Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining Weight on Mushies? =(

I started my mushies 2 days ago and according to my scale I've gained a couple pounds already. I know people said this happens to them, but god, it SUCKS! I'm following the post-op diet exactly except for substituting puree Soup for my moms homemade stew (with added broth). I'm eating so much less and healthier than normal so this is a real motivation killer. I guess this is "bandster hell", huh? I can't see me eating any less when I'm on solids and have reached restriction so I'm hoping this stall (or gain) in weight will end soon...Anyone else experiencing this?

Don't worry about it! I'm sure your body will adjust to the calories and the band and you will begin losing soon. Remember that you are in the healing stage.

I can't sleep as my surgery is in a few hours. I have to leave for the hospital in an hour and 15 min. Yikes!

Keep following the rules and the weight will come off!

Hi Elizabeth:

I started my mushies yesterday and I know we are getting more calories now, but I was told to journal like crazy, to measure everything and to make sure to figure out the caloric intake I am getting.

Sometimes the smallest of things can cause a stall in weight loss, but this is the healing phase remember that your body is adjusting to the metabolic changes inside of your body due to your new band.

Don't get discouraged and remember to follow the meal plan that your Dr and nutritionist set forth for you, you will lose perhaps not today but in a few days you will see the scale move.

I have lost 11.5 punds since my surgery. I think that is pretty amazing in 12 days..;) I don't want to keep losing it this fast, I think it is healthier for it to come off more slowly and will help in my skin also being able to shrink right along with it.

Chin up.........remember we are still healing from all the trauma inside.

Hope this helps you a little bit!

Hugz

I've been on mushies for 8 days and have lost just over 3 kilos (6.6 lbs) in that time. I have been sticking to what the dietician told me and it seems to be working. How much are you eating in one day?

I just can't wait until tomorrow when I can go to mushies. I am having a hard time getting these darn Protein Shakes down. However, like the fact that I have lost 13lbs. in two weeks. No complaints but I am not sure what tomorrow will bring but I cannot image being able to eat alot since my appetite has not come back like a roaring lion YET! I assume the lion will show up at sometime...

I was banded a few days before you and my appetite still hasn't come back... doesn't take much for me to feel full... I've lost 19 lbs since my op so I hope it stays that way. :whoo:

I started my mushies 2 days ago and according to my scale I've gained a couple pounds already. I know people said this happens to them, but god, it SUCKS! I'm following the post-op diet exactly except for substituting puree Soup for my moms homemade stew (with added broth). I'm eating so much less and healthier than normal so this is a real motivation killer. I guess this is "bandster hell", huh? I can't see me eating any less when I'm on solids and have reached restriction so I'm hoping this stall (or gain) in weight will end soon...Anyone else experiencing this?

Elizabeth, are you being careful about not drinking fluids while you eat? That will definitely allow for more to get through, hence, more calories in that you thought.

Yes...I'm down 30 from my BD 8/29, 21 from weigh-in at the beginning of this whole process and 12 from my surgery date. I am pleased with this and can see my face getting thinner... But I stepped on the scales this morning and am up .8 of a pound. This is the first time I've gone up. So now I'm adding walking to my day and throwing out my whole milk yogurt for the 1%...dang. It doesn't pay to daily do the scales thing but I knew the yogurt was a no-no though I only eat about 1/2 cup. I guess you do adjust. Don't fret...you've not had a fill yet. We are just beginning!! ;)

Take care.

I'm thinking that there are several reasons for my body putting on a bit of weight. I'm not drinking nearly enough Water because I find it hard to fit in all in when I'm drinking it so slowly. So I've been trying to drink more today. Also, the obvious reason of going from starving myself practically to eating more calories. I don't think I'm eating badly at all. I'm following the post-op diet exactly as my surgeon intended.

Typical day:

B: 1/2 cup puree stew (with added broth)

Snack: 1/2 cup puree fruit

L: 1/2 cup oatmeal diluted with 1/2 cup skim milk (cinnamon and sugar added which may not be good...)

S: 1/2 cup stew again and about an hour or 2 later 1 egg with 2 egg whites.

Snack: 1/2-1 cup milk

I also add Protein powder to my meals. It sounds like a lot but like I said it is what the post-op diet called for. Any ideas?

Doesn't look any worse than what I'm eating...

B: 1 weetbix with skim milk (1/2 cup)

Snack: 1 skim latte

L: 1/2 cup tuna & smooth ricotta or 1/2 cup of mashed baked Beans & potato

Snack: 1/2 pureed fruit & smooth custard

D: 1/2 cup blended stew or 1/2 cup mashed potato & pumpkin or mashed boiled egg with mashed avocado

Snack: 1/2 cup jelly, pureed fruit & light custard

Are you retaining Fluid at the moment, eg, period?

Also something to consider though not a delicate subject. Are you constipated? That really adds to the weight. I don't normally have that issue but with the lapband...it is a BIG issue. Once that gets straightened out things seem to go better. I gained .8 of a pound yesterday and got on the scales this morning and was down another 3 pounds. You can guess why...:rolleyes Sorry. But it makes a difference.

Take Care.

Maybe you should step away from the scale for a few days, Elizabeth. Sometimes weight can fluctuate so much from one day to the next for a number of reasons. It could be a weight gain due to hormones or you could be retaining Water. Are you close to that time of the month? Does the stew have a high amount of salt in it?

Just be patient. That band is not going anywhere, but the weight will! Just concentrate on following all of your doctors orders. This time is about healing and learning all of the new, healthy eating habits that you will carry with you on your journey. If you have a local Lap-Band support group, try attending the next meeting. Maybe someone there has experienced the same thing and can help ease your mind.

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. You're doing great!

:)