Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Only 2 Week Diet - Help

I’m on day 3 of this Opti Fast HP 800 calorie/day diet. I’m only allowed Water, sugar free Jello, sugar free popcicle, Decaf coffee, decaf tea and clear broth. No food whatsoever!! I’m hungry and I’m struggling. I’ve lost a measly 1 pound so far for this sacrifice to date. I understand different people have different diets required of them so I’m hoping to hear from people who experienced my actual type of diet for comparison.

How does one last to day 14? Tips to help me get through the next 11 days?

How much weight did you lose in your 14 day liquid only diet?

First weigh-in at diet consult: 214

Current weight: 202

Edited by VSG-Gal

Girl, that is terrible

Every doctor is different. Every diet is different

The whole point of the diet preop is to A. prepare you for a healthier lifestyle but mainly to shrink your live and avoid complications.

With my 2 week preop diet, we could drink chicken broth, sugar free jellow and sugar free popcycles. All different kinds of sugar free low calorie drinks, wylers, diet snapple, poweraid zero etc.. Let's see, oh yea, and if we only elected to have 2 Protein Drinks ( I didn't want three of those things, not a fan of Protein drinks ) we could elect to have one small meal (4 ounces of chicken, fish etc etc) one small vegetable, and one small fat, like 1 teashpon of light ranch dressing etc..

We could have coffee, but no flavored Creamer

There were guidlines but girl, that one meal a day got me through and that was HARD enough

I am so sorry

Thank you TooManyTacos ;)

:( So far, I’ve been having the required 4 powder packets of Optifast (200 calories each) a day that totals just 800 calories, plus two cups of broth and one sugar free Jello. The Protein Shakes are horrible, too sweet and too chalky tasting. My stomach has been grumbling since yesterday. From what I read on the internet, most people say on the 3-4th day, the hunger goes away. As hungry as I’m feeling now I’m doubting that will happen by tomorrow

Edited by VSG-Gal

8 minutes ago, VSG-Gal said:

From what I read on the internet, most people say on the 3-4th day, the hunger goes away.

Can I please counsel you to stop to think?

Isn't a short term "pain" (a couple of weeks of not-so-perfect Protein Shakes to shrink your liver for surgery) preferable to the years you've spent OBESE (or morbidly obese)?

Are you not prepared to make 14-15 days of sacrifice for a future lifestyle of better living at a much healthier weight?

- - -

I was not thrilled about my Optifast days either.

I look where I am now with 33 kilograms (73 pounds) off my 2017 body.

Yes ... those Optifast days were but a "BLIP" in time.

- - -

Not everything in your life has to be sugar sweet and of perfect taste.

I can get through awful tasting shakes but it’s the hunger that I’m having a hard time coping with! I’d rather deal with other types of physical pain than hunger.

2 minutes ago, VSG-Gal said:

I can get through awful tasting shakes but it’s the hunger that I’m having a hard time coping with! I’d rather deal with other types of physical pain than hunger.

Keep sipping Water. Try Decaf coffee or tea. Use sugar-free jellies (jellos).

Keep fairly well-saturated.

Your mind needs to support the feeling of: "THIS IS SHORT TERM PAIN. I AM HEADING FOR A LIFELONG BETTER FUTURE."

I'm on day five of my liquid pre op! The first three days were the hardest. My stomach is still a bit tumbly & I feel hungry often. But the craving are finally gone. Every time that I start to feel not so great, I drink Water & it literally evens me out. This is honestly easier than I imagined! Best of luck to you

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, bignich said:

Every time that I start to feel not so great, I drink Water & it literally evens me out.

A well-worn piece of advice.

Water can often fill a hunger void for a while or defer your bad choices.

7 hours ago, VSG-Gal said:

From what I read on the internet, most people say on the 3-4th day, the hunger goes away. As hungry as I’m feeling now I’m doubting that will happen by tomorrow

It never really goes away per se but you do get over a hump where you just kind of come to terms with it and accept it. This is the time when we experience true hunger and should hopefully be a wake-up call to how fooled we get by head hunger when we're eating. Even now head hunger is something I still battle and always will.

My NUT always suggested that when you start dwelling on it get up and do something for 5-10 minutes to get your mind off of it. Go for a walk, read a book, do some sort of hobby activity, etc. Anything to get your find focused on something else.

There are some really good Protein Shakes out there. I know it sucks when you can't even enjoy your shakes. I used Unjury while I was on my 2 week diet and loved those (still do).

Drink alot of hot tea actually helps because it takes me awhile to drink it. And distractions also help keep busy!!

Honestly I would find a new Protein Shake just because that's the bulk of your liquid meals I feel like it' important that they are decent tasting.

Edited by Prevanwarrior

Wish I could change shakes but I can’t. It’s part of the program my doctor preselected and i already paid for, $290 for two week supply of Optifast, and for post op, Multivitamin and calcium chews.

But i will try drinking more, water/decaf coffee/decaf tea. Going for a walk is kinda tough right now, being that it’s cold and wet outside where I’m at. I’ll think of some other household chores to keep my mind off. Thank you for all the suggestions! 10 more days :/

You can do this. One day at a time. My doc will let me add psyllium husks to one or two of the shakes. It fills me up longer.