Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Truck Driver needs research help



Recommended Posts

Looking to do the Sleeve in Mexico. I drive a truck OTR. So little to no home time and always sitting. So healthy food is still bad no matter what I do. When I go to plan this. From what I can gleam from others in the forum. not much is said about what really goes on. If I plan it and have to sit at a doctors office for the interview first? or can I do that at any doctor. Would it be better to take a short amount of time off and get a few of the interviews out of the way that the doctor would need before going further with possible payment and date? Nothing is really clear. Im just sitting at my laptop at the moment in Texas. Home time is Chicago. So any help and info would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2020 at 5:19 PM, AndrewSS02 said:

Looking to do the Sleeve in Mexico. I drive a truck OTR. So little to no home time and always sitting. So healthy food is still bad no matter what I do. When I go to plan this. From what I can gleam from others in the forum. not much is said about what really goes on. If I plan it and have to sit at a doctors office for the interview first? or can I do that at any doctor. Would it be better to take a short amount of time off and get a few of the interviews out of the way that the doctor would need before going further with possible payment and date? Nothing is really clear. Im just sitting at my laptop at the moment in Texas. Home time is Chicago. So any help and info would be great.

Andrew

if you are considering having your surgery in Mexico you might want to consider Dr. Selim Jalil Illan as your surgeon. Here is some additional information on Dr. Selim Jalil Illan for you to consider. https://hospitalbc.com/dr-jalil-illan/

1). Dr. Selim Jalil Illan has been designated as a Master Surgeon in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, by the Surgical Review Corporation based out of Raleigh, North Carolina United States of America.

2). Dr. Selim Jalil Illan is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).

3). Dr. Selim Jalil Illan is a member of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), The International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO), Member, Latin American Association of Endoscopic Surgery along with Mexican College for the Surgery of Obesity, Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery, Mexican Association of General Surgery, International Society of Surgery.

4). Dr. Selim Jalil Illan was one of the founding members of the Bariatric College of Baja California.

5). Dr. Selim Jalil Illan held the position of Director of Emergency Trauma Surgery for nine years at IMSS Hospital #1.

6). All of Dr. Selim Jalil Illan’s surgeries are performed at Hospital BC which is designated as an International Center of Excellence Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery for by the Surgical Review Corporation, one of the few outside of the United States and one of four in all of Mexico! Also, Hospital BC is the ONLY American owned hospital in Mexico dedicated to weight loss procedures!

Please feel free to call me 619-900-7808 or emailing me Bill@hospitalbc.com if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to Mexico there are also a number of US physicians that specialize in self-pay and patients traveling for surgery. Those are all going to have a process set up for you to be able to do what all is needed when you arrive for surgery or beforehand with ease. There are a number of them in Texas also Las Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a truck driver I’m going to Mexico to slimmer me a lot of other drivers I know have gone here that’s why I’m going there. So far everyone there seem nice. I leave for surgery on Monday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the replies. Only issue is nobody answered the main question. Can I go to any doctor while over the road for my physical and such. Or should I schedule home time to make sure it gets done? As well as the process goes. Ive looked into self pay for most places in the states. Most are around 15k. Thats still no insurance as mine will not pay for any of this. Hence the MX. Im trying to get info on the process so I can either plan time off and get it done with doctors near my home. Or best case, on the road. (Im on the road 4 weeks at a time.) Trying to plan anything is hard. Especially if I have to take multiple days off in the middle of several weeks. Any Ideas for this? Im guessing the home time would be good. But again, random schedule for follow up dates before surgery. After wouldnt be an issue. Its before hand thats going to be hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t need any physicals or preop anything for my self pay Mexico surgery. I literally called, they asked my weight height to get BMI (40 at the time) and booked it with a $300 deposit (I think, it may have been $200). Showed up when they told me and had some minor blood work done the day before at the facility and surgery the next morning.

Edit:  I used Dr Galileo Villereal in Nuevo Laredo and the total cost including a hernia repair was $4400. The surgery was at a public hospital, they put us up in a hotel the night before.  You’re pretty much on your own once you leave, you can call or email if you have questions or anything after, or use your own doctor in the states if you need something but it was all smooth for me and I didn’t need anything. 

Another edit: I had my surgery mid June and I’m down just shy of 70lbs already, I should have done this sooner. I had zero complications. I was given some papers on suggested post op diet plans which matched most of the others I’ve read about, but at week 3 I switched to the mayo Clinic’s post op plan (it can be googled) because I really wanted cottage cheese :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am go to Tijuana Mexico I didn’t have to have a physical nothing just filled out applications they approved it sent deposit and made payments. They will cover procedure mine is gastric bypass with hernia repair. 4500.00 that includes motel they pick you up in San Diego and take you across you have your surgery stay in their recovery house they do a leak test and monitor you to make sure your ok for 3 to 4 days depending on the procedure you want. Then they take you back across to San Diego to the airport the plane tickets are on you if you take a companion it’s 40.00 extra plus you have to cover their food and extra night at the motel. The place I’m going is slimmer me they have lots of easy ways to make your payment when your out on the road from your phone. You should look them up and if you decide when you fill out the application just the them know I sent you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I didn’t need any physicals or preop anything for my self pay Mexico surgery. I literally called, they asked my weight height to get BMI (40 at the time) and booked it with a $300 deposit (I think, it may have been $200). Showed up when they told me and had some minor blood work done the day before at the facility and surgery the next morning.

Edit: I used Dr Galileo Villereal in Nuevo Laredo and the total cost including a hernia repair was $4400. The surgery was at a public hospital, they put us up in a hotel the night before. You’re pretty much on your own once you leave, you can call or email if you have questions or anything after, or use your own doctor in the states if you need something but it was all smooth for me and I didn’t need anything.

Another edit: I had my surgery mid June and I’m down just shy of 70lbs already, I should have done this sooner. I had zero complications. I was given some papers on suggested post op diet plans which matched most of the others I’ve read about, but at week 3 I switched to the mayo Clinic’s post op plan (it can be googled) because I really wanted cottage cheese :)

Thanks for the info. This is what I'm looking for info wise. Im hoping when I go to do everything, its similar to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, txblueeyes said:

I am go to Tijuana Mexico I didn’t have to have a physical nothing just filled out applications they approved it sent deposit and made payments. They will cover procedure mine is gastric bypass with hernia repair. 4500.00 that includes motel they pick you up in San Diego and take you across you have your surgery stay in their recovery house they do a leak test and monitor you to make sure your ok for 3 to 4 days depending on the procedure you want. Then they take you back across to San Diego to the airport the plane tickets are on you if you take a companion it’s 40.00 extra plus you have to cover their food and extra night at the motel. The place I’m going is slimmer me they have lots of easy ways to make your payment when your out on the road from your phone. You should look them up and if you decide when you fill out the application just the them know I sent you.

Thank you as well. This is more info Im looking into as well as the latter. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about crossing the border. I have my passport. Just got that in. Whats the border like? In all my driving Ive never been near the border. Other than a ferry into Canada. They just check my manifest for my delivery though. I figure this is going to be different with a passport. Just want to bring my clothes. Maybe my laptop. But just want to know as much as possible. So as when coming back with Prescription medication I dont want to get flagged. CDL and all. Thanks again for any info you can all provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t (legally) bring back any controlled substances. I wasn’t checked the two times I went (once for me and once for my wife). One time we were driven across by an employee of the surgeons office, the other time I opted to just drive across my self.
We had some tramadol both times coming back but they never searched. They can search and they can confiscate it and they can fine you, or any combination of those depending on the CBP Agent.

Going into Mexico was easy, they only did a COVID temperature check on us one time, didn’t ask for passports or where we were going etc.
Coming back in US customs just asked what city we visited, how long we were there and one asked why (“stomach surgery”) and we were on our way with no further questions, no search etc. I was advised to NOT say we had medicine if asked, that would make a search more likely. I was also advised that a fine (if levied) would be the same whether I declared it or not. I’m not a lawyer, I’m not versed in CBP policy, official or unofficial, that’s just what the guy who transports medical tourists across the border every day for a living told us, I’m sure he’s seen every scenario.
I’m similar to you in that I like to know every detail so my own research into crossing with medicine for the most part confirmed what our driver told us. In most cases it seems like CBP is pretty reasonable if it’s a small amount clearly for personal use (you’ll have wounds to show) and while some did have small amounts confiscated anyway, the fines I read about were for people bringing back 100s of pills, not 10 or 30. BUT AGIAN, it’s always possible you get someone having a bad day or who won’t be understanding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to add to my previous comment neither my wife nor I needed any of the tramadol, we only brought it with us just in case (and it’s currently a pita getting it in the states if we did need it). She got opioids in the hospital the day of and day after surgery, I got nothing and was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/6/2020 at 7:06 AM, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

You can’t (legally) bring back any controlled substances. I wasn’t checked the two times I went (once for me and once for my wife). One time we were driven across by an employee of the surgeons office, the other time I opted to just drive across my self.
We had some tramadol both times coming back but they never searched. They can search and they can confiscate it and they can fine you, or any combination of those depending on the CBP Agent.

Going into Mexico was easy, they only did a COVID temperature check on us one time, didn’t ask for passports or where we were going etc.
Coming back in US customs just asked what city we visited, how long we were there and one asked why (“stomach surgery”) and we were on our way with no further questions, no search etc. I was advised to NOT say we had medicine if asked, that would make a search more likely. I was also advised that a fine (if levied) would be the same whether I declared it or not. I’m not a lawyer, I’m not versed in CBP policy, official or unofficial, that’s just what the guy who transports medical tourists across the border every day for a living told us, I’m sure he’s seen every scenario.
I’m similar to you in that I like to know every detail so my own research into crossing with medicine for the most part confirmed what our driver told us. In most cases it seems like CBP is pretty reasonable if it’s a small amount clearly for personal use (you’ll have wounds to show) and while some did have small amounts confiscated anyway, the fines I read about were for people bringing back 100s of pills, not 10 or 30. BUT AGIAN, it’s always possible you get someone having a bad day or who won’t be understanding...

Thanks. Im more worried about coming back with medication. Dont need anything else. Just what the Dr might suggest. Anything for pain and infection. Worst case. Had a few surgerys in the past for random things but Ibuprofen has always worked and never needed my prescription for painkillers. Yet this will be internal with growing and eating pains after the fact. Thats what Im worried about. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×