Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! This is my first post as I am in the very beginning stages of my weight loss journey! I am almost positive that I will be approved for surgery, as my BMI is 41 and I know that my insurance covers it. I am hoping to have gastric bypass done, however I am concerned about the amount of time that I’ll have to take off of work. I currently work in a hospital as an emergency room technician. I know that most people are out of work for a couple weeks at most, however my job consists of a lot of heavy lifting! I am always transferring patients, pushing stretchers and wheelchairs, lifting people, etc. I am in a financially comfortable place at the moment, however I’m concerned that I will not be if I have to take a month off of work! Are there any other healthcare professionals out there who have been through this? Just wondering what kind of weight restrictions you had to deal with. I will obviously be talking this through with my surgeon, but I wanted to ask the peanut gallery as well 😉

My surgeon said not to lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks post-gastric bypass. And time off work for me was 2 weeks but I have a desk job and was able to work remotely week 3. You may need to take 4 weeks off due to the physicality of your job.

On 06/23/2018 at 22:20, MarinaGirl said:

My surgeon said not to lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks post-gastric bypass. And time off work for me was 2 weeks but I have a desk job and was able to work remotely week 3. You may need to take 4 weeks off due to the physicality of your job.

Bummer!! That’s what I was afraid of lol. I will be so bored if I’m stuck at home for a month 😳

I practice physical therapy and we have to be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs. I didn’t go back until week four but my place of work habe me an assistant and only high level patients. They were very accommodating.

if I were you, I would legit take 6 weeks off. I just feel like there is no real accommodation in the ER. I am six weeks out and still don’t feel 100% with lifting or doing certain movmements

Edited by Bryn910

I’m a registered nurse working twelve hour shifts on a busy medical surgical floor.

My surgeon cleared me to return to work after four weeks with weight restriction of 20 pounds. My supervisor did not accommodate the weight lifting limit so I ended up with the full six weeks off. It ended up being for the best. By the time six weeks passed my diet was almost progressed to normal and I was feeling much better.

No one took it easy on me when I went back so if I were you take as much time as you can. Even after the six weeks I had to be careful lifting these people, and if you work in healthcare you know how these people want to pull and tug on you.

You may qualify for short term disability through work as well so don’t rush going back.

On 06/24/2018 at 09:32, KimTriesRNY said:

I’m a registered nurse working twelve hour shifts on a busy medical surgical floor.

My surgeon cleared me to return to work after four weeks with weight restriction of 20 pounds. My supervisor did not accommodate the weight lifting limit so I ended up with the full six weeks off. It ended up being for the best. By the time six weeks passed my diet was almost progressed to normal and I was feeling much better.

No one took it easy on me when I went back so if I were you take as much time as you can. Even after the six weeks I had to be careful lifting these people, and if you work in healthcare you know how these people want to pull and tug on you.

You may qualify for short term disability through work as well so don’t rush going back.

This seems to be the general consensus 😫 I can see the benefit of waiting it out and taking advantage of the resting period. Especially because there really is no such thing as light duty in a hospital 😉 I can only take so many vitals and collect so many specimens... it’s only a matter of time before an immobile patient has a code brown and I’m the only one available to do a complete bed change. Definitely wouldn’t want to overdo it and hurt my new stomach! Thanks so much for the input, this really has been my biggest concern of all!

My work wants me back the next day if I could. But I have read to many stories of people going back to soon and doing more harm than good. I’m taking a full six weeks off it’s not their health it’s mine.