Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DRIVING AFTER SURGERY

How long after surgery are you allowed to drive ?

I was clear to drive at the 10 days mark but every Dr is different ask your Dr see what he tells you

my Dr. clears once you are no longer on pain killers. Since I didn't take any in the hospital nor fill my script.. I drove 4 days post op. I had surgery on Thurs and by Mon was driving.

Mine says normally 7-10 days; earlier l lu once you're off narcotic pain meds for at least 24 hours.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had no restriction from driving. The doctor didn't really even caution me against driving while taking pain meds.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and drove home from the airport on Thursday. *I had surgery in another state.

I never filled my script and managed just fine with tylenol, so there was really no risk for driving impaired.

After that initial drive home from the airport, I probably didn't drive again for about another week. It's not that I couldn't, I just didn't need to.

Did it bother you at all when you drove to the airport? I'm being sleeved Friday but have to get my son to and from school on Monday so trying to see if it's possible for me to drive or if I'm going to have to send him in an Uber

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using BariatricPal mobile app

11 hours ago, TeeMillz said:

Did it bother you at all when you drove to the airport? I'm being sleeved Friday but have to get my son to and from school on Monday so trying to see if it's possible for me to drive or if I'm going to have to send him in an Uber

I took an Uber from the hospital to the airport. Bumping around in traffic in the back seat of a stranger's car was a little nerve-wracking. The plane ride was a bit uncomfortable. I felt every bump and I think the change of altitude increased my gas pain. I was pretty miserable when we landed, got our luggage, and waited for the shuttle to the parking lot. I was exhausted and it felt a little like my guts wanted to fall out, but there was no choice about it. My friend, who went with me for the surgery, could not drive for her own medical reasons. I guess the bright side of this adventure was that I got a lot of walking in! 🚶‍♀️

So, I got in the car and drove about 30 minutes from the airport to my home. Once I got in the car, I actually felt better than my time in the airport. I put on my seatbelt, but left it looser than usual and drove as cautiously as traffic would allow. I even made a few calls en-route (blue-tooth of course).

I'd say your biggest concerns with driving on Monday after a Friday surgery is whether or not you're on pain meds and the overall driving conditions of where you're going to be driving. Not that you CAN'T drive, it's more of whether you should. If you're on any pain meds that affect your cognition, you really shouldn't be driving. I say road conditions because of safety. If you were involved in any kind of accident, aside from the accident itself, it could put you at greater risk for injury since you're already compromised.

On 12/03/2018 at 20:43, TeeMillz said:

As long as your not on pain meds you should be fine. I drove 3 days after surgery. I just made sure my seatbelt was below my incisions- just in case I had to stop quickly.

My surgeon was okay with driving as long as you were no longer taking meds. Fortunately I was never in pain and didn't have to take the prescribed pain medication or Tylenol. However, I waited 10+ days after surgery before driving because I was so lightheaded/dizzy due to dehydration. Once I got that under control, I was ready.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app