Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Until Better? (Sleeved May 9th)

So I was as prepared for this as possible, doing lots and lots of research and reading/watching about people who have had it.

I had my surgery 5/9, and I was wondering about how long does it take for your stomach to stop hurting as much and it gets easier to drink? My stomach gurgles like crazy now whenever I take a drink of anything. I know things WILL get better, just curious how long it took people.

everyone heals at a different rate. 1-2 weeks would be completely normal.

you should feel a little better everyday it is a gradual improvement.

Walk as much as you can it is the driver of the healing process. the less you walk the longer it takes.

I noticed quite a bit of improvement on the 4th postop day and it has been steadily improving since. I just have to be careful not to take more than a small drink at a time.

2 hours ago, allwet said:

everyone heals at a different rate. 1-2 weeks would be completely normal.

you should feel a little better everyday it is a gradual improvement.

Walk as much as you can it is the driver of the healing process. the less you walk the longer it takes.

I do feel a bit better than I did yesterday, but it's still super hard to make myself drink. Nothing sounds good. (Except ironically crackers, but even if I wasn't on a clear liquid diet, as much as just Water and Jello bother me, I wouldn't dream of them lol. I think it's juts normally if I'm nauseated-crackers help. So my stomach hurts and I feel nauseated, so I want crackers. Someday!) I'm not sure how much I should be walking, but I have gotten up at least 5 times today to just walk around the house. I go until my stomach starts really aching. I'll definitely try to do more every day. Hiccuping hurts the worst.

2 hours ago, MIZ60 said:

I noticed quite a bit of improvement on the 4th postop day and it has been steadily improving since. I just have to be careful not to take more than a small drink at a time.

I'm so glad to hear that and that you are feeling better too! Surgery for me was 5/9 so at least I'm already 2 days out!

I had my surgery 5/9 as well. Just barely getting in the right fluids and Protein.

Each day has been better so far. . . .

Hang in there! It won't last forever.

So cool to have 2 others with the same sleeve date!

10 hours ago, Sleeved36 said:

I had my surgery 5/9 as well. Just barely getting in the right fluids and Protein.

Each day has been better so far. . . .

Hang in there! It won't last forever.

I feel the same. I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting the right Protein in, but Im getting what I can get in right now. Just got up, took my medicine, and mixed up a small thing of sugar free Powerade with some protein.. not wanting to drink it but I'll definitely start sipping on it soon. The pain from moving around is better today for me, it's more when I get hiccups or have to drink or god forbid take my pills lol. Good luck as well!

2 hours ago, madscientistmommy said:

I am 5/9 date too. I’m doing ok with fluids, but don’t really want to eat. Did you ask your dr for some zofran or a scopamine patch? I still have a patch from the hospital and I think it’s helping.

Oh man I just realized my patch is gone haha. They put one on me before surgery and said it was good for 3 days but i forgot about it.. it's not there anyways though so it either fell off or they took it off when I was out of it lol. What all did they give you as an okay to eat? I can have popcicles and broth and Jello, those go down okay for me. Drinking is the hardest for me though.

I had surgery on the 10th. I tried my Protein Shake this morning and it was disgusting!! 🤣 I work on 4 oz of a premiere shake right now which is much better. I can drink, but it still hurts and is uncomfortable. I had a hiatal hernia repair as well so that could be why it is so hard to swallow.

How are you guys pain wise?

2 minutes ago, Minerva1113 said:

I had surgery on the 10th. I tried my Protein Shake this morning and it was disgusting!! 🤣 I work on 4 oz of a premiere shake right now which is much better. I can drink, but it still hurts and is uncomfortable. I had a hiatal hernia repair as well so that could be why it is so hard to swallow.

How are you guys pain wise?

I was told Clear Liquids only, but that I could mix some Protein Powder with some clear liquids so that's what I've been working on lol. It's hard and uncomfortable for me to swallow- but I just put that down to the fact they put two tubes down my throat (one for breathing and one for sizing the new stomach) so if they do the same for your stomach that could be part of it too?

Every now and then I get a hiccup or "half hiccup" if that makes sense and then my chest and stomach catch and it hurts, when that happens I'd say I'm about a 5-6, when I swallow pills it's about a 6, but just normal sitting/walking it's down to usually about a 2 now. Where I can feel the uncomfortableness but it's not unbearable.

Hiccups are the worst and I got them constantly the first few days. They were bad the first night and triggering some type of spasm in my chest muscles to the point I felt I could not breathe. Terrible. Have not had them for about a week. Are you supposed to be crushing your pills up....I am and even though it tastes nasty it does not cause any discomfort other than a weird sort of indigestion for about 10-15 minutes after the Vitamins.

It is so funny that you mentioned the hiccup. I have the same thing, even the “half” hiccup. 🤣

When I don’t move or drink I hardly have any pain. Walking is ok but getting up and down is still pretty painful. My gas is finally moving and starting to come out ... what a relieve!!

I am on a liquid diet which means I can have even yogurt but thinned out. It has to be pouring consistency.

8 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Hiccups are the worst and I got them constantly the first few days. They were bad the first night and triggering some type of spasm in my chest muscles to the point I felt I could not breathe. Terrible. Have not had them for about a week. Are you supposed to be crushing your pills up....I am and even though it tastes nasty it does not cause any discomfort other than a weird sort of indigestion for about 10-15 minutes after the Vitamins.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I wonder what they are from. It's the same here, it feels hard to catch a breath after I have the hiccup... I was a bit confused on the crushing or not, and I did get one. There was a booklet my doctor gave me that said to crush all meds and not to use capsules.. but then his nurses were telling me that small pills and capsules are fine and the whole time I was there they were giving me pills whole with Water. I even asked to clarify and they said it was absolutely fine... I may crush some though if it keeps feeling the way it does. I didn't take my Vitamins yesterday but I will today. (All but the multvitamin.. I got liquid and it's 6% alcohol, go figure. I called and he told me to wait until Monday for that one. So as long as he knows about it.)

10 minutes ago, Minerva1113 said:

It is so funny that you mentioned the hiccup. I have the same thing, even the “half” hiccup. 🤣

When I don’t move or drink I hardly have any pain. Walking is ok but getting up and down is still pretty painful. My gas is finally moving and starting to come out ... what a relieve!!

I am on a liquid diet which means I can have even yogurt but thinned out. It has to be pouring consistency.

Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one but I'm sorry other people have this too baha! I didnt know how to explain the half hiccup other than to call it that- it makes breathing afterwards a real pain in the butt.

The pain is about the same here, but I will say getting up out of bed today was a breeze for me. Sitting on the toilet hurt a bit, but then got better after I was back up and walking. Yay for gas going away!

I'm a bit jealous.. I'm on a clear liquid until Monday diet lol. Though Im not a big fan of yogurt so that's not too bad, but wouldn't mind having a few other options. Just finished my Protein and felt super nauseated for a bit but feeling better now.

How is it for you guys to put something in you stomach?

My stomach still kind of cramps and I hear air or the Water moving around. Really weird. Anyone of you experience that too?

27 minutes ago, Minerva1113 said:

How is it for you guys to put something in you stomach?

My stomach still kind of cramps and I hear air or the Water moving around. Really weird. Anyone of you experience that too?

It's still like that for me, but less every day. Today has been a hard day for the random hiccups for me, but my stomach has been a.. little? bit less gurgly. But still rumbles most the time when anything gets to my stomach.

That’s good to know that someone else experiences that too. It is so hard for me to get anything down because every single sip hurts and makes my stomach upset. I really hope that it gets better soon.