Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sushi in soft phase? Rice?

Entering soft phase- had a post asking for suggestions and didn’t get any reply’s i will try something more specific...

How did you all do with sushi and sashimi in the soft phase- yes- rice included in some instances.

Thanks for your help!

Not a great idea. For many reasons.

I love sushi, but raw seafood is not a risk I would take in a healing stomach. Even though I know the risk is extremely minimal, it's still just not worth it.

Rice, particularly sushi rice....is a high glycemic food. It creates rebound hunger with insulin spikes. Also, rice is tough on a healing tummy, particularly that much rice without a liquid lubricant. I think the odds of it getting stuck and giving you a case of the slimeys is pretty high.

My advice...avoid sushi until you've asked your doctor about it and made an informed decision.

Edited by Creekimp13

I had sushi (no raw seafood involved) about two weeks ago, but I sure wouldn't have tried it in the soft phase--I'm five months out. Probably my biggest adventure in the soft phase was taking a can of beef vegetable Soup and pureeing it . . . that was tasty. But it's too early to take any chances with your tender new tummy!

I think the first month after surgery is hard, but it does get easier after that. Hang in there.

Rice is something I don't enjoy a year out so I definitely would not want to do it early on. We all tend to react to foods differently, but for many of us rice is a no-go food. It doesn't sit well with me and honestly you get nothing from it. My wife got me onto riced cauliflower. It at least has the constancy of rice and if you doctor it up can taste just as good. As far as the regular stuff goes I’d avoid it.

17 minutes ago, orionburn said:

Rice is something I don't enjoy a year out so I definitely would not want to do it early on. We all tend to react to foods differently, but for many of us rice is a no-go food. It doesn't sit well with me and honestly you get nothing from it. My wife got me onto riced cauliflower. It at least has the constancy of rice and if you doctor it up can taste just as good. As far as the regular stuff goes I’d avoid it.

How doth you doctor it up?

5 minutes ago, Half-Tum said:

How doth you doctor it up?

I'll have to find the recipe my wife uses. Basically once you rice the cauliflower you can make it up like fried rice. She'll put some eggs in and a few veggies, then we serve that with chicken. It gives me my Chinese food fix and is actually good for you!

This is close enough to the one she uses. If you search for it you'll fine a host of different ways to make it: https://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice

Edited by orionburn

I can't eat rice. First, one roll slice will fill you up. Rice expands and it's not fun. Second, rice was really hard to digest and had me spitting up for hours. Third, I wouldn't consider rice on the "soft foods" list. Do you have list of foods taht fall under that description? Maybe a rice pudding? But then it's all sugar and carbs. Rice is one of my "rarely ever eat again" foods, sushi as well. I get chicken teriyaki when I go to a japanese restaurant.

don't eat rice... Even after it is cooked it can expand in your stomach and make it larger... I love sushi but will be sticking to sashimi (no rice, just the raw fish) when I am able.

Rice and Pasta are NO NOs. They do not work at all with me.

I’m so sad. Not because o love rice but because i love sushi and even when I was overeating it was such a safe food for me. Low fat and high in Protein and no sauces and added calories. [emoji53] I will stick to sashimi. I am about a month out now and completed 3 weeks of purees and allowed to begin soft food including all fish. I guess i will stick to only the raw fish for now

I’m so sad. Not because o love rice but because i love sushi and even when I was overeating it was such a safe food for me. Low fat and high in Protein and no sauces and added calories. [emoji53] I will stick to sashimi. I am about a month out now and completed 3 weeks of purees and allowed to begin soft food including all fish. I guess i will stick to only the raw fish for now

I looove white rice and sushi, I could eat that everyday if I could however once I removed the rice from my diet I started seeing results. Unfortunately all carbs and not that many nutrients.

I plan to have it maybe once in a while and if it agrees with me, otherwise there are ton of other options like sashimi. Also, almost all sushi restaurants I’ve gone to have a roll or two that do not have rice, I tried one wrapped in cucumber and it was delicious.

HW - 209
SW - 200
CW - 177
Surgery Date - 12/19/17

I’m almost 8 weeks out and rice still doesn’t sit well with me.

I had some tonight, dissected my favorite roll so that I could have the fish and the flavor but not eat much of the rice. I used to be able to eat like 2.5 rolls! Tonight I could only have 3 pieces, and dissected pieces at that! But it was delicious and lots of healthy Protein in that salmon and tuna. [emoji39]