Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irish Medical System SMH

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or raise my fists to the heavens.

My story is I had a lapband in 2009 in Australia which never worked. I have/had Type 2 diabetes so my Irish diabetes doc referred me in 2016 to Irish Bariatric Doc to look at having revision surgery. Long waiting list (Ireland only does 150 bariatric surgeries on the public list, a year) , but I finally got at appointment with him in Feb 2018 (two and a half hour drive to see him) and he suggested revision to sleeve and put me on waiting list for surgery (I even have that letter that says I am on the waiting list for SURGERY in capital letters!!)

In the meantime, I try again with lapband although fills bring on reflux. I hear about the EU cross-border directive (EU law says any EU citizen can get needed medical treatment and home state reimburses cost) and think yippee.

At June appointment with Irish Bariatric Doc's junior team member I ask them to write referral for overseas and they say no they don't do that.

Disappointed I do bit more research and discover if I'm already on waiting list I can use that as my paperwork. Because Irish medical system is so bureaucratic they make it seem like you really need prior referral from your Irish doc (even though EU law doesn't require it) I google Irish Bariatric Doc's email and email him directly to ask if he will sign prior approval application.

He rings because email got garbled and I should send it again. On phone, he cryptically replies he doesn't think overseas surgery is "best way forward for service" (what the hell, does that mean? I can tell you what it sounds like: "I don't want to lose all my patients and funding for our research projects to overseas because its quicker and cheaper"). But he never replies to my email request.

So I give that option up and decide to have the surgery and just put in the paperwork for reimbursement and hope it works because I fulfil all the EU law requirements even if the Irish want to make things hard.

The Belgium experience goes off without a hitch ONE MONTH LATER (up yours waiting list) and my diabetes instantly resolves, I am 16 kilos down and counting. Loving getting thinner, can move more easily etc, helloooooo better health. Didn't bother telling Irish Bariatric Doc because he never got back to me.

I put in a Freedom of Information request to get all my medical records from Irish Bariatric Doc so I can show I needed to have the surgery and I was already on waiting list etc etc etc. They give them to me, lots of lovely referral letters and discussions about lapband not working and reflux problems etc and being referred for sleeve etc.

So, today I get a letter from Irish Bariatric Doc to say he is not going to fill in the prior authorisation form because he doesn't even know whether I need surgery, I'm on waiting list to see bariatric surgeon for appointment to discuss but that's a very long list, and let's talk about it at our next appointment (which will be June 2019).

What. The. Hell?

Seriously.

I don't know whether to laugh uproariously or spit in rage. AYAAA!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

It just occurred to me, I wonder if this completely irrelevant letter is him covering his arse for never getting back to me and refusing to give O/S referral because I've put in the reimbursement paperwork.

I could make a comment about the Irish but it would be unpc and obviously we don’t do that anymore

I could make a comment about the Irish but it would be unpc and obviously we don’t do that anymore
Oh the bureaucracy here is maddening. Medical consultants have their little fiefdoms here and they don't like uppity patients not falling into line.

I decided in going to laugh about it, because I have my bypass and it's working just like it's supposed to (if a little slow) and I'm delighted with how much better I'm feeling.

I'm just agog that a top bariatric professional could decide it's better for his patient's health to wait years on a waiting list, than get the medical help needed overseas straight away. Seriously, dude?!?

يا الله!! But at least it's taught me, when I need professional medical attention I should go overseas rather than waste my time with the docs here.

Take care of yourself, and do whatever you need to do sis!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks@LadySin I shouldn't rant too much about Ireland coz apart from the healthcare, I do love living here. Hubby also said I shouldn't give this share of mind coz I had my surgery, it's not like they can take it away bahaha [emoji16]