Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op & now gaining weight.... why ?

Hi everyone,

I had my by-pass operation 3 weeks ago and lost 14 pounds in the first 2 weeks after it. During the 3rd week I noticed that my weight loss had somehow stopped, and at the end of the 3rd week I had put 2 pounds back on.

I am still on liquid foods such as Water, Milk, Clear Soup, Yoghurt, Jelly.

I only have each day a Yoghurt or a Jelly for one meal, and Clear Soup for another meal. In between I drink Water or Milk. I had a Stroke 22 months ago and I am now in a wheelchair, so I am unfortunately very limited to being able to do exercise.

I just can’t understand why all of a sudden my weight has stopped coming off me, as I eat less than a rabbit does. I am not even starting to feel hungry anymore. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the same problem as me before. I’m sure that there is a perfect reason for this strange weight loss to stop like this, but I just don’t know what it is.

Any help would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

most of us have our first major stall sometime during the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. It's usually during week 3 (but not always), so we call it "the three week stall". Sounds like you're right on schedule!

the increase in weight is probably just Water weight. It should come off within a couple of days.

Try not to weigh yourself so often as it can get discouraging. I bounce around a lot too no matter if I am eating solid food or not.

Follow the plan as you are and the weight will come off.

good luck!

Thank you for those words of encouragement because it's been been two months for me and it seems I am at a stall now. I'm able to eat a bit more and not feel that I'm full but I just stop.

16 hours ago, Arthur Belly said:

I only have each day a Yoghurt or a Jelly for one meal, and Clear Soup for another meal. In between I drink Water or Milk. I had a Stroke 22 months ago and I am now in a wheelchair, so I am unfortunately very limited to being able to do exercise.

Being limited to exercise isn’t a problem, I’m unable to exercise due to my own limitations. I compensate in other ways. Three weeks out is early to worry about 2lbs. My weight has tendency to stall a few days sometimes backtrack a bit then I lose a little. It’s even more obvious in the beginning. Your body is adjusting to the drastic Changes surgery has caused.

do you have a nutritionist? What concerns me is that you don’t seem to be getting enough enough Protein and might be getting too much sugar? Dairy milk and most yogurts (even plain) are quite high sugar.

You need to be getting 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight or 0.36 per lb. of body weight. Usually from protein supplements with little to no sugar. I’d suggest products but don’t know what’s available where you live. Icelandic yogurt or Greek yogurt is generally the least sugar. I buy ripple milk (unsweetened pea milk) since it’s little to no sugar and I like the taste. I usually mix TwoGood yogurt with PEScience Protein Powder. Also instead of plain broth, Bone Broth has more protein. But you can get protein Soups like here on BariatricPal.

I guess some surgeons don’t give dietary guidelines or ones that don’t say how important protein is, and recommend milk, and other carb foods that can stall progress. That confuses me because then it doesn’t teach people to use the tool the surgery gave them.

you will do ok though this is just a bump in the road. Do get enough protein though. you can’t afford to lose muscle.

All the best to you in your recovery from a stroke. My mom was in a wheelchair over twenty years, Due two two major spine surgeries after a car accident when I was a kid, then she had a stroke. Thankfully she fought hard and is walking with a walker now.

I hope success for you.