quit, or they reach their goal and go back to their old habits because they never established the healthy dietary habits that help maintain their weight.

There is such a thing as "bariatric keto" which tailors it to WLS needs - basically higher Protein and lower fat. It is essentially old school Atkins, but people can tell everyone that they're "doin' keto". The problem of all the other diets still remains which is what do you do once the fad fades - keep on with a "so yesterday" diet or jump onto the new latest thing?

If you do want to adopt keto as a lifestyle, I suggest that you do just that - take is as a serious iifestyle and learn how to live with it and minimize the nutritional deficiencies that are inherent in it. Think of it as similar to those who chose to go vegetarian/vegan - if one looks at it simply as not eating meat, then trouble is lurking as one needs to learn how to get adequate protein, and the right kinds. Likewise, with keto, one needs to learn how to get all of the Vitamins and minerals that we normally get from carbohydrate rich foods (all of our fruits, veg and grains.)

At least, if one is really serious about it, our Covid19 days are a good time to try it, as with our normal social distancing protocols, one will be less likely to offend others with their keto bad breath and BO.

what would you recommend for Macros, and calorie intake, I had gained 20lbs back durring Covid. I was at my goal and maintained for a few years, now struggling and not seeing the results I was expecting being a Gastric Bypass patient.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, alysia.rush said:

what would you recommend for Macros, and calorie intake, I had gained 20lbs back durring Covid. I was at my goal and maintained for a few years, now struggling and not seeing the results I was expecting being a Gastric Bypass patient.

I don't think anyone should recommend caloric intakes or macros for someone, unless they are a dietitian/nutritionist, there are simply too many variables to consider...age, weight, body composition, activity level, etc. What might work for one person may not work for another person, even if they are similar sizes/stages/time since surgery. You'd be better off scheduling an appointment with your dietitian/nutritionist to get recommendations tailored to you. You will have a far better chance of success with those than something some rando on the internet gave you, which after all, is what most of us are to one another.