Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weirdness lying flat on back 5 days post-op?

Hey all - since coming home from the hospital (where I was propped up slightly in hospital bed) I've been sleeping in a recliner to keep from rolling over onto my drain and to keep my dogs from wanting to climb on me. This afternoon I thought I'd lie down for a few minutes with them to cuddle and make them happy. The minute I went flat on my back I was terrified. It felt really wrong. Not painful, but somehow not right and I was positive that I would not be able to get up again without hurting myself really badly. Unfortunately hubby was downstairs with the tv on so didn't hear me yelling him for a few minutes. When he did, I scared the bejeesuz outta him. He pulled me up to sitting on the side of the bed and I've got orders to stay in the recliner for now. Has anyone else had a problem lying flat shortly after surgery, or a weird "this is very wrong" sensation?

On the plus side, one of my pups didn't even want my husband to touch me, he was so concerned and has laid at my feet, guarding any approach to me for the past two hours. Good boy!

Never experienced anything like that, but I didn’t go home with a drain. I had a lot of trouble getting restful sleep on my back and was very pleased when I could sleep on my side and then on my stomach. I was able to start sleeping on my side a little earlier than I might have been able to otherwise by propping up my (since-disappeared) belly with a body pillow.

I don’t think you’ll injure yourself by laying down and sitting back up, but it’ll really hurt at your incision sites when you do.

I couldn’t lay on my back for the first 10 days or so. It was just uncomfortable, not sure about a wrong feeling, but definitely didn’t like it. Sitting up was hard too because of the incisions. I had a lot of trouble with recliners as well because it compressed my abdomen, which hurt. Ultimately I had to setup myself in bed similar to a hospital bed. You’ll likely be fine to lay flat in a few days.

I know what you are feeling. A few years ago I had an accident. I was thrown face first onto asphalt when the haywagon I was on unexpectedly moved. I fell onto my right arm and my weight broke it. For a year or so after I healed if i would turn onto my stomach even in my sleep I would have a panic attack. I would call what you had a positional panic attack, it's like your body remembered Hey I'm flat on my back, this ISN'T good, and it warned you Get back in a sitting position I'm not happy this way. It will get better as you heal and you'll,be okay soon.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I injured my knee a year ago and I have slept on my back since. I have slept on my back since coming home from the hospital with no problem. I was slow getting up for a few days but started walking two hours after surgery and been fine. Why did u have to have drains? Just curious. I didn’t have them in surgery or coming home. I have seen that others have had them too

Well back in the bad old days when I had an open gallbladder surgery I had a drain for awhile. My surgeon said some people's innards produce more Fluid as they heal, I was in the hospital for 5 days and they took it out the morning I went home and steri-stripped the opening. Would guess its something like that.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I had this very same thing happen.. less the dogs and scared hubby! I laid down in bed the 3rd night, still slightly propped up and my internal stitches pulled. My stomach area felt like it was caving in! Weird. My daughter helped me back to the chair and there I stayed for 12 nights! I am a belly sleeper and I am just now, 1 month out on 1-26, to sleep 1/2 side and belly. Hang in there!

Thanks all! Glad to hear I'm not entirely crazy! Before hubby went to work today, he stopped by the recliner just to order me to stay off my bed! :)