Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey ya'll. I'm on my fourth week after having lap band surgery and will get my first adjustment/fill at the end of this week. I am very excited about that. However, I am a bit concerned/annoyed because the past week and a half of being on solid foods has shown me that I don't necessarily feel like my ability to eat a normal portion of food has diminished. I have encountered a few moments where I've eaten a Protein that I didn't chew well and drank immediately after which ultimately made me feel miserable, however, if I really allowed myself, I could eat a normal portion of food as if it were no big deal. I will say that there's no way I can eat the amount that I used to but to me the amount I can eat is still more than I expected, definitely more than what the guide is saying. Not to mention it seems as though my appetite has been growing over the past 5 days. I hope I'm not the only one this has happened to but if so, any suggestions? My doctor has yet to call me back and this is heavy on my mind. I'm assuming this won't be a concern once I get my band filled but still, I have only lost about 30lbs since my heaviest weight, I'd say 25lbs since the surgery itself and I really feel as though it should be 10-20lbs more than that. HELLLPPPPP!

You do know that generally you are supposed to wait at least 20 minutes after eating before you drink anything? Eating and drinking together can be a major cause of discomfort with the band.

Your loss is good. Remember it's not a race and if it was slow and steady would probably win. Remember the hare and the tortoise?

You are going to have to relearn satisfied vs full/stuffed. just because you think you can eat more doesn't necessarily mean you should. Eat the recommended portion. Wait 20 minutes. If you are still really hungry then have a bit more but chances are you will find that if you are eating the recommended portion of the correct foods you will be satisfied.

8 hours ago, elcee said:

You do know that generally you are supposed to wait at least 20 minutes after eating before you drink anything? Eating and drinking together can be a major cause of discomfort with the band.

Your loss is good. Remember it's not a race and if it was slow and steady would probably win. Remember the hare and the tortoise?

You are going to have to relearn satisfied vs full/stuffed. just because you think you can eat more doesn't necessarily mean you should. Eat the recommended portion. Wait 20 minutes. If you are still really hungry then have a bit more but chances are you will find that if you are eating the recommended portion of the correct foods you will be satisfied.

Yes i do know that youre supposed to wait. It was a couple of instances early on in the week that i encountered that, because out of habit i naturally drank constantly while i ate. Definitely learned since.

But yes youre right. Its easy to get into a competition with your mind. Ill have to remind myself both with the weightloss and the false sense of hunger to just chill. It's definitely a mental change as well as a physical.

How my understanding is that you can still eat but you shouldn't feel like you need to eat!
An example is that if you have a plate of pizza, and you don't use the eating techniques (like smaller bites, breaking between bites for a minute, chewing swallowing, not drinking before or after the meals 20-30 mins) and you finish the slice, or 2 slices and you may feel like you can keep eating but you do need to listen to your body and ask if full?!

If that is the case above where you are talking all the steps needed, talk to your doctor about this with the fill.

I am 7 weeks after LB and i find if i don't take time between bites, and listen to my self if i am full i can keep eating to the point it is past the full stage (like tonight out with friends and had a few bites too many from being distracted - something for me to be aware of)

It took me a good 2.5 months and two fills before I started to feel a major restriction. There was some before, yes, but not what I was expecting. Try your best to be patient. It is a journey, not a race, and that is one of the reasons the procedure has worked for me. Yesterday was my 4-year bandiversary and I am on a slow on downward weight trajectory. Good luck!

four weeks and you've lost 25lbs? I would say you are losing weight at a reasonable rate....that's quicker than I did. and losing 25lbs in 4 weeks, you definitely have to be eating less than before. I know the journey can be frustrating, but I suggest take pictures and measurements. I guarantee that even if you hit a week where it seems like you aren't losing weight, its very possible you are losing inches.

when you feel like you are still hungry reach for something high in Protein. or try a Protein Shake.

keep us posted! good luck!

I can relate! I was banded on Feb 1st. I have lost 2lbs since then. I have been super discouraged and often wish i would have just had the sleeve instead. BUT I have to talk myself back to reality, it takes time. Slow and steady wins the race. It is hard to always have that mind set though, I totally get it. I eat less than i did before BUT i don't have much restriction I had my first fill March 1st, it helped but I definitely need another fill.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using BariatricPal mobile app