Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Losing Weight on PreOp Diet??

I've been on my pre-op diet for 5 solid days now and I have lost 1 lb! I thought we are supposed to lose weight on this thing! My surgeon said "everybody" drops a lot of pounds in these 16 days and I have lost 1lb. ONE. And I am starving! What gives!? I have two shakes a day that are 100-180 calories each and one frozen meal under 300 calories and that's it!

If I can't lose weight eating this few calories, how will surgery help? Feeling discouraged.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

And when I weighed myself on Day 1, I was dressed and today I wasn't. So I may have not even lost hardly a thing!

I think sometimes it takes our bodies time to adjust to things. Relax and give it time! Also, make sure you are drinking enough Water. I know I tend to lose more when I drink more water. Good luck and don’t give up!! 👍

I would also make certain you are drinking a minimum of 100 oz. of Water a day, avoiding all fluids with calories and just stay with it. I would also look at the ingredients of the frozen meal since if it mostly carbs that might prevent weight loss. Make sure your shakes don't have a lot of sugar in them.

My program allowed 2-3 shakes per day (I used Premier Protein but there are others) and 1 meal of 4 oz. Protein and 1 cup of non starchy vegetables daily. I could also have sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello and sugar free pickles. I lost 15 lbs. in 14 days and only struggled a few times with feeling hungry. My only deviation from the plan was a teaspoon of natural Peanut Butter a couple of times.

Surgeon said my liver looked "perfect" and no complications from surgery. Good luck to you!!

Make sure you don't go more than a couple hours without eating something. Drink a Protein Shake within a couple hours of waking then every 2 hours eat a dill pickle or something low or no carbs. lunch have a Protein shake. A couple hours, another low/no carb snack. dinner healthy choice or lean cuisine etc. Stop eating 2 hrs before bed. Drink tons of Water to flush salt and toxins from kidneys and liver. This will keep you under 1300 cal per day and your body wont go into starvation mode and hold on to fat like a dog with a new bone. :)

I drink a lot of Water. I drink 80oz a day, minimum. I am doing everything I am told to do, at the times I was told to do it. This is stupid.

I wake up, take my bariatric Vitamins. 8am, Protein Shake. 12, healthy choice or Atkins meal, 5, Protein shake. and the immuno recovery drink shortly after. second dose of bariatric vitamins around 7. that's it.

I chose only the low carb Atkins. Not looking at net carbs, but total. I was told nothing else than the things I described.

I have a call on Monday with the bariatric nurse to confirm my medications. I think I need to discuss this with them. Because I've been on other diets before and lost more than this in a shorter time. So something isn't right... unless my body is in starvation mode and it's going to drop a TON all at once. It's really hard not to get discouraged, though, when you actually do what you're supposed to. =( I lost more weight in September when I was eating Taco Bell once a day. lol. Not kidding.

3 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I have a call on Monday with the bariatric nurse to confirm my medications. I think I need to discuss this with them. Because I've been on other diets before and lost more than this in a shorter time. So something isn't right... unless my body is in starvation mode and it's going to drop a TON all at once. It's really hard not to get discouraged, though, when you actually do what you're supposed to. =( I lost more weight in September when I was eating Taco Bell once a day. lol. Not kidding.

I honestly don't know that there is a scientific starvation mode post WLS, but people without the surgery do have a drop in metabolism after about 3 days.

I did lose 12lbs on my liquid only Protein Drink pre-op diet. But, my ankles swelled up badly and I did battle Fluid retention. My insulin spiked crazy high in response to the whey Protein isolates. So I started using Premier which is a combo of WPI and WPC and it did help a little.

But as @MIZ60 mentioned, check your labels for carbs, sugars, sodium, etc!

Also most WPI is filled with extra phosphorous which can also be hard on the kidneys and can make you retain fluids if you have any kidney issues.

I honestly don't know that there is a scientific starvation mode post WLS, but people without the surgery do have a drop in metabolism after about 3 days.
I did lose 12lbs on my liquid only Protein Drink pre-op diet. But, my ankles swelled up badly and I did battle Fluid retention. My insulin spiked crazy high in response to the whey Protein isolates. So I started using Premier which is a combo of WPI and WPC and it did help a little.
But as [mention=338419]MIZ60[/mention] mentioned, check your labels for carbs, sugars, sodium, etc!
Also most WPI is filled with extra phosphorous which can also be hard on the kidneys and can make you retain fluids if you have any kidney issues.
I can't have whey Protein isolates. I am intolerant to whey protein. Not lactose, but whey itself. Atkins shakes are half whey, half soy, so I tolerate those okay. My other shake is a soy protein isolate.

I have to believe I am just experiencing an extreme drop in my metabolism and next week things will improve. I've been on super low carb diets (less than 30g total a day) and have been very successful. This is not working at all for me so far. I'm sticking to it, for sure, but I don't want to see my surgeon the day before surgery and him not believe I did what they said to do. I guess that's my main concern.

I started my pre-op diet on October 3. On October 9th I weighed myself and I was down five pounds. On October 13 I was down an extra 0.4 of a pound. On October 16 I had lost a total of 14 pounds.

Just trying to give an idea of how crazy it all is.

Don't let the lack of weight loss discourage you. It'll happen. You just have to be patient, give it time and let it happen. Keep on with your pre op and things will go as expected.