Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Tuesday. Any suggestions?

Hello all. I have an idea of what to bring to the hospital and to have after my rny on Tuesday.

Any tips of what I may not of thought of would be helpful.

Thanks. You have all been so supportive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

If you have a struggle getting IVs after not having fluids for a while ask for a “power glide”. I wish i knew that up front. They tired twice to get a line in & on the third time told me about a power glide. The got the power glide done in one try.

Be ready to roll with the punches. I had some blood in my lower GI after my surgery. I felt perfectly fine, but I spent an extra week crapping pure blood. Which leads me to: leave your shame, self-consciousness, & embarrassment at home. You are going to be farting, possibly catheterized (I wasn’t), & mostly half naked the entire time you are in the hospital.

its all worth it in the long run. I’m a T1D & had my RNY on 11/20. I’ve lost 40lbs (even with a two week weight stall) plus my diabetes is in the best shape it’s ever been!

40 minutes ago, MBNC88 said:

If you have a struggle getting IVs after not having fluids for a while ask for a “power glide”. I wish i knew that up front. They tired twice to get a line in & on the third time told me about a power glide. The got the power glide done in one try.

Be ready to roll with the punches. I had some blood in my lower GI after my surgery. I felt perfectly fine, but I spent an extra week crapping pure blood. Which leads me to: leave your shame, self-consciousness, & embarrassment at home. You are going to be farting, possibly catheterized (I wasn’t), & mostly half naked the entire time you are in the hospital.

its all worth it in the long run. I’m a T1D & had my RNY on 11/20. I’ve lost 40lbs (even with a two week weight stall) plus my diabetes is in the best shape it’s ever been!

Ok 'splain the power glide please? :D Sounds like a crazy dance step! They can only use one arm, and then they have to use my ankles feet cuz of cancer on left side. My veins are shot from the chemo and are as small as a 4 year old girl's! :(

Don't know what a power glide is either Fluffy but don't it sound groovy? My veins are bigger than yours(what a thing to boast about) but they roll, one time they used an airplane needle on me. Do you know what they are,? if you're curious I can tell you. Clue: they use them to start ivs in scalp veins on babies. Got a flat plate that lays against the skin, helps keep them from popping out. See I know boucoup things!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Nancy any update on what your doctor and staff said? I know you were in knots the other day, did everything work out? See you're saying Tuesday, so you must be moving ahead. So so happy for you, I know you have been wanting this so much. Hugs!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile

THANKS. My potassium was up and had to get pcp to tell surgeon it was no problem.

Did all my echo and stress test yesterday and hope it gets to surgeon before the surgery on Tuesday morning.

I will believe it when I wake up and they say yes you had the rny lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using
BariatricPal mobile app

Lol. Great reply. I will remember the power glide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok 'splain the power glide please? :D Sounds like a crazy dance step! They can only use one arm, and then they have to use my ankles feet cuz of cancer on left side. My veins are shot from the chemo and are as small as a 4 year old girl's! :(

A “power glide” is an IV put into your upper arm. It goes in to your triceps area. They use an injector & ultrasound to put it in correctly. They big trade off is: it’s much longer than a standard IV cannula. It’s definitely scary to look at, but it doesn’t hurt any more than a regular IV. If your veins are hard to work with when you are dehydrated, like mine, then this is the best option to go with.