Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use some support...

I know it might seem a bit desperate but I'm going to give it a go... I feel kind of alone even though I'm surrounded by people. I feel like I'm a liar because I can't be honest with anyone. I put on this smiling face and say I'm f.i.n.e. but really I'm not and I really need some people to talk to. Maybe, hopefully some people can relate and we can help each other. Anyone who might be interested in a new friend, please don't hesitate to message me.

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi gaygirl, this is the perfect place to talk. So what has you so down?

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi gaygirl, this is the perfect place to talk. So what has you so down?

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have a lot of issues. My weight as well as many emotional problems. I feel like my family is acting like this is no big deal when in my mind it's extreme. I'm relatively young (32) so I think they all think I'll be fine because of that. No one seems to be concerned with the mental side of things. I have an anxiety disorder and lately I just can't get it under control. I fear that the anxiety could break me

Hi Gaygirl. It can be scary. And truthfully when people ask you how you are they are expecting you to say fine. Unless you are in a forum like here. And really this surgery isn’t so bad!! It’s not so extreme. You can do it!!

It feels extreme to me... My dad had the gastric bypass about 8 years ago and he had awful complications. I'm worried I'll have the same issues since I'm close (or was) to his pre op weight

These forums are a perfect place for you to discuss the mental struggles of surgery (or life in general) but as with any mental illness, you need more support than just a forum. We are definitely here for you. This is a HUGE step and it WILL change your life. Maybe (if you don't already have one, or in the process of already doing so) look into some counseling. They can give you some powerful tools to help cope with the big changes coming your way. For the surgery to be successful for anyone we must except that our lives are changing. It's scary. But....it's also the beginning of the rest of our lives. To a new, healthier you!
Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

It feels extreme to me... My dad had the gastric bypass about 8 years ago and he had awful complications. I'm worried I'll have the same issues since I'm close (or was) to his pre op weight

Hi there! Sorry this has you concerned but may be you can turn that into something positive.... this is for you and you are taking it seriously- sounds like you will do well because you are weighing all the consequences. My sister had gastric bypass 10 years ago& has had many setbacks... even knowing that I am taking the leap. I am terrified but I am positive too. I just remember I am not my sister & it’s up to me to do what I can with this tool .. it’s up to each one of us. I wish you the very best on your journey & peace of mind as you make decisions. There are fantastic people on this site that can help & listen:)

While I’m glad you have an outlet on this forum, I’m going to tell you something you don’t want to hear. This surgery is as much mental as it is physical. You need to get help with your anxiety before you proceed. The mental game of loosing weight is strong enough, coupled with the surge of hormones released from fat cells lost. There is a reason that most programs require a psych evaluation... it’s nothing to take lightly. Please consider counseling before you make any final moves.

Agree with AshAsh above. Also highly reccomend the book through thick and thin - it’s about the weight loss journey and focuses a lot on the mental side of things as well as the physical. It’s maybe 7 dollars on Amazon and totally worth the read.