Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many steps per day with pedometer?

Hi All Fellow Bandsters:

I just got a pedometer yesterday. Today I took 11,352 steps so far, won't be many more because I'm done walking outside for today.

Does anybody know how many steps we should be doing each day?:(

Please let me know so that I can set a daily target.

Thanks.

Sue

I measure with a bodybugg and average between 10 and 11,000 a day. When I called bodybugg for my assessment she was surprised that I marked myself at sedimentary but had that step count. I am going to shoot for 15,000 a day once I get the band, at least that is the plan.

The general goal is 10,000 for health.

But I think that's way understating what you need to do for weightloss.

If you have an everyday lifestyle which gets you up to 10,000 steps (step AWAY from the computer, television, playstation, lol) in your running around, shopping, cleaning etc, then you're not too sedentary but for lasting weightloss after the initial easy stuff, you'd probably need to exercise on top of that 10,000. I know for myself, when I do a moderate run and my everyday life I take about 18,000 a day.

I wear a pedometer sometimes to remind me to get OFF my butt and away from the computer and go and clean something instead. They're a really useful tool for increasing your incidental activity, which is a big part of the challenge of losing weight, changing everyday habits. There's no point going for a run or to the gym if you sit on your behind the rest of the day. But I do believe you need a fitness activity four or five times a week on TOP of your 10,000 steps a day.

Jachut,

As soon as I read your post in my email I knew it was you. I have read about every post you have made and admire your work ethic and your results. I don't think I can put as many miles on the board running as you do but who knows if I am not carrying a 80 pound fat jacket I might surprise myself. In 2000 I completed the South Lake Tahoe marathon and I walked most of it and ran some so that is my long term goal once again. So what is your high and low on steps?

Actually I've been wearing a pedometer lately becuase I've not been running much - had a back injury, had to let that rest and then developed a horrid sinus infection, I've just felt crap. On an average day, bit of shopping, bit of housework, go to uni for a lecture, take kids to sport, etc, I clock up around 10,000 steps. Being at home with kids is quite an active lifestyle. But if I schlep around spending too long in front of the computer, its down around 6,000.

When I run - and i really AM going again tonight, feelign crap or not, I usually run about 7km and that equates to 7,000 steps. So for me, probably 5 days a week I do 17,000 or so, and two days I do about 10,000.

Thanks Jacqui:

I'll shoot for 12,000 for now and go up from there. I might be getting a bigger bang for those 12,000 steps because I'm carrying 80+ excess pounds along for the trip. My job is a sedentary office job, but I can walk like crazy during my one hour lunch and two breaks and after work too. I'm in Massachusetts, so it's getting colder out. It's much easier to walk in the cooler weather than the hot weather for me.

Your picture is amazing. Wouldn't know you were ever overweight.

Congratulations to you on all of your success.

Sue

I really worry about what will happen when I return to work, lol. Being home with kids is a very busy lifestyle, but it wont always be so easy for me to clock up 10,000 without trying either.

A word of warning though - my mum is in hospital, she had a minor heart attack yesterday at 67. She's going to be fine, she's having a stent put in, but she walks 18 holes of golf 3 times a week, yet I've been worried lately about her fitness, on holidays recently, a walk up to the lighthouse nearly killed her, she was puffing and panting, and she had a go on my treadmill and could barely keep up with walking 4 miles an hour, she hopped off and tried to pretend she wasnt out of breath kind of thing.

She does a LOT of steps courtesy of her golf, but it doesnt do a thing for fitness - SOME of your steps each day need to be at a much higher intensity than strolling around, some of us hate exercise, but you really need to be FIT for your health, not just moving if you know what I mean.

- SOME of your steps each day need to be at a much higher intensity than strolling around, some of us hate exercise, but you really need to be FIT for your health, not just moving if you know what I mean.

I totally agree with it this Jachut. At our support group a few months back there was an exercise physiologist there talking with us about activity and health. She was saying something along the lines of "It is okay if you get 10,000 steps in per day because you are at least doing something, even if it is just strolling around at work" It pissed me off because here she was trying to help people justify not working out. Walking around at work is NOT the same as having a good workout. When I work I always have 12,000+ steps. That's not difficult for me. But if I did not workout along with it for the additional 8,000 steps I would not be losing weight.

Thanks gorgeous.

Do you have the "10,000 steps" program as an official thing there? Here, they're just trying to encourage people to move more, but I think the health profession is pushing it as an anything is better than nothing at all kind of thing. If making it non threatening and easy gets people off the couch, that's a good thing, but it is NOT the same as real fitness and it does improve health and help to prevent those risk factors (obesity, high blood pressure etc) from escalating, but people really need to be FIT, not just doing what they should be doing anyway.

Its a fantastic place to start when you're very obese and unfit and it takes effort, and I applaud it, but over time you need more.

By the way, my mum is much brighter and happier this morning, had a good night, no more episodes and is going in for an angiogram today. My grandma had a heart attack at the same age and lived to the ripe old age of 85 driving us all nuts, lol, so we're all positive that this is nothing more than a warning and she's going to be just fine.

I agree that it is good to move, but when I hear someone (especially a health professional) say that walking around at work or cleaning your house is a replacement for exercise, I really just wanna bitch slap them.

Jacqui:

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope everything turns out alright with her.

When I say I'm walking at work that doesn't mean walking around at a leisurely pace at work during my work routines. I sit my fat butt in a chair while I'm doing a desk job. However, three times a day I stop and go outside and walk laps around the building at a fairly quick pace (for me it's taxing at 15 minute miles walking) twice a day for one mile each and at lunch a longer walk for two miles. Often I walk at night for one or two more miles too.

When I'm thinner I'll surely have to walk more to get more out of it, but I think if I'm shooting for 12,000 per day for now that should be good. My scale tells me it's good, and frankly I don't have enough time in the day to do more than 12,000.

Thanks for your advice. I admire your work ethic too.

Sue

When I say I'm walking at work that doesn't mean walking around at a leisurely pace at work during my work routines. I sit my fat butt in a chair while I'm doing a desk job. However, three times a day I stop and go outside and walk laps around the building at a fairly quick pace (for me it's taxing at 15 minute miles walking) twice a day for one mile each and at lunch a longer walk for two miles. Often I walk at night for one or two more miles too.

See now that is really walking to me. What I am refering to is the walking done when you have to go walk to your bosses office, or to the cafeteria, or the mailroom. When you actually take a time out from working and put forth an effort that is not job related, that is a good workout.

Jacqui:

Sue

Wow, Sue. You are my she-ro! :(

i need to just find the time to do it.