Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts on doing a pouch reset

Hi everyone. Posted about a week ago about wanting to do a pouch reset after being in a stall for almost 3 weeks and because I had started to fall back into my old eating habits (not counting calories, not eating Protein first, eating junk food, eating as soon as I felt “hungry”, etc). Looked it up online and the first day I did Clear Liquids only, followed by a few days of Protein Shakes. Here are some realizations, good and bad, which I hope help anyone that is thinking about doing this:
1. It was ALOT easier this time around!! Lol. Had two do a 2-week pre-op diet when I started this back in January and that was SUPER hard. I suffer from Migraines and got one almost everyday. This time around, it was SO much easier and no migraines!! 🙂 I’m assuming it’s bc of our small stomachs that don’t need as much food so my little sleeve was mostly content. So that was nice to experience.

2. I realized that most of the “hunger” I had been feeling was mostly head hunger and not real hunger. I still can’t seem to tell the difference and it gets me in trouble sometimes. Before I did this, I had started to experience a lot of hunger, which also made me eat crappy and I thought I had broken my pouch or something was wrong. I think it was just really head hunger and I was giving in to temptation. It’s taught me a lot.

3. It was nice to take a break from cooking and thinking about what to eat. At least for me. It was nice that I knew I would be having a Protein Shake and that I was all set. Even though I am almost 5 months out, I still worry about eating out or what my meal will be if I am out. Definitely gave me a break from that but it also made me realize that it’s not a big deal and that I shouldn’t worry so much.

4. I broke my stall!! I obviously know that it’s because I was in liquids but after the scale not moving, it was nice to see a change. I am still a slave to the scale and worry about the number WAY too much! But I’m working on it lol. Rome wasn’t built in a day 🤪

5. Of course it’s harder on the weekend, especially if you have family or commitments. I turned down an invitation to go out with friends on Saturday because I thought it would be best for me. And of course my family was already used to me eating regular foods so it was harder for them when they were trying to eat and I was having my shakes.

6. The biggest issue, for me at least, was how easy it was to keep going and how obsessed you can get with the regimen and the scale, if it’s going down. My personality is one that if I commit to something I will do it 110%, which can be bad at times. I ended up being on shakes longer than I wanted to because I was feeling ok, was seeing results, and because it was easy overall. I ended up doing it for 6 days instead of 3 and truthfully, could’ve kept going. But as we all know, I’m sure it’s not the best and no one can live off shakes forever and we all need to learn how to eat healthy and in moderation. So definitely can be a slippery slope depending on the results and your personality.

So I hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this or anyone that has been struggling lately with overeating or not eating well. You can definitely “reset,” you can definitely hit pause and re-evaluate things, and your pouch will be ok 😊

I am having the same issue with eating the wrong things and too much. I am 4 yrs post op and I’ve gained about 10lbs back. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but I’m worried I’m heading back to my old ways. I recently had to drink a Chalk like drink and have my stomach xrayed due to a recurring hernia. The dr said my stomach is somewhat stretched, but not enough to be concerned. Can doing g a reset shrink it back down?