Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 stomach spasms--Yowza! Is this normal?

Hi, Everyone.

I underwent surgery on Tuesday and am now home and sipping and walking and so forth. But, when I sip (and honestly they are sips!), my stomach seizes and spasms. It always passes, I just don't know if this is "normal". As I said, the pass relatively quickly. But, it's an odd (uncomfortable) sensation. I'd say it happens after about 1oz of liquid. Sometimes less than that. It does not happen if I'm sipping constantly so it doesn't seem to be about "fullness."

Also, I'm not feeling hunger at all, which i take to be related to the newness, healing, etc. So, I'm just checking in with folks who know more than I.

Thanks,

Cris

Totally normal and very painful! It will likely get rapidly better over the next few days. Some folks continue to experience light "spasms" later on when drinking things at extreme temperatures (iced Water or hot tea, for example), but even that usually dissipates early on in recovery. When I experienced those issues I preferred room temperature items to help my tummy stay "relaxed". :)

Yes I experienced this also. I think it only lasted a week or two.

Thanks, KT1981 and delfie. Did either of you feel lightheaded due to lack of nutrition on the post-op liquid diet?

cris20495, yes! To be honest, I still do feel lightheaded when I get up at times. It has improved a lot, but the first 4 weeks or so it was all the time.

18 minutes ago, delfie said:

cris20495, yes! To be honest, I still do feel lightheaded when I get up at times. It has improved a lot, but the first 4 weeks or so it was all the time.

Ugh! Thanks, delfie. This concerns me a little bit. I'll talk to the nutritionists at my doctor's office. I really don't want to faint while going about my day. Seems like I may need to stay home until at least I get to the soft food stage and can get a few more calories in me. How long did you stay on the liquid diet? My doc has me on it for 8 days. So, 6 more to go!

cris20495, each of my stages were about 7 days, so I was back on "normal food" within 21 days. But it was (and is) just the low amount of calories I am consuming. The first two weeks I was at approximately 600 calories. I have increased to about 1000 calories per day now and, as I said, the dizziness is better but it does still happen at times. Make sure you get up slowly and be careful.

Thanks, Delfie. I estimate that I'm getting about 400 calories on this liquid diet as I'm drinking two shakes a day at 160 a day, so, actually, 320 calories. I'll try to go for a third, although I really don't want to. And, I'll reach out to my nutritionists.

Thank you very much for your help and clarity!

Cris.