Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone , I'm not telling anyone about my surgery (sleeve being done 20th March) they wouldn't understand to be honest

Work will be told its a hernia or scar tissue adhesions from a bad fall I had two years ago .... that did actually happen so they know I'm hurting from that still . I was wondering if anyone went back to work relatively quickly after the op. if so how did you manage . I dont have anyone close to share this with other than my daughter who doesn't live close so I'll be going through it on my own. So any advise or support would be gratefulgratefully received.

I didn't tell anyone at work outside a couple of trusted friends. One of my friends sort of joked around at how successful my hernia repair was (she knew about the sleeve and it was our private/inside joke).

Anyway, to answer your question, I suppose the amount of time off depends on what kind of work you do. I work in an office setting, very sedentary, and I also have the freedom to work from home occasionally.

I took 1 week off entirely and worked from home the 2nd week, fully returning to the office after 2 weeks. I don't think I could have returned in that first week. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. My pain was manageable, but I was exhausted. I was functional the 2nd week but had to take frequent breaks because I was just exhausted.

If you're telling folks you're having a hernia repair, it is totally normal to take a week or 2 off (more if your job is more manual labor). The bigger issue has to do with your eating. I'm a private luncher, often just eating in front of my computer in my office. If you're going out to lunch with your co-workers regularly, they WILL notice that you're eating differently. I had a business dinner and even though I was back at solid foods again, I just couldn't eat an entire meal and got a few sideways glances that felt very judgmental because I left most of my meal untouched. Just warning you that you'll want to be prepared to answer questions/concerns, etc.

4 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

I didn't tell anyone at work outside a couple of trusted friends. One of my friends sort of joked around at how successful my hernia repair was (she knew about the sleeve and it was our private/inside joke).

Anyway, to answer your question, I suppose the amount of time off depends on what kind of work you do. I work in an office setting, very sedentary, and I also have the freedom to work from home occasionally.

I took 1 week off entirely and worked from home the 2nd week, fully returning to the office after 2 weeks. I don't think I could have returned in that first week. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. My pain was manageable, but I was exhausted. I was functional the 2nd week but had to take frequent breaks because I was just exhausted.

If you're telling folks you're having a hernia repair, it is totally normal to take a week or 2 off (more if your job is more manual labor). The bigger issue has to do with your eating. I'm a private luncher, often just eating in front of my computer in my office. If you're going out to lunch with your co-workers regularly, they WILL notice that you're eating differently. I had a business dinner and even though I was back at solid foods again, I just couldn't eat an entire meal and got a few sideways glances that felt very judgmental because I left most of my meal untouched. Just warning you that you'll want to be prepared to answer questions/concerns, etc.

Hi and thank you so much for your reply . Really kind of you . Im 'office based and hAve quiet lunches at my desk too, I've already started to decline meals out saying I'm on a diet and really taking it seriously as I want to lose weight for the summer etc we all say it every year but they know in being serious this time as I went out saturday and drank fizzy Water all night so they know I'm serious about losing weight. I just hope my GP will support me with a sick note saying something other than what Im having done ... fingers crossed for that. I noticed you had a band removed then a sleeve done how are you finding things ? I had a band removed January 2018 and was only off work three days and in used my holidays so no one knew any different , I know the sleev op is different but I'm trying to have positive thoughts and ecover as quickly a possible . so no one will ask questions i guess .

21 minutes ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

I noticed you had a band removed then a sleeve done how are you finding things ?

Well, the recovery from band vs sleeve was a bit more difficult for me. BUT, I was 12 years older! Plus, I had a rough start in the hospital. #1-the scar tissue from the sleeve made my surgery more complicated and #2-they gave me too much pain medication in recovery and turned me into a zombie for more than 12 hours. So, I'm not sure I'm the best resource for immediate post-op recovery.

I can tell you the difference between living with the sleeve vs the band. I have had much more effective restriction with the sleeve. I mean, I have pretty hard-stops when it comes to eating. Nothing painful, just "if I eat one more bite, I will regret it" kind of thing. Never really had that with the band. Not that I could eat full size portions or anything, it was just much more subtle.

17 hours ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Hi and thank you so much for your reply . Really kind of you . Im 'office based and hAve quiet lunches at my desk too, I've already started to decline meals out saying I'm on a diet and really taking it seriously as I want to lose weight for the summer etc we all say it every year but they know in being serious this time as I went out saturday and drank fizzy Water all night so they know I'm serious about losing weight. I just hope my GP will support me with a sick note saying something other than what Im having done ... fingers crossed for that. I noticed you had a band removed then a sleeve done how are you finding things ? I had a band removed January 2018 and was only off work three days and in used my holidays so no one knew any different , I know the sleev op is different but I'm trying to have positive thoughts and ecover as quickly a possible . so no one will ask questions i guess .

So the notes from your doctor do not have to be specific as to cause or procedure, HIPAA prevents that. basically all they need to know is your Doctor is giving you this time off to rest and recover.

I had the surgery on a Wednesday, come home on Thursday then was at home resting until Monday. Monday went into work for a half day and went home (I was tired). I have been to work every day since then. The toughest part was having my wife drive me for the week until i had my post op meeting with the doctor to be released to drive. My job is a desk job that is sedentary, but we are familiar with the surgery in our office as there are four of us that have had the surgery on Wednesday or Tuesday and all came back to work after the weekend. Working is better than sitting around waiting to go back to work and anyone with concerns on how it appears to others, being off a short time will soon be forgotten.

good luck I hope all goes well

20 hours ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Hi everyone , I'm not telling anyone about my surgery (sleeve being done 20th March) they wouldn't understand to be honest

Work will be told its a hernia or scar tissue adhesions from a bad fall I had two years ago .... that did actually happen so they know I'm hurting from that still . I was wondering if anyone went back to work relatively quickly after the op. if so how did you manage . I dont have anyone close to share this with other than my daughter who doesn't live close so I'll be going through it on my own. So any advise or support would be gratefulgratefully received.

I had surgery in the morning on Wednesday 2/20, was home from the hospital Thursday by 1pm slept all afternoon. Was up and moving comfortably on Friday. Relaxed Saturday and Sunday, worked from home on Monday and have been back in the office since last Tuesday. I do have a desk job and stopped taking pain meds on Friday so I have been driving since Monday. I have surgeon follow up tomorrow, but I feel great!!!

I did. I had my sleeve done on a Wednesday (2/20) and went back to work that Monday (2/25). Pain was tolerable. No nausea. I was (and still am) crazy tired. I have a cushy office job so there is nothing I could over exert myself on i.e. lifting. I just shut the door to my office when I’m feeling tired so coworkers leave me alone. Like you, I did not tell anyone what I actually had done. My coworkers are great but I don’t believe they should know my personal business. Said I was having my gallbladder removed. No one was any wiser. 12 days post op and doing great.

@feelinghopefulnow, the big surprise in my recovery was not pain from the surgery itself. Instead I didn’t expect how week I’d be from eating so little in the first few weeks. I felt weak and lethargic until I could handle around 500 calories a day which took a few weeks. So I’d prepare to be spacey for a couple of weeks. I could work at my desk but I didn’t get a whole lot done at first. 😂

34 minutes ago, Excited for a new me said:

I had surgery in the morning on Wednesday 2/20, was home from the hospital Thursday by 1pm slept all afternoon. Was up and moving comfortably on Friday. Relaxed Saturday and Sunday, worked from home on Monday and have been back in the office since last Tuesday. I do have a desk job and stopped taking pain meds on Friday so I have been driving since Monday. I have surgeon follow up tomorrow, but I feel great!!!

3 hours ago, Avery's Mom said:

So the notes from your doctor do not have to be specific as to cause or procedure, HIPAA prevents that. basically all they need to know is your Doctor is giving you this time off to rest and recover.

Ah I see , ok and thank you for reassuring reply So I will just say stomach problems or something simular.

Edited by Feelinghopefulnow

6 minutes ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

7 minutes ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

7 minutes ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

16 minutes ago, libbyleeb said:

@feelinghopefulnow, the big surprise in my recovery was not pain from the surgery itself. Instead I didn’t expect how week I’d be from eating so little in the first few weeks. I felt weak and lethargic until I could handle around 500 calories a day which took a few weeks. So I’d prepare to be spacey for a couple of weeks. I could work at my desk but I didn’t get a whole lot done at first. 😂

Hi @libbyleeb thank you for your reply . I can understand that, its not an easy journey to start I guess , I do hope things improved a lot for you quite soon after . I like to thinkmimhave a good threshold for pain but I'm a bit scared to expect it will be an easy few weeks , I really would like to go back to work a few days later if I can though, even if only to avoid being asked why ive been off work... I'm quite private and don't share things about myself if i can help it ...

If you have a relatively high pain threshold, you will probably be able to go back to work after 3 or 4 days. I agree there is no need to tell anyone who doesn’t need to know. Best of luck to you!

39 minutes ago, missranger said:

I did. I had my sleeve done on a Wednesday (2/20) and went back to work that Monday (2/25). Pain was tolerable. No nausea. I was (and still am) crazy tired. I have a cushy office job so there is nothing I could over exert myself on i.e. lifting. I just shut the door to my office when I’m feeling tired so coworkers leave me alone. Like you, I did not tell anyone what I actually had done. My coworkers are great but I don’t believe they should know my personal business. Said I was having my gallbladder removed. No one was any wiser. 12 days post op and doing great.

Hi @missranger Thank you for your reply .. it's clearly doable then to go back to work that soon ... that's good to know . I have a desk job so not at all strenuous . Im the same as you as in im quite private and my business my own that's amazing that you're doing so well and only 12 days post op . Really pleased its going so well for you . How much weight have you lost and how are you managing with all liquids ?

22 minutes ago, libbyleeb said:

If you have a relatively high pain threshold, you will probably be able to go back to work after 3 or 4 days. I agree there is no need to tell anyone who doesn’t need to know. Best of luck to you!

Thank you .. you too