Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey 8 weeks

Today has hit 8 weeks for me and I wanted to share my journey. I can't believe that time has flown but in the beginning, it felt like eternity. My surgery itself was pretty smooth. Not much pain just mostly discomfort because of the incisions. My first four weeks were definitely a challenge mentally. 2 weeks of puree probably was the hardest. That and my Water intake. But when I hit that 4 week mark and I was given the green light from the doctor that I was on my own, it felt liberating in a way. I didn't feel so restricted and I became mentally more conscious about what I put in my mouth and I focused on Protein and water. My strength and mentality changed.

I don't own a scale. Mentally it has always been depressing for me and I decided NOT to get one. I didn't want to let the numbers define my journey. Being that I have been on all kinds of diets and my weight has always YO-yo'd, I have a closet full of jeans in all different size ranges. I organized them by sizes in different slots and will let that tell me where I am at.

At last weeks doctors visit ( 7 weeks) I was down 30 pounds. I couldn't be more proud!! I feel so good and full of energy. This probably has been one of the best decisions I have made to do this surgery. I haven't started exercising yet , I do walk my dogs 2x a day for about 20 mins each time and have since a week out from my surgery. I know that I need to get started. At least walking long periods. I make sure all meals are protein based and if I have room, I will eat a bite of veggies. I cook a lot at home for my family and make sure its in the diet and on the days it's not. I usually have left overs. I always have a protein bar/snack in my car and water at all times. My meals consist of about 3 oz of protein and usually can't eat much past that. I have about 4- 5 meals like this a day. Every morning I have collagen protein in my coffee so I know I start the day with 22 g of protein and then usually go from there. If by the end of the day I haven't hit my goal, I end it with a Premier Protein shake.

For those of you that are just starting out, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I used to read all the posts on here daily and just kept saying to myself will this ever get easier and YES, it does. I've excepted my new lifestyle and hope that my journey continues to be as smooth as it has since week 4. I'm sure I will hit bumps here and there and I know it's always going to be mentally challenging when food has always been comfort for me. But I can say today I feel strong and I just take it day by day.

What a wonderful post. So glad it’s working out so well for you! Way to go!

I agree with Rosie T, such a nice post, I’m about 1 week behind you and I understand exactly how you feel...you are doing really well, I’ve read a lot of your post and I commend you so much for having self control because you cook for your family and I can imagine it can be hard especially making some of your favorite meals that you all used to enjoy together...kudos to you!! I only have to worry about myself as my son is grown and on his own. But like I always say one day at a time. Congratulations hon, you are doing great!! Keep up the good job. We got this!!! 🙌🏾

This is so great to hear and congratulations!

I do feel a bit of relief from your post. I'm having my surgery in a few days and just have been trying to get in as much info as I can. Thanks for this!

I do have a question as I'm anxious about not having enough water- do you get the required 64 oz daily? I feel like that would be a challenge for me and was wondering how the process was for you, if you don't mind me asking?

:)

Edited by vsgnewbie77

@vsgnewbie77 I do still struggle with Water. I drink probably about 45-50 oz of water a day and then have 2 sugar free popsicles a night. I can’t remember if it’s liquid total or just water portion? If it’s liquids as well I think I’m over with Protein Shakes and coffee? Does that count? 😂 lol

On 10/22/2018 at 12:53 AM, fluffy562 said:

@vsgnewbie77 I do still struggle with Water. I drink probably about 45-50 oz of Water a day and then have 2 sugar free popsicles a night. I can’t remember if it’s liquid total or just water portion? If it’s liquids as well I think I’m over with Protein Shakes and coffee? Does that count? 😂 lol

I think its liquids total so the shakes and coffee count too :)