Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre and Post op diets

I live in France and am due to have my sleeve operation here next week. I'm concerned that all the information I've been given is so very different to everything I read on the anglophone sites. Pre-op, for just 5 days, I am on a Protein and veg diet; no fats, no sugars. That's all. Day 1 after surgery is clear liquid, but then from day 2 onwards I'm onto mixed foods pureed (fish/meat/egg/dairy) + any veg except gassy ones + tbsp dried milk powder (all protein, no fat) + tsp Oligo4 type oil; 3 "meals" per day, pureed, with lowfat dairy products in between. I appreciate that all surgeons have their own recommendations, but I'm really concerned that this is so different from everything else I read about. Any thoughts? Anyone else experienced anything like this?

17 minutes ago, SueGrace said:

I live in France and am due to have my sleeve operation here next week. I'm concerned that all the information I've been given is so very different to everything I read on the anglophone sites. Pre-op, for just 5 days, I am on a Protein and veg diet; no fats, no sugars. That's all. Day 1 after surgery is clear liquid, but then from day 2 onwards I'm onto mixed foods pureed (fish/meat/egg/dairy) + any veg except gassy ones + tbsp dried milk powder (all Protein, no fat) + tsp Oligo4 type oil; 3 "meals" per day, pureed, with lowfat dairy products in between. I appreciate that all surgeons have their own recommendations, but I'm really concerned that this is so different from everything else I read about. Any thoughts? Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Don't worry or focus on differences, pretty much every doctor, every surgery, every nutritionist, everywhere has a different way of doing things. The biggest thing to remember is, follow what YOUR team has set for you. Because at the end of the day, they are the ones that have dominion over your surgery, no one else. So if you don't follow their rules, they *could* deny your surgery.

Again, don't worry too much about differences, they don't seem to really make a difference at the end of the day, but it's your surgery, do what your surgeon says.

HI SueGrace,

The only advice I can really give is to take what you read with a grain of salt as your own nutritionist will give you the diet plan she or he wants you to be on, which (in my experience) is individualized according to your unique situation. For example, some people have said they can have alcohol later down the line, others say they were told not to drink ever after surgery. When I went to my pre-op instructional this week, each of us in the room had different pre-op plans. Mine wanted 4 Meal Replacement shakes + a bariatric meal (dinner entree) for 2 weeks pre-op. Others in the room had 3 shakes a day and no meals, or 3 shakes a day + 1 meal, etc. It varied based on the person.

As far as the plan of action for foods POST op, I was told for me that when I'm discharged I am on full liquids, then everything changes in 2 week intervals. So, 2 weeks post op I can move to puree, then 2 weeks after that soft foods (assuming I can tolerate it, etc). My nutritionist said if I feel I can do it sooner, that's fine, but it's a base 2 week plan. but again, that's individualized for me. If your nutritionist or doctor said to go a certain route I'd ask questions if you're unsure, but ultimately go with the treatment plan they advise.

Good luck in your journey!