Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whole wheat pasta?

I know that regular Pasta is a bad thing for many bandsters, is whole wheat pasta just as difficult to get down? I have a few pasta recipes that I think would be great with whole wheat pasta, but I dont want to go through all the effort to cook them if it's going to be just as bad as regular pasta. Anyone know if it goes down/stays down easier?

I have cooked with whole wheat Pasta since I was able to eat solids. It cooks the same. Depending on which brand you buy, the textures are different. Of course, chew, chew, chew. I love it! I even love the brown rice.

I don't have any problems with whole wheat Pasta. Today I bought some Dreamfields Low Carb pasta. I am hoping it will taste good and not cause any problems.

Barilla Plus Pasta is whole-wheat AND has Omega-3 oils and Protein added!!!

Barilla Plus Pasta is whole-wheat AND has Omega-3 oils and Protein added!!!

That's the one that I use....I find that I have to boil it about 2 extra minutes than regular Pasta, making it a little more mushie for my band, otherwise its a no go. But it is delicious.:hungry:

actually just made it today with homade spaghetti sauce and ground turkey... Yummy!!!!

and like with any other food chew chew chew... But i do find that it feels a bit heavier on my stomach then the other foods i have been eating.... but its ok ill wait an hour an have some nice hot tea before bed and it will relax me...

We had wholemeal spirals with pesto and roast vegetables last night for dinner.

Funnily enough, I can eat spaghetti easily but any other shaped Pasta is pretty difficult. I would have stuck to a half cup serving last night, it took me aaaages to eat it.

But wholemeal is always a better choice than white.

I have a HARD time eating Pasta of any kind. And I love italian food. What I did to get around the pasta is use squash, zuccini, and eggplant in place of pasta. I cut it up like pasta in small bites and cook it in the sauce and it is wonderful.

I've been using whole wheat Pasta and it doesn't bother me at all. I think because it doesn't seem as starchy and sticky as regular pasta.

I have a HARD time eating Pasta of any kind. And I love italian food. What I did to get around the Pasta is use squash, zuccini, and eggplant in place of pasta. I cut it up like pasta in small bites and cook it in the sauce and it is wonderful.

I really LOVE zucchini in place of pasta. I often eat that purely because I really like it and its a great way to eat your veges. I dont low carb or anything, so I'm not afraid of pasta but zucchini makes a wonderful substitute.

I have a HARD time eating Pasta of any kind. And I love italian food. What I did to get around the Pasta is use squash, zuccini, and eggplant in place of pasta. I cut it up like pasta in small bites and cook it in the sauce and it is wonderful.

That sound really good... i definately going to try it next time....

(did anyone ever try using the spaghetti squash???? i saw a recipe on the food network one day pre-band and have been meaning to try it ever since)

I haven't had spagetti squash but I saw the same recipe and also the weight watchers cook book has a spagetti bolganise (sp?) recipe using it as well, it does look really good! I have altered a lasagna recipe it is awsome try it you will love it:

1 and 1/2 lbs ground sirloin or turkey cooked in Tomato sauce

10-12 oz container of low fat cottage cheese with one egg and lots of pepper and garlic powder to taste

2 eggplants cut flat and long ways to imitate lasagna noodles

mozz cheese

1bag of pre washed fresh spinach (you can use frozen too but I love the fresh better cause it makes a better texture and I am really not a fan of the frozen stuff-plus it looks prettier)

Brown meat and break up then add tomato sause (if you don't like making your own I use the Hunts garlic and herb sause that is in the big can because it doesn't have any added sugar-all the jar sauces have added sugar and I personally don't like sweet spagetti sauce)

Mix up the egg,cottage cheese, pepper, and garlic in a seperate bowl.

Thin layer meat and tomato sause on bottom of baking dish, lay eggplant down as you would noodles, lay down meat sauce, sprinkle some mozzerella, lay a heaping handful of spinach down to cover, top off with cottage cheese mixture, then start all over. Once finished layering top off with rest of meat sauce mixture and cover with a thick layer of mozz cheese and bake at 350 for about 45mins to 1hr. If it looks like the top is getting too brown for your preferance cover with foil and finish out the baking time. It has to bake that long to get the eggplant tender. I guess you could pre boil the eggplant to soften and cut down on baking time. It is awsome.