Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie- strange questions or noT!

Let me say hello!

My surgery is scheduled for the 26th of this month.

After six months of doing the nutritional visits, doctor visits, etc. I am not excited nor do I feel down about getting the surgery... to be honest, I just want to get it over with. I think I may have seen doctors 20 or more times. lungs, Cardiovascular, 2 or more trips back to both doctors, xrays , testing, nutritionist and so on. Everything turned out ok . Lost about 10lbs, started my diet early.

Now I have these weird questions...

If your stomach is stapled, if you laugh or cough too hard will that cause issues with the staples?

What about scar tissue, I am a poster child for internal scar tissue. I wonder if that could cause a problem, later on down the line?

OK, so Im starting the sipping thing too, it takes me like 15/20 min to finish an 8oz Protein Shake , is that right?

I'm not supposed to start the liquid diet until the 11th I currently take 2 Protein Shakes, bfast & lunch, banana and low fat milk, snack, or Greek yogurt and or cottage cheese w/fruit then, regular dinner (but) can sometimes be too much, it seems I'm extra hungry, plus I've been walking for exercise, the more I walk the hungerer I am... I also eat 1 or 2 cups of crushed ice, that's an old habit that I have been doing forever...

I am looking forward to your comments and input.

1 hour ago, sleevin7 said:

If your stomach is stapled, if you laugh or cough too hard will that cause issues with the staples?

What about scar tissue, I am a poster child for internal scar tissue. I wonder if that could cause a problem, later on down the line?

OK, so Im starting the sipping thing too, it takes me like 15/20 min to finish an 8oz Protein Shake , is that right?

Welcome and best wishes on your upcoming surgery! This is a very supportive and friendly community, so dive right in!

Laughing and coughing should not affect your staples. Neither does throwing up. Leaks are extremely rare, but they are possible.

Scarring-Since you know this ahead of time, I'm sure your doctor will be on the lookout for "strictures". Basically, this is scar tissue that builds up and impedes the flow of food/liquids through your pouch into the intestines. If a stricture develops, the doctor uses a scope down your throat to get to it, then uses a balloon to stretch that section back out. Sometimes this needs to be done multiple times. Discuss this possibility with your doc.

15-20 minutes to finish a Protein Shake sounds about right. But this will only be in the very beginning. Most people start being able to drink more quickly (not gulping, but not tiny sips either) in a week or so.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, sleevin7 said:

Now I have these weird questions...

I'm not supposed to start the liquid diet until the 11th I currently take 2 Protein Shakes, bfast & lunch, banana and low fat milk, snack, or Greek yogurt and or cottage cheese w/fruit then, regular dinner (but) can sometimes be too much, it seems I'm extra hungry, plus I've been walking for exercise, the more I walk the hungerer I am... I also eat 1 or 2 cups of crushed ice, that's an old habit that I have been doing forever...

Leaks are pretty unlikely from a laugh or cough. But you have to be careful not to lift anything heavy for approx. 4-6 weeks (my limitation was 10lbs, then 20lbs). It will be sore and you will know when to "baby" it. The hospital that I had surgery at gives all bariatric patients a "Bari-Bear" and it helps when you sneeze or cough to hold it close to your abdomen. You can do the same thing with a pillow.

IMG_1955.JPG.ed01c64989abf8adb2caa3609e949c56.JPG

Scar tissue can always pose a risk, but that's what pre op testing is for. It should only cause a problem for future surgeries. There is always the possibility of a stricture as well. But they are easily identified and treated.

You don't need to practice sipping, your body will remind you, that I promise. Some people don't have a problem with drinking after a few days, weeks, and some take months. But within a few weeks, I could gulp without a problem. The bigger concern is the frequency that you are drinking. Make sure you set a timer and get your fluids in.

One of my top ten tips, is to avoid Protein Shakes until you have to (pre op diet or after surgery) because those shakes will become your worst enemy eventually. No need to expedite the process.

Crushed ice should be OK after surgery. I know a lot of community members who actually make snow cone ice and its been a God sent for them.

Good luck my dear! Congrats :)

Yes, the stomach reconstruction is pretty robust and such things are unlikely, and the musculature isn't really connected in a way that would cause such a problem (likewise, as is a common question at some point, neither will an orgasm create such a problem, as long as how one gets there doesn't cause any discomfort.)

What can sometimes result from a cough or sneeze is an incisional hernia, where the cuts were made to access your insides with the laproscopic tools - the fascia of the abdominal wall doesn't heal as quickly as the surrounding musculature, so that can reopen. Many practices supply or recommend using a small pillow to brace your abdomen under such conditions.

2 hours ago, AshAsh1 said:

One of my top ten tips, is to avoid Protein Shakes until you have to (pre op diet or after surgery) because those shakes will become your worst enemy eventually. No need to expedite the process.

I agree with everything AshAsh1 said and I whole-heartedly wish someone had given the little gem about Protein Shakes about a year ago. During my entire pre-op I tried going back to what worked during my Lap Band process, including shakes. I won't go so far as to say they've become my enemy, but I did get very tired of them.

At 2 months out I'm still not able to eat enough Protein, I feel I have to supplement. So, during the work week, I start my day with one because it's easy to sip/drink on my way to work. Had to change the brand and type from RTD to powder just to be able to tolerate them.

53 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

At 2 months out I'm still not able to eat enough Protein, I feel I have to supplement. So, during the work week, I start my day with one because it's easy to sip/drink on my way to work. Had to change the brand and type from RTD to powder just to be able to tolerate them.

I drink a Protein Water on the way to work. To me, they're less cloying than shakes, although still quite sweet.

Hey above poster RN, didn't they call eating crushed ice PICA, just like eating paste or clay or such? FYI I am a former paste eater, not out of compulsion as much as trying to quiet the Ghrelin Monster in my afternoon classes until I could ride the bus home to food. Wonder if I could name Elmer and Lapage paste as corespondents in my oversized bodyhood? I also used to eat chewing gum for the same reason?
Since its now True Confession time. for Breakfast I eat a healthy bowl of oatmeal with 1% milk, in the evening I eat a dinner of Protein, usually fish,chicken or lean beef, the pack,of cards size, vegetable usually Brussels sprouts, broccoli cauliflower or peas, tossed salad with dressing on the side, Water or flavored ones like Propel or Nestle Splash. I do drink a Protein Shake at lunchtime if I remember, Snacks a banana, one square of Graham cracker with small amount of Peanut Butter or just a glass of milk. I really cannot afford to cook a big lunch meal and a good dinner both. So although I haven t.gone out of my way to be sinful before the 2 week presurgery austerity program. I do occasionally drink a shake. Oh and sometimes I snack on 1% cottage cheese, the approved 1/2 cup amount. Am I hungry? Yes often, but I feel guilty being so flat out fat. Am I losing weight? The last time I was weighed I did weigh less but they shortened my height so I would go from BMI of 47 to nearly 50, do I think they may be fighting against me? Maybe, I sure LOOK taller than all of my friends. Am I tired of The whole proceedings -Yes- But if I stop I die, PCP and other doctors told me som So I keep on straddling the buzz saw hoping my lady parts don't get cut off in this process, but I am tired, hungry and. wearied by it all. I guess I'll succeed if it doesn't manage to kill me first. Structureluzed starvation isn't always fun, I am having a raging Poor little Me Day and my upper abdomen hurts without even any surgery!😟💦😟

The staples aren't what hurt when you cough or laugh, it's the abdominal incisions. For some people hugging a pillow helps, for some people (me) it didn't. It's about 20 seconds of sharp, shocking pain each time but then it's done. Sucks, but is over after the first week.

Regarding food intake, my doctor didn't make us go on a liquid diet until 24 hours before surgery and just based on tracking against others who got surgery at the same time, I think it helped me in the post-op month because I didn't start off hungry and undernourished. Now: that doesn't mean I'm saying you should ignore your doctor's orders. But what I am saying is, maybe don't do it early. We all get enthused about getting the process started, but if you don't have to go on liquids until the 11th, and you're feeling hungry right now on cottage cheese, then just eat like a normal person for the next two days. Don't go overboard, but don't start starving yourself ahead of your doctor's schedule - it's like going for a one-mile sprint before you start a marathon.

And I agree with everyone else about the shakes. Drink a couple to figure out what brands you like and why, then don't touch them until the doc starts you on them. You will get tired of them, and post-op your preferences might change anyhow, so pace yourself.

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hey above poster RN, didn't they call eating crushed ice PICA, just like eating paste or clay or such?

Compulsive eating of non-nutritive items is indeed PICA. Eating ice has it's own "brand name" of pica called: pagophagia. I have seen it in individuals who are chronically anemic.

However, as a nurse I am not qualified to diagnose and I do try to stay away from offering medical advice on these support boards. I ALWAYS defer to the poster's doctor. That is why I didn't address it in my original post. I would hope that since sleevin7 is already scheduled for surgery that the doctor and psychologist are aware of the "old habit".

14 hours ago, S@ssen@ch said:

Compulsive eating of non-nutritive items is indeed PICA. Eating ice has it's own "brand name" of pica called: pagophagia. I have seen it in individuals who are chronically anemic.

However, as a nurse I am not qualified to diagnose and I do try to stay away from offering medical advice on these support boards. I ALWAYS defer to the poster's doctor. That is why I didn't address it in my original post. I would hope that since sleevin7 is already scheduled for surgery that the doctor and psychologist are aware of the "old habit".

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Yes, I'm a anemic and have been one for as long as I can remember. Although, I have heard of that but I love to drink Water and chomp on ice. I can surpass the required amount easily. This is a habit that I don't want to break because it helps me get that 8 cups a day. I don't drink tea or coffee, carbonated beverages, except, Coke and I can't have that, no big deal. I call it a blessing and a curse, a blessing because I can get 8 cups in per day. A curse because, I have to go to the ladies room :)

15 hours ago, sideeye said:

The staples aren't what hurt when you cough or laugh, it's the abdominal incisions. For some people hugging a pillow helps, for some people (me) it didn't. It's about 20 seconds of sharp, shocking pain each time but then it's done. Sucks, but is over after the first week.

Regarding food intake, my doctor didn't make us go on a liquid diet until 24 hours before surgery and just based on tracking against others who got surgery at the same time, I think it helped me in the post-op month because I didn't start off hungry and undernourished. Now: that doesn't mean I'm saying you should ignore your doctor's orders. But what I am saying is, maybe don't do it early. We all get enthused about getting the process started, but if you don't have to go on liquids until the 11th, and you're feeling hungry right now on cottage cheese, then just eat like a normal person for the next two days. Don't go overboard, but don't start starving yourself ahead of your doctor's schedule - it's like going for a one-mile sprint before you start a marathon.

And I agree with everyone else about the shakes. Drink a couple to figure out what brands you like and why, then don't touch them until the doc starts you on them. You will get tired of them, and post-op your preferences might change anyhow, so pace yourself.

Ditto, I agree. I appreciate your input. I also just wanted to see if I could handle it, and to a degree, I can. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hey above poster RN, didn't they call eating crushed ice PICA, just like eating paste or clay or such? FYI I am a former paste eater, not out of compulsion as much as trying to quiet the Ghrelin Monster in my afternoon classes until I could ride the bus home to food. Wonder if I could name Elmer and Lapage paste as corespondents in my oversized bodyhood? I also used to eat chewing gum for the same reason?
Since its now True Confession time. for Breakfast I eat a healthy bowl of oatmeal with 1% milk, in the evening I eat a dinner of Protein, usually fish,chicken or lean beef, the pack,of cards size, vegetable usually Brussels sprouts, broccoli cauliflower or peas, tossed salad with dressing on the side, Water or flavored ones like Propel or Nestle Splash. I do drink a Protein Shake at lunchtime if I remember, Snacks a banana, one square of Graham cracker with small amount of Peanut Butter or just a glass of milk. I really cannot afford to cook a big lunch meal and a good dinner both. So although I haven t.gone out of my way to be sinful before the 2 week presurgery austerity program. I do occasionally drink a shake. Oh and sometimes I snack on 1% cottage cheese, the approved 1/2 cup amount. Am I hungry? Yes often, but I feel guilty being so flat out fat. Am I losing weight? The last time I was weighed I did weigh less but they shortened my height so I would go from BMI of 47 to nearly 50, do I think they may be fighting against me? Maybe, I sure LOOK taller than all of my friends. Am I tired of The whole proceedings -Yes- But if I stop I die, PCP and other doctors told me som So I keep on straddling the buzz saw hoping my lady parts don't get cut off in this process, but I am tired, hungry and. wearied by it all. I guess I'll succeed if it doesn't manage to kill me first. Structureluzed starvation isn't always fun, I am having a raging Poor little Me Day and my upper abdomen hurts without even any surgery!😟💦😟

Are there people that just enjoy eating ice? Like I love, Rita's frozen ice and our local shaved ice cones store is fabulous, but I can't have that. I enjoy Water and ice. First the water, then the ice. It fills me up a little too. I never thought of it as a "thing." Most have said its a healthy way of drinking water, so idk. I like my drinks super cold, which I may not be able to do anymore... stomach may not be able to handle that, we will have to see. I've also got my Iron up to about a 9 or 10 and still liked ice. I think the normal range for iron is 12...Not sure.

17 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I drink a Protein Water on the way to work. To me, they're less cloying than shakes, although still quite sweet.

Call me crazy but I love the Protein shakes! They have Choc, banana, and vanilla, however, they just cancelled the ready to drink because it didn't cover enough carbs... so drats, I"m stuck with powder choc.

1 hour ago, sleevin7 said:

Call me crazy but I love the Protein shakes! They have Choc, banana, and vanilla, however, they just cancelled the ready to drink because it didn't cover enough carbs... so drats, I"m stuck with powder choc.

Who cancelled the ready-to-drink? What do you mean "didn't cover enough carbs"? I don't think I've seen anyone on the board who couldn't drink the ready-to-drink if they wanted to.

Geesh what brand of Protein? I hope it isn't the one I've stocked up on and sitting on my "you are going to need THIS later" shelf, the one where the chips, pretzels, Crackers and Boxed Cookies used to live. Spill the Beans please?😩