Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder question

I'm just curious if the Dr's recommend a certain or special kind of Protein Powder after surgery. Right now I do a smoothie almost daily for Breakfast with Optimum Nutrition powder. However, 1 scoop plus 8oz of milk is 200 calories. Two of these a day would pretty much put me at my calories for the day early on, which I'm guessing would be fine since I would get most of my Protein in .

Unfamiliar with that Protein powder but I would skip the traditional milk. Mix it with Water or almond milk. Another good alternative is Fairlife milk, which is less sugar and more protein.

My surgeon gave me a 2 page list of recommended Protein shakes/powders. I mix mine with almond milk NOT Water, which I think tastes gross. I use Unjury, and Syntrax Nectar. The second one I get on Amazon. Unjury I buy directly from the company.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I used to drink almond milk but it has no nutritional value. I searched for a zero sugar milk alternative with Protein and Now I use Ripple milk, it’s a plant based milk. Unsweetened regular or unsweetened vanilla have zero sugar, But the best thing if you have 8 ounces that’s 8 grams protein with no sugar. I think 8 ounces is 60 calories for unsweetened plain and 70 for unsweetened vanilla.

i haven’t used that brand of protein, I think nutritionists are too stuck on 100% whey protein being best. I prefer a blend of whey and casein. I use PEScience brand. I mix one portion of PEScience, 6 ounces Ripple milk and some Water for a total of 160 calories and 30 grams of protein (depends on the flavor protein powder) it comes out less than 1 gram sugar (certain flavors might be 2 grams)

That’s my go to breakfast, though I mix In having a Koia shake every so often. (RTD Plant based protein)

Edited by Darktowerdream

I used Water all the time.

Most my powders come between 110-150cal per scoop and 22-27 grams Protein depending on WHICH brand I buy

Thank you everyone! I figure I'll get a whole list of stuff when I see the surgeon, which should be next month. I used to use almond milk, but the nutritionist suggested going back to regular milk (lactose free) for the added Protein.

Its always good to get outside opinions especially for protein powders, some taste really gross.

23 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

Unfamiliar with that Protein Powder but I would skip the traditional milk. Mix it with Water or almond milk. Another good alternative is Fairlife milk, which is less sugar and more Protein.

I've seen that milk, and need to give it a try. Looks pricey, but I figure my overall grocery bill will still be cheaper due to the shear decrease in food. Plus I would rather pay the extra for something healthy. How is the taste?

1 hour ago, Nonnaof4 said:

Thank you everyone! I figure I'll get a whole list of stuff when I see the surgeon, which should be next month. I used to use almond milk, but the nutritionist suggested going back to regular milk (lactose free) for the added Protein.

Its always good to get outside opinions especially for Protein powders, some taste really gross.

I tried quite a few protein powders and RTD protein and I found PEScience had the best taste for me. The blend they use seems more palatable and digestible and it’s little to no sugar. I get it from Vitacost.com since I’ve shopped with them for years and get coupons. Every so often if I’m lucky it’s a big coupon (usually if I have stuff waiting in my cart to purchase)

for RTD a good shake is Labrada LEAN body. In particular the salted caramel flavor. It was a bit costly so I’d bought it when it was bogo by the case from Vitamin Shoppe but for now I’m mixing my morning protein.

Tip. I mix it and put it in the fridge at least 30 minutes so it thickens up and then blends more.

I like the Ripple milk because it’s no sugar. I’m not sure why nutritionists push skim milk, my nutritionist suggests no more than 4 grams of sugar or maybe it was 5 but regular milk has much more. Target has a good price on ripple milk. I use 6 ounces a day so it does last almost a week. (Six days)

Edited by Darktowerdream

The most important thing is high quality Protein powder with at least 80% protein.

Either concentrate or isolate or casein or a combination of them is fine just be wary of added sugars and some bad additives.

Most decent protein powders will come with added amino acids and such and will mix easily with a shaker cup.

The WPI I buy is 90% so 30g serve is 27g protein.

The WPC is 80% or 25g per 30g serve

It has a whole list of amino acids like Luecine

There are some brands that are absolute junk so be careful :)

I'm going to rethink my milk. I have a bunch of this powder so I'm waiting to see what the recommend after surgery which will hopefully be next month.

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-us/product/gold-standard-100-whey

This is the powder I've been using it has very little sugar, mixes well and tastes great.

Double Rich Chocolate

Just now, Nonnaof4 said:

I'm going to rethink my milk. I have a bunch of this powder so I'm waiting to see what the recommend after surgery which will hopefully be next month.

This is the powder I've been using it has very little sugar, mixes well and tastes great.

Double Rich Chocolate

Heard a Lot of good reviews about this company here in Australia

3 minutes ago, Nonnaof4 said:

Double Rich Chocolate

Looks good, if you can find unsweetened plain Ripple milk, 6 ounces would make the total 30 grams of Protein which is optimal and the maximum recommendation per meal. The total calories would be 170. I add about 2 oz of Water or sometimes a little more. I like the company too, Ripple milk is also about water conservation.

34 minutes ago, Darktowerdream said:

Looks good, if you can find unsweetened plain Ripple milk, 6 ounces would make the total 30 grams of Protein which is optimal and the maximum recommendation per meal. The total calories would be 170. I add about 2 oz of Water or sometimes a little more. I like the company too, Ripple milk is also about Water conservation.

I'll definitely look for it! Thanks for the recommendation!

18 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

I wish you guys had soy Protein options! I can only find ONE and that's the one I buy off Amazon. There's gotta be more out there... somewhere....