Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post-op

This is definitely going to be a journey! I advanced to soft food yesterday after my 1 week post-op appointment. It’s insane how SLOW you have to eat. I never thought eating would be a chore. However, I’m grateful because I’ve had absolutely no nausea or vomiting. I did the liquid diet for 7 days prior to surgery, so in 2 weeks I’ve lost 14 lbs. I kind of wished for more, but my doctor says the next month is where I’m going to see a big drop. I don’t think I’ve worked up to 64 ounces yet, still trying. I need to incorporate more activity but my right side still gives me a fit so my walks around the block have been at snails pace. If anyone out there who wants to share their experiences, I could use someone can relate.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! :) I'm a little over two weeks out and have realized too that I need to slow my expectations down quite a bit. lol. I lost 7 pounds in the first week and have been stalled ever since. Made me realize very quickly that my body was going decide how it lost weight. I can't control that, only what I put in my mouth and what I do for exercise. :) I'm getting my Water and Protein goals in, and am on pureed foods for 2 more weeks. Right now I'm focusing on following the doctor's orders and letting my body heal.

Congratulations on your surgery. I wrote a short article about my experience. I had RNY gastric bypass whereas you had the sleeve. But many of my experiences and observations apply. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Sounds like your plan moves to soft foods really quickly. Many wait weeks or months. That is part of why you need to eat so slow. You'll always want to eat slow, but it'll improve a bit as things heal. Every day will get a little better. If you try a food and it just doesn't work, don't worry and try it again in a week or two.

The same goes for healing. It'll get a little better every day, just take it easy. Move around to your comfort level and know that it'll almost certainly feel much better in a week or two. While the incisions are small it's still a major surgery and they muck around a lot in your abdomen, so it's going to hurt for a while.

Sounds like your plan moves to soft foods really quickly. Many wait weeks or months. That is part of why you need to eat so slow. You'll always want to eat slow, but it'll improve a bit as things heal. Every day will get a little better. If you try a food and it just doesn't work, don't worry and try it again in a week or two.
The same goes for healing. It'll get a little better every day, just take it easy. Move around to your comfort level and know that it'll almost certainly feel much better in a week or two. While the incisions are small it's still a major surgery and they muck around a lot in your abdomen, so it's going to hurt for a while.

Thanks for the tips. My physician advances you 1 week post op but you remain on soft foods for about 6 weeks. I am still mostly doing liquids. I’m using a timer when I eat. And the Baritastic app has timers for 20 minute chews.
I never feel hungry, and my abdomen feels full so it’s kind of hard just eating for what I feel like is no good reason.

Congrats on your surgery LJ! And congrats on not pukin'!!!

LJ I'm storing all this wisdom up for when I ( and my Bariatric Friend Forever Fluffy Chix) have surgery. I'm March and shes April unless a miracle happens and they relent and let her be in my month. Maybe I'll invest in a timer and a weight scale along with the Ninja blender I'm planning to get so I can make my own smoothies. I'm proud of all your strides and hope,i'll do,as well.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

LJ I'm storing all this wisdom up for when I ( and my Bariatric Friend Forever Fluffy Chix) have surgery. I'm March and shes April unless a miracle happens and they relent and let her be in my month. Maybe I'll invest in a timer and a weight scale along with the Ninja blender I'm planning to get so I can make my own smoothies. I'm proud of all your strides and hope,i'll do,as well.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the well wishes. This has been a definite life changer. Everything is so new. I have a lot of apprehension about being able to adjust to this new lifestyle. I highly recommend a food scale that measures in ounces and grams. Measuring our food is a must. My doctor sends you home with a stack of medicine cups so that you adjust to drinking no more than 1 ounce every 10 minutes. You can also use the cups to eat your soft foods out of. Never did I think I would be eating such a little amount. I’m excited for you, if you have any pre-op questions or tips on what to bring to the hospital let me know!

Sounds like you are off to a great start! [emoji4] I'm a little over two weeks out and have realized too that I need to slow my expectations down quite a bit. lol. I lost 7 pounds in the first week and have been stalled ever since. Made me realize very quickly that my body was going decide how it lost weight. I can't control that, only what I put in my mouth and what I do for exercise. [emoji4] I'm getting my Water and Protein goals in, and am on pureed foods for 2 more weeks. Right now I'm focusing on following the doctor's orders and letting my body heal.

7 lbs the first week is awesome. Are you measuring yourself too? Sometimes inch loss can be more of a victory than the numbers on the scale. I’m with you on slowing your expectations, as I feel like I have to do the same. I have a friend that has basically lost a pound a day since his surgery, so 3.5 months in he has lost over 100 lbs. i see results like that and tend to feel pressure, but it’s a marathon not a sprint. And I hear losing slowly helps prevent excess loose skin. How far are you post-op?

Sounds like you're off to a great start and doing all the right things. For food scales they actually make pretty slim ones that you can bring into the office, car or wherever you might want to weigh something. I think I've got about 4 of them in various places so I can always measure things!

Even though they don't recommend it, I find myself often doing other things while I'm eating. It takes so long to eat that it's easy to get bored and if I get bored I will eat too fast. I end up taking a bite, putting down my baby fork and then chewing 25 times while I read the news on my phone, answer an email or whatever. Then I take another bite and repeat. it's not mindless eating (while I'm taking that bite I'm focused), but it is slow and methodical!