Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does pain last?

Hi all! I had RNY Gastric Bypass on Friday & came home Saturday late afternoon. The pain level is severe! It does not feel like the pain reliever does anything to ebb it at all. I have been walking like a fiend even though it hurts. Every 2 hrs I walk 2 blocks. I even did it in the middle of the night because the pain was so bad I couldn’t sleep. How long does this pain last? Seriously thinking of going back to the hospital.

Congratulations.

The pain, unfortunately, has to run it's course. When you see your Doc for you surgical follow-up, if you still in this much pain I would make sure he understands your situation.

I admire your effort on walking 2 blocks, and am I reading this correctly, multiple times a day?. Until your pain subsides a bit, you might want to reduce it a bit. Walking uses abdominal muscles to keep you erect and balanced. At this point, I would run an experiment: Reduce my walking to 1/2 a block, just once, and see where my pain goes. But that's me, you do you.

You've got an adventure ahead, a lot of learning to do things you thought you knew how to do. Enjoy!

Good Luck,

Tek

Where is the pain at?
Is it the pain in your left shoulder? That’s pain from the gas they use to blow your abdomen up. That pain depends on how well your surgeon is at getting all the gas out. Mine lasted 3 weeks & it was bad! My daughter had a different surgeon as did have any pain! Heat & a tens unit helped me through it.

Ten - Thank you very much. Yes, I have been walking 1 block down and back every 90 minutes to 2hrs when I get up to go to the restroom. It is to get the gas out of by belly. It gets me to burp and release some of the gas. Have not had the ability to have a BM or pass gas since Thursday. Not too concerned about that part yet. Not like I have been putting much into my system. I’ve only had 13 Oz of Protein Shake total in 3 days so far. Still have 4 more meals to get in today.

I will try to ease up on the walking and see how that helps.

Thanks again,

Kim

Toodlerue:

It has been in my abdomen until about 30min ago when it started to move into my back a bit more. I am sure it is mostly gas pain, but the incisions are pretty painful too. The worst being on the left where he put a stitch in. I was just wondering how long it takes to get the gas pain out of the system. I realize he cut through my muscles in 5 decent size spots. Those are going to be tender for a bit.

thanks for your reply!

Kim

2 hours ago, Soon2BThinKim said:

Hi all! I had RNY Gastric Bypass on Friday & came home Saturday late afternoon. The pain level is severe! It does not feel like the pain reliever does anything to ebb it at all. I have been walking like a fiend even though it hurts. Every 2 hrs I walk 2 blocks. I even did it in the middle of the night because the pain was so bad I couldn’t sleep. How long does this pain last? Seriously thinking of going back to the hospital.

let your surgeon know he can give you a small dose of tramadol for at home by call in scriptits a little stronger than tylenol

1 hour ago, Soon2BThinKim said:

Toodlerue:

It has been in my abdomen until about 30min ago when it started to move into my back a bit more. I am sure it is mostly gas pain, but the incisions are pretty painful too. The worst being on the left where he put a stitch in. I was just wondering how long it takes to get the gas pain out of the system. I realize he cut through my muscles in 5 decent size spots. Those are going to be tender for a bit.

thanks for your reply!

Kim

hi im about 1 mo out and had some incision pains for 2 weeks. a couple of mine came back open though. first always let bariatric nurse know about incision issues. if after 3 days post op you have redness let them know it indications inflammation which should only occur during the initial healing (up to 72 hours or something my surgeon said). Next i would get a heating pad and plop it on there. sometimes that helps me.gas pain was generally shoulder. you can help gas pain along by walking but also by taking gas x my surgeon said some does go in bowel. there is a chewable simethicone you can get over counter my surgeon approve ..ask yours. My surgeon decided to prescribe it to me so my insurance would pay which is great lol. I had some deep cuts like you. I had some adhesions under there they also had to cut through. as far as back pain i would wonder if you might need a pee test from your pcp just to check kidneys (because of your back pain). sometimes they can check through something called a cbc and what you want to look at is your white blood cells to indicate infection. are you getting in your Water? its hard not to worry much the first few weeks because it is all new (!) but alot of what you are describing i went through and read others went through except the back pain which is why i think its a good idea to check the pee. hope any of this helps and hope your pain gets better. p.s. your incisions also might like some ice if the heat dont work. you gotta find what works for your body

Edited by tarotcardreader
typos galore

Thank you. I will give the nurse a call. The incisions are a very angry red.

1 hour ago, Soon2BThinKim said:

Thank you. I will give the nurse a call. The incisions are a very angry red.

Hope everything it gets better 🦄

Hope you feel better. Sorry you are experiencing this.

This was helpful, as I am 3 days post op and was wondering about the pain as well. That shoulder pain...wow!! Also-Go GVegas!

9/17 Surgery - it felt better by day 7-8. I still have an achy abdominal if too much activity.