Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like a failure

So it's been a long time since I've sought support here. Pre-op I lived on this site. But it was almost as if I lost my "home base" after surgery. I had my sleeve done in March 2015. I lost a total of about 150lbs...which I know is great. I' a completely different person now. But for the life of me, I can' get below 200lbs. The lowest I've EVER been was 202lbs and that was 2 hours a day at the gym and on a mostly liquid diet. I' currently between 215-220 and I'm less than pleased. I want ONEDERLAND! I' frustrated to the point I'm considering revision. Anyone out there have any thoughts, suggestions, words of encouragement?? Kinda reaching a breaking point of it doesn't matter what I eat or do...I'm a wls failure.

Firstly - dang! 120lbs is STUNNING so you are no failure. You are a walking bloody miracle!

One idea to kick start - go right back to your op days. Mimic your post op diet month. No cheating, just sheer hard work... without the pain, and being able to exercise Just an idea! My surgeon calls it a pouch trainer, or a sleeve trainer. Gets good results...

I absolutely understand your frustration. It’s hard to come so far and not quite get there! I don’t agree that you’re a failure though. I know you feel like it, because you said so, and I think if I were in your shoes I would need more compassion...from myself. Self-compassion. It’s not giving yourself a break, but rather accepting that what you’re going through is hard and providing yourself mental support as you would a friend going through a tough time. I don’t mean to say that self-compassion is going to fix this, because it won’t, but it might help you turn your thinking around from failure to success in progress. Having a more positive outlook, at least for me, helps me get to my goals.

Now, tangible suggestions. I agree with the above, or something like it. Go back to Protein Shakes, barely any carbs, make sure you’re getting your fluids. Just for a week or two to jump start things, then slowly start incorporating regular food again, avoiding carbs (assuming you aren’t already doing this). As a fellow WLS patient anticipating frustrating stalls that’s what I’d do. If that doesn’t work, I’d see my doc. Or maybe phone them first just to check and see what they recommend. (That’s kind of the default answer, I know, sorry.)

Either way, I wish you kindness towards yourself and the best in your continued weight loss efforts. You’ve come so far, you can make it where you want to be!

Edited by EagerPenguin
Typo