Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Louis Missouri

I am having Gastric Bypass hopefully before the end of April at Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital.

Tinab719 - Who was your surgeon? What kind of results have you had? Any advice for those of us getting ready to have surgery?

I had gastric sleeve in 2011.Then severe gerd later.Had bypass 2016.Went to DePaul.Dr.Morales.Have never regretted it.I have lost a total of 110 lbs from my heaviest.

I'm not FROM St. Louis, but I had my surgery there on Feb. 15, with Dr. Salles and Dr. Eagon from the Washington University program, at Barnes-Jewish. That was two weeks ago, and I'm down 25 pounds as of today.

My surgery was long (6 hours) due to complications, but I couldn't be happier with Dr. Salles (I still haven't met Dr. Eagon). She's great!

Congrats on your loss, Istytehcrawk! Did you have your surgery at the hospital in the Central West End, or Barnes-Jewish West? Do you mind me asking what complications you had?

I will be having bypass at Barnes hospital. I am in the Wash U program right now.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, Charity G said:

Congrats on your loss, Istytehcrawk! Did you have your surgery at the hospital in the Central West End, or Barnes-Jewish West? Do you mind me asking what complications you had?

Mine was at Barnes South, on the campus with the Center for Advanced Medicine.

My only complication with the surgery itself (as far as I know) was that I sprung a leak before they got me closed up, so they had to repair that. They also apparently had some trouble getting my feet positioned on the bed/table AND it turns out I'm allergic to the hospital socks (which were on my feet for 7+ hours), so the bottoms of my feet seem to have some nerve damage. The surgeon says she expects it will resolve itself, and it seems to be, but very slowly.

How is your recovery going, Istytehcrawk? How was/is the liquid phase of the diet after surgery?

So sorry about your feet @istytehcrwk, that is a conundrum of life, unwashed fabrics can still contain free dyes and other fabric fillers, usually eliminated with a good laundering but then they are not fresh and sterile. And that alas is a truth.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

17 hours ago, Charity G said:

How is your recovery going, Istytehcrawk? How was/is the liquid phase of the diet after surgery?

Pretty good for the most part. I haven't had any nausea/vomiting, and my pain is now gone other than occasional sharp pains from the scar tissue forming under my stapler incision (my cousin had the same surgery nine years ago and said she had the same pains off and on for nearly a year). Having some trouble getting in enough Protein and fluids, but protein Water is helping with that. The liquid stage wasn't as bad as I expected, but the puree stage has sucked because I'm such a texture person. I'm excited to start soft foods on Thursday.

What kind of diet were you on right before the surgery? When I met with Dr. Eagon the nurse said I needed to be working toward 1400 calories a day. But, I meet with the nurse on March 27 (ten days prior to my surgery) and was wondering if they will change this recommendation to liquids or reduced calories.

1 hour ago, Charity G said:

What kind of diet were you on right before the surgery? When I met with Dr. Eagon the nurse said I needed to be working toward 1400 calories a day. But, I meet with the nurse on March 27 (ten days prior to my surgery) and was wondering if they will change this recommendation to liquids or reduced calories.

I was on the 1400-calorie diet all the way up to (and including) the day before surgery, then nothing to eat or drink after midnight that night. The program, I was shocked to learn, does not require any special pre-op diet other than that.

I’m just over the river in Illinois, Edwardsville area. I was with Barnes for a year. I jumped thru all the hoops, got approval for my surgery on Dec 1st, 2017 but nobody called with a surgery date. I waited 2 weeks thinking they needed time to process things...then I called. Found out they had a problem with my insurance and would not do the surgery after all. I can’t begin to tell you how angry I was. I am now set up with a different program but having to jump thru hoops all over again. I have a large hiatal hernia. My entire stomach is twisted up into my chest cavity and my esophagus is all twisted, it looks more like intestines. I just want my surgery ASAP so I can feel better!