Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations for Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hi pals,

I am a 31 yr old male, 340lbs as of today and have diabetes, high blood pressure, and severe sleep apnea. My physician brought up the topic of getting bariatric surgery and how it could be helpful for someone like me. I started doing research on various surgeries, their benefits, complications, and side effects and after much research, I have made up my mind to get a gastric bypass done. While I understand that it is the most expensive of all the other types, I also know it is the Gols Standard when it comes to weight loss surgeries super obese person. I checked with my insurance today and learned that the surgery will not be covered under my plan, which sucks due to the high costs involved but I think the costs and risks outweigh the benefits over time.

Could you pals help me get started on my journey here? I am looking to get it done sooner than later and since I will be paying out of my pocket, I am looking for some economical options stateside. Please share your experience with me, especially if you have had one done recently and the cost was a consideration in your case too.

Thank you very much!

Your pal

39 minutes ago, Anks said:

Hi pals,

I am a 31 yr old male, 340lbs as of today and have diabetes, high blood pressure, and severe sleep apnea. My physician brought up the topic of getting bariatric surgery and how it could be helpful for someone like me. I started doing research on various surgeries, their benefits, complications, and side effects and after much research, I have made up my mind to get a gastric bypass done. While I understand that it is the most expensive of all the other types, I also know it is the Gols Standard when it comes to weight loss surgeries super obese person. I checked with my insurance today and learned that the surgery will not be covered under my plan, which sucks due to the high costs involved but I think the costs and risks outweigh the benefits over time.

Could you pals help me get started on my journey here? I am looking to get it done sooner than later and since I will be paying out of my pocket, I am looking for some economical options stateside. Please share your experience with me, especially if you have had one done recently and the cost was a consideration in your case too.

Thank you very much!

Your pal

Are you able to get a different insurance? The insurance I had when I started my journey was not one I would use for this so I started the journey out of pocket and it turned out I was getting a new insurance and it was much better... so a couple month pre op I was able to use the new insurance that had better program... might be worth the money to buy your own insurance that would cover it.. just a thought... good luck!

55 minutes ago, Anks said:

which sucks due to the high costs involved but I think the costs and risks outweigh the benefits over time.

I think you said that arse-about ...

Should, hopefully, say: "... I think the benefits to me CLEARLY OUTWEIGH the total cost and the relatively minuscule risk over time."

i paid out of pocket too for RNY.

my only advice would be not to do this on the cheap. if done right, the surgery will change your life and keep you healthy and happy for the rest of your days. if done wrong you could suffer chronic complications like strictures, leaks, etc.

you can only do this once. find the best surgeon you can. even if it means waiting longer to get the surgery or having to borrow the money. it is worth it 100x over.

i joke that i paid around $20,000 for the surgery, and that was WILDLY mis-priced. because i would have paid $200k if i had to.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:34 PM, Cowgirl12 said:

Are you able to get a different insurance? The insurance I had when I started my journey was not one I would use for this so I started the journey out of pocket and it turned out I was getting a new insurance and it was much better... so a couple month pre op I was able to use the new insurance that had better program... might be worth the money to buy your own insurance that would cover it.. just a thought... good luck!

Thanks, but not an option. i have made up my mind to pay out of my pocket.

7 hours ago, JohnnyCakes said:

i paid out of pocket too for RNY.

my only advice would be not to do this on the cheap. if done right, the surgery will change your life and keep you healthy and happy for the rest of your days. if done wrong you could suffer chronic complications like strictures, leaks, etc.

you can only do this once. find the best surgeon you can. even if it means waiting longer to get the surgery or having to borrow the money. it is worth it 100x over.

i joke that i paid around $20,000 for the surgery, and that was WILDLY mis-priced. because i would have paid $200k if i had to.

Totaly understand your point, but I do not have an option to pay $20000 out of my pocket at this time and due to my health reasons I have to get it soon. So looking for more economical options.

If I were wanting to do this more economically I would consider Bariatric Pal MX and. Dr Illian. Although there are doctors in Texas, Louisiana, Michigan and Florida that are more budget-friendly, Alex Brecher will be having his revision to Mini Bypass at Bariatric PalMx, and it isn't because of economic issues because he could afford any US or Canadian surgeon. He knows the staff there and trusts them with his own health.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I've heard nothing but good things about Bariatric Pal MX and. Dr Illian, although he is in Mexico please don't let that discourage you. At least look into it.

My sister’s friend went to Mexico and is doing well. I think you miss out on the pre /post surgery prep and support.

just had my surgery and even with insurance it has cost a lot out of pocket🤨

upside, I lost almost 40 pounds pre surgery, the surgery went well. I’m experiencing little pain, and the dr. told me I’m done with diabetes meds!

Feel like I was prepared mentally and physically for surgery.

best wishes on your journey 😊