Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my sleeve surgery on Friday, July 27. Had a rough time in recovery with nausea. Took 12 hours for the staff to get my nausea under control. But once it was, I rapidly improved. Was able to walk a bunch and ended getting to go home Saturday around 4pm.

I have one incision (the large one that everyone complains about where they removed my stomach through) that is really my only pain now. It’s also created a large divot in my belly, we believe because they attached my stomach to that wall to prevent contortions.

liquids have been going down easy. I was very worried about this, but it has been easy to feel when I’m getting close to too much and stop. The biggest hurdle has been getting all my meds down this slowly. I have 11 medications to take per day. It takes about six hours to get them down and keep up my Water and Protein. Fine for now, but going back to work next week is gonna make that a challenge. I’ve really appreciated all the info and encouragement I’ve seen on these forums and figured I’d show others what my experience has been like, good (and a bit bad). I’m happy to answer questions if it would help.

Glad you are home but Whoaaa on 12 hrs to control nausea. I know some nausea meds dont work for me. I have my surgery August 14th. I hear taking the meds get easier fairly quick. Keep us informed of your healing journey.

Yeah. My nurses basically said recovery didn’t jump on it quick enough so it went on longer than it should. No nausea now, even without nausea meds.

3 minutes ago, mrpritchett said:

Yeah. My nurses basically said recovery didn’t jump on it quick enough so it went on longer than it should. No nausea now, even without nausea meds.

I had my surgery on 7/17 and I too struggled very badly with nausea. Had my surgery at noon and pretty much suffered and dry heaved the whole rest of the day. The next day I was 100% better! My nurse said it was just the anesthesia that needed to get out of my system. It was awful but I felt like a brand new woman the next day! And I feel amazing currently. Congrats on making it to the other side!

2 minutes ago, fishing_5 said:

Awesome story. I'm in the process of getting it approved by my insurance. My Nutritionist said I should look into the Meal Replacement shakes. Can you recommend any? Also what multi Vitamins are you taking?

I want to the try the shakes before I really commit cuz I know it's gonna be hard.

I personally like the Premier Protein shakes. I like the chocolate, Cookies and cream, banana, and caramel flavors. Chocolate is my favorite, I mix it with Decaf coffee every morning and it is wonderful! In my opinion the premier Protein Shakes don’t taste like a Protein Shake. It tastes like chocolate milk. They’re a little pricey but their definitely my favorite!

8 minutes ago, fishing_5 said:

Can you go into details when you consumed these shakes and when you took the Vitamins? I know everyone is different when eating but just a general idea for me.

I’m 12 days post op and was instructed not to take Vitamins until two weeks out. I have my 2 week post op follow up with the dr on Tuesday so I’ll get my Vitamin regimen at that time. As far as Protein Shakes at this point I drink 2-3 a day. Basically at meal times. When I did my preop diet I was instructed to drink 5 shakes per day.

I'm 11 days post op. Taking all my meds was really tough for me at first too.. it is getting easier now. If your Vitamins are a big challenge, consider vitamin patches or Vitamin chews. They might help make it easier.

1 hour ago, fishing_5 said:

So pre-op you drank 5 shakes. Thats it? No other foods? How long was the pre-op diet for?

I guess I'm just trying to try things as if I was pre-op.

I was allowed sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, broth and Protein Shakes. It was rough!

56 minutes ago, fishing_5 said:

I guess im just wanting to try some of the foods pre-op so I know how to handle it when I actually need to eat those foods. lol

Yeah I understand, I hated having to do the pre op diet but I do feel like it helped prepare me a little for what was to come. I personally wouldn’t recommend getting started on the pre op type diet before it is necessary only because it’s very hard and it gets old reallly fast! You’ll be doing plenty of liquid type diets pre and post op, take this time to just eat healthier, drink lots of Water, and take a 30 minute walk everyday. That’s my suggestion.

yea i hear you. ive been trying to keep my calories at 900 or below. I have NOT had the surgrey yet. 900 calories is low and holy crap i can feel it, i feel hungry. There are some days though I can do 900 calories and just be fine.