Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walmart

I hate Walmart. I hate being in their stores, their company policies. I just hate them. I hate that every 5 blocks, theres a super giant huge store just raking in so much money. Do they have good prices? Sure, I guess, but they are also killing small business in the United States. In any case, I read this article, and it really got under my skin.

Accident Victims Face Grab for Legal Winnings - WSJ.com

so much for the holiday spirit.

There was a big demonstration in my city the other day because Walmart wants to open up a store in an old part of the city and no one wants Walmart there.

As for what that extraordinarily wealthy company is doing to that handicapped woman and her family...bastards!!!!

I can say that I get the principle of what they are trying to do, but good lord... if the settlement money doesn't begin to cover the cost of what this woman needs, they should keep their greedy little paws off of it.

I think Wal-Mart is cutting off its nose to spite its face on this deal. This woman paid into her health insurance plan and was entitled to have her bills paid, as is any other participant. All they're doing is forcing her onto public assistance before it's absolutely necessary and making the government responsible for bills she and her family were more than willing to pay as long as the settlement money held out. BTW, I can't say I never go to Wal-Mart, but it's usually not my first choice. And I swear, everyone I've ever dealt with there has the IQ of the average house plant.

I hate Walmart also. Has anyone seen the documentary "Walmart-The High Cost of Low Prices"? It's been on Starz channel. Wow, what an eye opener!! They treat their employees like absolute dirt!! Seriously, I was so disgusted by this documentary I vowed never to shop there again, and I haven't. I go to Target for everything!!

I have seen the documentary and I agree that is was an eye opener. I suggest to anyone that hasn't seen it, to watch it.

I appreciate Wal-Mart, thinking of customers and keeping prices in check. Nobody is forced to work there, seriously folks. I prefer Target just because I like their stuff better most of the time, but I will always check Wal-Mart first to see if they have what I want, cuz I know it will be cheaper.

I haven't seen the documentary, and I don't care to because they have an agenda. I don't believe that they show all sides of the issues at hand. They show what they want you to see.

i go to Walmart because i'm cheap and so are they, plus i can get most things i need in one visit. do i agree with how they do things? no. and whenever it is slow and i'm not in a hurry(rarely) i attempt to recruit employees.

I would gladly pay more for something if it meant I was supporting a small business, shopping at a place I enjoyed, etc. "Cheap" isn't all that I look for in deciding who gets my money, and the 27 cents or buck or whatever it may be (I don't know, I don't do much price comparing, if it's more than I want to pay in the store I will go online) that I would save buying it at Wal-Mart over somewhere isn't worth it, IMO.

I've certainly shopped at Wal-Mart -- there are only so many places you can get stuff at 2 in the morning, only so many places I can buy something "every day" for someone when Wal-Mart is the only megaplex in their town, etc. -- and there are some things that I've not yet been able to find anywhere else (including rapid blast, I've looked everywhere local and they're the only ones who carry it). During the holidays we adopt a family and their gift card will be to Wal-Mart because for them, stretching each buck is probably more important than anything else. It just isn't to me personally.

I don't know what it is about Wal-Mart cashiers, but it's like they're trained to be slow. I <heart> self checkout! And umm... wow, how do you say this without being mean. At least at our Wal-Mart, probably 80% of the employees are unsavory. And I don't mean "poor" or "low life" - I mean -- not helpful, ill-mannered, filthy (I'm sorry, but you should see the hands of some of the people working with the food - ugh!). I truly don't see that at other stores, large or small.

You'd have to drug my husband and drag him into Wal-Mart to get him through the doors. Or put xbox 360s on sale for $50. He abhors it. :P

I always used Wal-Mart but hated the experience.. then I discovered stores that don't suck like Wal-Mart, so now I 100% HATE Wal-Mart and get a sense of dread when I have to go with someone.

But this article is really sad. I know our insurance policies go up a large amount every year due to what the insurance pays out, so I get why Wal-Mart did it. If they reimburse insurance, insurance won't raise the rates, which most (maybe all) employers pass on to the employees to pay. But I would think for such a large company like Wal-Mart, 470k isn't that much in the scheme of things for their insurance companies. And what the hell is insurance for, if they are going to make you pay them back? I would definitely fight it. As the individual, she is paying for the insurance.. the clause that they can sue for it, doesn't seem right.

Well let me put my "I love Walmart" hat on. Why you ask? I'm a single mom that doesn't get child support and I'm barely making it. Walmart saves me a huge amount of money. For many of us..it's just about survival. I'm sorry but you don't have to work at Walmart if you don't want to. So don't. Then maybe Walmart will get the hint and then they will have to attract people with better benefits.

Also from my experiences, walmarts vary greatly. There are ones I refuse to go into because of how unorganized and unclean they are. Luckily there are so many I can choose which ones I want to go to.

Walmart wouldn't be nearly so bad if the stores were better organized, I think. At the ones I've been to, there are never enough cash registers open, so you spend more time waiting in line than you do actually shopping. Between that, the slow cashiers, the horrid parking, the masses of screaming children, and the people who NEVER seem to notice that they are standing in the middle of the aisle and you need to get by them, it's miserable. I try to avoid Walmart at all costs, unless I can go after 11:00 pm. Hell, I've even been known to drive half an hour to a Target in the next town over, just to avoid going to Walmart.

To tell ya the truth the downtown Toronto Walmart, the one in my ethnic hood, is pretty good. It is fairly well organised and the cashiers do bag the merchandise. The Greeters, as I have mentioned before, now suit our local environment - they are more in the way of folks who ignore you unless they want to enforce something. Canadians, well Torontonians, prefer this. We don't like people walking up to us getting all in our face with friendliness. On the other hand, our cashiers reflect our ethnic diversity and they are friendly when you display good humour to them. This is very nice. It is fun to share a joke when you are buying 48 cans of Fancy Feast!

The only problem which we Canucks have with big box stores, especially those who do not have a unionised staff, is that these stores can push other stores out of business. This is not only a problem for our small stores but also for our own big box stores. You see, in our big box stores the workers are unionised.