Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Question

My surgery was 8/20/18 and I know that there was some discomfort and pain in my stomach, but i'm on week 4 and into fish, seafood, and ground meats. My question is when i'm eating or not even eating i feel a weird pain and i'm wondering if it's normal. I measure all my food to 2 ounces, and the moment i take a bite or two it feels like i have some gas followed by like a bloated pain, almost like hunger pains but it's not. It makes me not want to eat because i hate when it feels like this.

I was also diagnosed as Diabetic, and my sugar has been as high as 138 and as low as 74, but i hardly feel hungry and I know i'm not getting enough of my Protein in because I just don't want the feelings i have. I hope i'm making sense, i tried to ask my doctor, they just say it's normal but it doesn't really explain much to me, as to why i'm feeling like this, has anyone else had this issue? Is there something worse possibly going on?

I also have several medications i am supposed to take daily but every time i take my pills slowly and with a sip of Water i feel sick halfway through and cant 'seem to take anymore, these are blood pressure pills, cholesterol pills, etc. Any advice?

Thank you for any help.

3 minutes ago, xJennifer35x said:

My surgery was 8/20/18 and I know that there was some discomfort and pain in my stomach, but i'm on week 4 and into fish, seafood, and ground meats. My question is when i'm eating or not even eating i feel a weird pain and i'm wondering if it's normal. I measure all my food to 2 ounces, and the moment i take a bite or two it feels like i have some gas followed by like a bloated pain, almost like hunger pains but it's not. It makes me not want to eat because i hate when it feels like this.

I was also diagnosed as Diabetic, and my sugar has been as high as 138 and as low as 74, but i hardly feel hungry and I know i'm not getting enough of my Protein in because I just don't want the feelings i have. I hope i'm making sense, i tried to ask my doctor, they just say it's normal but it doesn't really explain much to me, as to why i'm feeling like this, has anyone else had this issue? Is there something worse possibly going on?

I also have several medications i am supposed to take daily but every time i take my pills slowly and with a sip of Water i feel sick halfway through and cant 'seem to take anymore, these are blood pressure pills, cholesterol pills, etc. Any advice?

Thank you for any help.

I also had my VSG on 8/20. Sounds like you're either eating too fast or the food is not moist enough. Are you still on pureed or transitioning to soft foods? Your symptoms sounds familiar and for me it was always one of the two I mentioned.

As for your meds, have you tried to crush them and spread them out throughout the day? I take my PPI with a spoonful of applesauce... a little on the bottom of spoon, sprinkle med, top with my applesauce and it goes down like Water.

Are you supplementing shakes at least for your lack of Protein intake? I've found WonderSlim (available on amazon) has a great caramel chocolate pudding / shake and packs 15g of protein. Easy drinking or by the spoonful if you go pudding style.

I'm past the pureed and onto fish/seafood ground meat, I do eat a little too fast sometimes, but i try to take it slow. I only use baby spoons as well so i don't take big bites. As for my pills some aren't crushable as they are liquid, i have the chewables the doctor gave me the bariatric fusions, i don't have a problem swallowing i just feel like gagging/throwing up every time i take them, like my stomach can't handle it.

as for Protein there are days i gag on drinking it even if 2 ounces i have the pure protein it's little boxes that you can get a Walmart and comes in vanilla, strawberries and cream, caramel, chocolate and banana, i don't like the caramel but love the banana. I do try to drink that when i can.

Just normally feels like my stomach is in knots all the time, feels like it's gassy as i eat things and i just feel bloated, i often feel like i have to lay down to even attempt to feel better. One time i tried to drink some antacid and i threw it right back up.

You maybe eating foods you cannot tolerate, try a few different types/brands of Protein supplements. Also try to eat different foods one at a time to figure out which ones give you gas or make you bloated. Sometimes you won't be able to tolerate everything after surgery or it may take some time.

Safe Journey!

Okay thank you for the suggestions

Well I ended up going to the E.R. last night because i felt dehydrated and my doctors thought i may have had a blockage, i was a little dehydrated however my stomach is fine, they told me that my body is possibly rejecting food and told me to go back to a clear liquid diet for the next week.

talk about frustration at not being able to eat. But I will keep all suggestions for future reference.

I used to get a similar feeling when I ate or even drank Water. Almost all the time in the first few weeks. I chalked it up to fullness and learned to slow down or eat less. I don't get it any longer and sometimes eat fast or too much. Fullness and some uncomfortableness but not the same as earlier on. If your surgeon says your good to go and after being in the ER there was no problems found don't worry about it. Just know it will pass and become a distant memory.