Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So frustrated

I went to my information session at the beginning of Nov 2017. They told us everything we would need. I got all my physician approvals and when I met with the surgeon for the first time we discussed how I’m anemic. I told him my Iron was always low, Ive needed iron infusions in the past and two different hematologists can’t figure out why I’m anemic. He said it wasn’t an issue. After surgery we’d monitor it carefully. This is the end of January. They send me for lab work and in early March I have an appt with the psychologist, nutritionist, nurse practitioner and exercise physiologist. They all have to clear me for the next step. At this appt I’m told I need to go on birth control and I can’t move forward until I do that. Why didn’t they tell me that at my info session or surgeon appt? I get into my ob/gyn at the end of April and get the pill. Now they are telling me my iron is too low. Again, why didn’t you tell me this before. I met with the np in March and she had my latest labs. We talked about it. I would have made an appt with my hematologist. So I made one now but he can’t see me until June. Wtf! So irritated. They need to get their s$&@ together.

Aw man girlie. Jumping the pre-op hurdles suck and are soooooo stressful. Hang in there girl. Nothin you can do but pray. Maybe you could throw yourself on the mercy of the doc's nurses and explain the hold-up. Maybe they would put you on the next available list or fit you in? Sending good vibes!!!

I was in the same boat, but was already seeing a Hematologist BEFORE I decided on the VSG. My Hematologist and Surgeon are actually in close contact and ordering labs (I see the Hematologist every other month). I'm anemic and have low Vitamin D, which are both concerns for the surgery. Part of my surgical approval was that I had to be cleared by the Hematologist (surgeon's requirement). Ask your surgeon to give you a referral to see if the Hematologist can get you in earlier, since they're requiring you to see one.

As far as the birth control, I went and got the IUD so I don't have to worry about it (personal choice because I can't remember to take the pill and I know 4 women who have gotten pregnant while on the Depo shot. If your OB can't get you in early, have your surgeon do a referral and the OB will get you in quickly. I know in Alabama too, some family doctors can prescribe birth control. Good luck with everything!

Hang in there and don't give up!

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 228
GW: 165

5 hours ago, Lillymunster said:

They need to get their s$&@ together.

I agree whole heartedly! Most doctors don't realize how grave the consequences are of their actions. It can impact peoples lives so much. And a lot of doctor's offices are just skating by without any sense of organization or good office policy in place. With a bariatric doctor, there is always a program. You'd think they'd be a well oiled machine.

Hang in there love, this too shall pass.