Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forgot diet plan

14 minutes ago, Jeepgrl18 said:

I had the sleeve surgery about 5 years ago. Lost 140, gained 40 back. I forgot what goals we are supposed to have for Protein, carbs and sugars. Can anyone help me?

Sent from my SM-G930U using BariatricPal mobile app

High Protein : 60-90g daily

Low carb: 30-50g daily

Sugars (part of the total carb count): less than 5g per serving

Beware of added sugars vs naturally occurring in foods

Fluids: min of 64oz daily, Water is far superior but all fluids count

You did amazing, congrats!

Edited by GreenTealael

High Protein : 60-90g daily
Low carb: 30-50g daily
Sugars (part if total carbs): less than 5g per serving
Fluids: min of 64oz daily, Water is far superior but all fluids count
You did amazing, congrats!
Ok, thank you. Have tried Keto. But couldn't keep it off and being a vegan. I always wanted what I couldn't have. How many calories s day? 1500 or 1200?

13 minutes ago, Jeepgrl18 said:

Ok, thank you. Have tried Keto. But couldn't keep it off and being a vegan. I always wanted what I couldn't have. How many calories s day? 1500 or 1200?

Yes and if you YouTube it there is a trainer that does vegan keto so best of both worlds, generally the lower the cals and carb the quicker your body will reach a lipolysis/ketogenic state, cals will be based on BMR you'll only know for sure by analysis, but since you gained not maintained your cals were too high. Try the lower end 1000-1200 Max, lower end of carbs 20-30g daily.

Programs vary all over the map in many areas, though the common elements are:

Protein - consistent with need, but generally 60-80 g for women (though shorter than average women can do fine in the 50's) and 80-100 g for men. Protein need is most closely associated with lean body mass, hence the difference between men's and women's needs.

Eat protein first, then veggies, fruits and starches

Eat slowly, chew well

Don't drink calories (protein drinks excepted, though you won't need to do them at this point)

Avoid drinking with meals and for 30 minutes after meals. Drink a minimum of 64 oz, though the need is often higher depending upon activity and weather.

Those are the things that are common to most plans. Minimizing sugar intake is often sited and sometimes a number is put on it; likewise, carb numbers are occasionally specified, though those can be deceiving and best not dwelt on.

Calories are sometimes specified in programs and sometimes not. Those that work best seem to cluster in the 6-800 calorie range, but that is hard to maintain in a regain recovery program. It is best to work with your individual metabolic need, which again can be quite variable; Try for 1000-1200 and see how that goes; 12-1500 is often a maintenance level for many women.

Keto and vegan/vegetarian are largely irrelevant - they are more lifestyle type diets that don't have any inherent weigtloss properties, though they can be used if one keeps the calories low enough. The key factor is what kind of diet will help you stay away from the high calorie/low nutrition junk that promotes weight gain.

Good luck in your endeavor....

Programs vary all over the map in many areas, though the common elements are:
Protein - consistent with need, but generally 60-80 g for women (though shorter than average women can do fine in the 50's) and 80-100 g for men. Protein need is most closely associated with lean body mass, hence the difference between men's and women's needs.
Eat protein first, then veggies, fruits and starches
Eat slowly, chew well
Don't drink calories (protein drinks excepted, though you won't need to do them at this point)
Avoid drinking with meals and for 30 minutes after meals. Drink a minimum of 64 oz, though the need is often higher depending upon activity and weather.

Those are the things that are common to most plans. Minimizing sugar intake is often sited and sometimes a number is put on it; likewise, carb numbers are occasionally specified, though those can be deceiving and best not dwelt on.
Calories are sometimes specified in programs and sometimes not. Those that work best seem to cluster in the 6-800 calorie range, but that is hard to maintain in a regain recovery program. It is best to work with your individual metabolic need, which again can be quite variable; Try for 1000-1200 and see how that goes; 12-1500 is often a maintenance level for many women.
Keto and vegan/vegetarian are largely irrelevant - they are more lifestyle type diets that don't have any inherent weigtloss properties, though they can be used if one keeps the calories low enough. The key factor is what kind of diet will help you stay away from the high calorie/low nutrition junk that promotes weight gain.
Good luck in your endeavor....
For myself my dietician put me on 1200 calories as early as 2 weeks post op. I had RNY and started solid foods 2 weeks after surgery. Once I started eating solid foods it took me about a week to build up to the 1200 calories. I was also given a target of a minimum of 95g of protein and could have up to 130g of carbs but had to space them out throughout the day I couldn't have them all at once which made sense. At my 6 month check up with my dietician she said I was still losing weight to quickly ar it should have started to slow down by the 4-6 months but mine hadn't so she increased my calories to 1400. Now at 9 months out it has slowed down but I am still losing. I have never stepped foot in a gym since surgery nor do I have an active lifestyle. I don't do much for exercise because I am physically unable to do most exercises due to severe arthritis in my knees and my right knee being out of alignment and doesn't bend more than a sitting position. I am also a 34 year old female.. but as you've said the plans are different all over. Different surgeons and different dietitians have different plans and approaches.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app