Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have stopped the process

I was coming here for advise and info...I learned about the different doctors and got such good info...then arguments and strife broke out on some of the threads...it was even suggested that the posters ID was fake :cool:and that they were really a co-ordinator for a doctor in Mexico. I felt that if the posters were fakes and just here to falsly testify about the doctors "good work"...then it all must be a big $$ scam All of this scared the heck out of me and I decided to stop the process for lapband surgery all together...:hungry: I am sad:(

Wannarunfree, getting the lapband is a medical decision that only you and your doctor can make. If you are medically qualified for surgery and believe having a gastric band can make it easier for you to lose weight and keep it off, then you have to decide FOR YOURSELF if you want to take that step.

The infighting and b.s. that you might see on various message boards should have absolutely nothing to do with your decision. You should indeed steer clear of doctors with poor reputations, or feel free to disregard the information given by posters who seem to have some other agenda, but none of that is relevant to your decision-making about this medical procedure.

Make the decision for yourself on a medical basis ONLY, and then look for your best option for how to get it done. Take it one step at a time and ask loads of questions along the way.

There are just as many ways to get banded as there are to buy a car, and research is crucial.

Wannarunfree:

If I were you I would get banded, but stop coming to this website if the bs that some people post is bothering you. I can tell you, from experience, that lapband works. It is working for me now, and I hope, and expect that it will be working for me for another 81 pounds and forever after. I cannot list how many good things have happened to me since I was banded.

It's your choice, but I recommend that you get informed, and then get the band, and never mind the bs. It's very easy to ignore the bs.

Good luck.

Sue

There are many good docs in Mexico and the US. Just do your research, verify everything you are told by anyone and things will be fine. The majority of docs are great, there is no reason to put off banding if that is what you want.

Good luck to you!

I am a real person that had it done and it is the best thing I have ever done. I was sleeping all the time with no energy and not caring about doing anything anymore before the surgery. I have only lost 24 lbs. so far but I cannot tell you how good I feel already. I am 8 weeks out. Rethink...are you happy now?

Wannarunfree,

The previous bandsters are exactly correct, your decision to get the band should be based on your own weight loss needs, your health, what your primary care physician and weight loss surgeon says, not on a bunch of banter on this forum.

I am newly banded and I am truly happy with my decision and am determined to make this thing work for me. It has not been easy, and as we all know, being overweight and fighting our physical and mental hunger has never been easy, and is likely to be with us for the rest of our lives regardless of whether you are banded or not. But the band was the right decision for me because I was headed toward a serious number of co-morbidities and my family history is really bad, to include early death.

I too researched the band on this site and others. My experience on this site is not the same as yours. Sure there is some bs, but all forums have that, and frankly there is far less on this site then others I have been on. And sure there are a couple posts with less than scrupulous agenda's, but only a couple, it would be hard to ban all of these posters, so you need to be your own filter.

By and large, the huge majority of the folks on this forum are here for the same reasons you are, to provide and receive advice and encouragement as it is needed. This site has helped me so much. My head knows exactly what I need to do, but communicating with a unique group of people who are all going through similar physical and mental issues that you are experiencing helps.

This site helped me make my decision to get the band, provided me support near my surgery date when I was thinking of backing out, and continues to support me through the post-op healing period.

Good luck to you and I really pray that your decision, regardless of what that decision is, will find you healthier and happy in the coming holiday season and new year.

hi wannarunfree,

i'm glad you decided to speak to your doctor again.

i use these website for information. i found my doctor here and am super pleased with him. originally i was going in a different direction before i was connected to LBT. but a few caring women pointed me in the direction to do my research (similar to what alexandra has done for you)

i saw some of those threads you were referring to and was quite appalled by them. i try to ignore them. they dont add to my weight loss and could actually sabotage it if i get involved in it.

but there are so many helpful, caring people on here.....i think you can see on your thread the concern of people in wanting to encourage you

let us know how you make out

I would not let this site make my decision for me one way or another.The band is working very well for me and i am glad i did it.This site is like any other that includes peoples opinions. Some are good , some are bad.Base your decision on medical advice and research. Donna