Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm two days short of my 3 week band to sleeve anniversary.

Ok - so before anyone starts on the safety issues they think there may be with what I'm about to say: I had my post-op appointment a week ago - at said appointment, I was already progressing into pureed foods pretty well. I asked my surgeon about continuing through the progression of foods - I asked if I were to progress faster than the foods of the week, could I seriously hurt myself. His response was, as long as I don't make myself throw up, nothing (within reason, obviously) I put in my stomach will hurt the staple line by this point. Yes, even a little bit of red wine is ok...

Anyway - with that being said, I ate all of a 6oz filet of sole tonight for dinner. The fish market had fresh dab sole in today, and I got the smallest one, because I love sole. I did a quick saute in a carbon steel pan with cultured butter, minced shallots, and lemon zest. Very soft with a crispy crust...yum.

I ate slowly, chewed well, paused between bites. Didn't get nauseous, no pain, no discomfort. I was absolutely full at the end, but not uncomfortably so.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this level or pace of progression to full Protein servings? I've seen some other posts surmising their surgeon had left too much of their stomach, etc. I trust my guy, so I don't think that's it.

Between my pre-op diet and the three weeks of liquids/squishy ****, I was damn glad to be able to enjoy that piece of fish - but I'm a little concerned at the volume I'm able to eat so quickly.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!

I’m also on puréed foods and currently starving after eating a can of baby food turkey about 2 hours ago. I think you should ask yourself if that would have filled you up pre-surgery, and if the answer is “hell no,” then you’re still ahead of the game.

Thanks - I was sleeved on 12/18, so we're kinda surgery buddies I guess. You're absolutely right - maybe three of those filets would have been enough, even with the band...

As for baby food turkey - how is it? I did pureed Beans and mashed up avocado for pureed - stayed away from meats.

Also, what's it like being the sausage king of Chicago?

I’m at puréed stage, too. I think 6 oz. if you’re really hungry is ok. As long as you trust your surgeon and you don’t get too full. Who knows? You may stay really full for a while. Let me know how it goes!

I'm two hours out - not full anymore, but definitely not hungry. Well, ok, not starving...

I've got some salmon I'm going to sous vide tomorrow night - hopefully that goes as well. I'm digging being able to eat solid food again!

2 minutes ago, timarland said:

Thanks - I was sleeved on 12/18, so we're kinda surgery buddies I guess. You're absolutely right - maybe three of those filets would have been enough, even with the band...

As for baby food turkey - how is it? I did pureed Beans and mashed up avocado for pureed - stayed away from meats.

Also, what's it like being the sausage king of Chicago?

Ha! Finely shredded, unseasoned meat is the best way to describe it. It’s packed in gravy so it’s not too bad. I like the chicken and the turkey, the beef isn’t really doing it for me. I even eat it at room temperature. It’s Beech-Nut brand.

Frankly, I think I’d prefer puréed meat to puréed anything else, Beans or eggs.

Just now, abefroman329 said:

Ha! Finely shredded, unseasoned meat is the best way to describe it. It’s packed in gravy so it’s not too bad. I like the chicken and the turkey, the beef isn’t really doing it for me. I even eat it at room temperature. It’s Beech-Nut brand.

Frankly, I think I’d prefer puréed meat to puréed anything else, Beans or eggs.

Interesting - I seasoned the Beans (pinto) so they were like runny refried beans - not the best consistency, but taste was amazing.

My nutrition people (not very good in my opinion) suggested pureeing eggs too - I skipped that and made sous vide egg bites - custardy and amazing (and better than sbux IMHO) - they went down fine last week.

23 minutes ago, timarland said:

Interesting - I seasoned the Beans (pinto) so they were like runny refried Beans - not the best consistency, but taste was amazing.

My nutrition people (not very good in my opinion) suggested pureeing eggs too - I skipped that and made sous vide egg bites - custardy and amazing (and better than sbux IMHO) - they went down fine last week.

I’m technically on “very soft foods” now, which includes non-puréed scrambled eggs, fortunately. I ran the numbers and I should only need to do one Protein Shake per day, I can get the rest of the necessary Protein from yogurt, string cheese, baby food meat, and milk.

I am 13 months post sleeve. I can only eat 3 oz max Protein and a few bites of veggies at one sitting.

In my opinion, 6 oz at your stage (only 3 weeks out) is way too much food. I remember receiving a workbook at my pre-op workshop, and it said we should shoot for 2 oz in the first month.

It is important to take your time eating as well. I don't personally like to feel "full". I pay very close attention to when I am satisfied .

You are still in the beginning stages, and you can easily be overeating without knowing it. Fish tends to go down easier than say a piece of red meat.

Edited by mylighthouse

46 minutes ago, abefroman329 said:

I’m also on puréed foods and currently starving after eating a can of baby food turkey about 2 hours ago. I think you should ask yourself if that would have filled you up pre-surgery, and if the answer is “hell no,” then you’re still ahead of the game.

Hey, Abe

Question

I am blown away.. and pissed Lol

Did you lose taht weight since your surgery date of Dec 20. Or was that your weight at the beginning of your preop

I am soo blown out of the Water. I am stalled for over a week now. And honestly, I think I can eat more than I should be able to.

I have only been having one Protein Drink the last couple of days. Because during pureed stage, you can have just 1 Protein drink, if you get in your protein through food as well. I am wonderin if that is wher eI've screwed up..

But the truth is. Protein Drinks are expensive and, I don't want to have to depend on that for the rest of my life in order to lose. What purpose of the surgery was there.

Lol

How much were you on surgery date

1 hour ago, timarland said:

I'm two days short of my 3 week band to sleeve anniversary.

Ok - so before anyone starts on the safety issues they think there may be with what I'm about to say: I had my post-op appointment a week ago - at said appointment, I was already progressing into pureed foods pretty well. I asked my surgeon about continuing through the progression of foods - I asked if I were to progress faster than the foods of the week, could I seriously hurt myself. His response was, as long as I don't make myself throw up, nothing (within reason, obviously) I put in my stomach will hurt the staple line by this point. Yes, even a little bit of red wine is ok...

Anyway - with that being said, I ate all of a 6oz filet of sole tonight for dinner. The fish market had fresh dab sole in today, and I got the smallest one, because I love sole. I did a quick saute in a carbon steel pan with cultured butter, minced shallots, and lemon zest. Very soft with a crispy crust...yum.

I ate slowly, chewed well, paused between bites. Didn't get nauseous, no pain, no discomfort. I was absolutely full at the end, but not uncomfortably so.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this level or pace of progression to full Protein servings? I've seen some other posts surmising their surgeon had left too much of their stomach, etc. I trust my guy, so I don't think that's it.

Between my pre-op diet and the three weeks of liquids/squishy ****, I was damn glad to be able to enjoy that piece of fish - but I'm a little concerned at the volume I'm able to eat so quickly.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, mylighthouse said:

I am 13 months post sleeve. I can only eat 3 oz max Protein and a few bites of veggies at one sitting.

In my opinion, 6 oz at your stage (only 3 weeks out) is way too much food. I remember receiving a workbook at my pre-op workshop, and it said we should shoot for 2 oz in the first month.

It is important to take your time eating as well. I don't personally like to feel "full". I pay very close attention to when I am satisfied .

You are still in the beginning stages, and you can easily be overeating without knowing it. Fish tends to go down easier than say a piece of red meat.

9 minutes ago, mylighthouse said:

Hi. What was your weight on day of surgery, may I ask.

How long was your preop diet?

When you put your starting weight? When was taht starting weight date?

Hey, Abe
Question
I am blown away.. and pissed Lol
Did you lose taht weight since your surgery date of Dec 20. Or was that your weight at the beginning of your preop
I am soo blown out of the Water. I am stalled for over a week now. And honestly, I think I can eat more than I should be able to.
I have only been having one Protein drink the last couple of days. Because during pureed stage, you can have just 1 protein drink, if you get in your protein through food as well. I am wonderin if that is wher eI've screwed up..
But the truth is. protein drinks are expensive and, I don't want to have to depend on that for the rest of my life in order to lose. What purpose of the surgery was there.
Lol
How much were you on surgery date

You can do a Protein Shake with Peanut Butter powder, little banana, plain yougurt, ice ,water maybe little spinach and get quite a bit of protein without all the processed stuff that comes with them and save some money.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, boatnam1 said:

You can do a Protein Shake with Peanut Butter powder, little banana, plain yougurt, ice ,water maybe little spinach and get quite a bit of Protein without all the processed stuff that comes with them and save some money.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Peanut Butter powder is awesome - low fat, not a **** ton of calories, some Fiber, and protein. I like it a lot.

13 minutes ago, Toomanytacos said:

Hi. What was your weight on day of surgery, may I ask.

How long was your preop diet?

When you put your starting weight? When was taht starting weight date?

Wow, lots of questions. Lol

312 lbs day of surgery. I always use that as my starting date.

Pre-op diet was for 2 weeks. Was 324 lbs when I went on the pre-op diet.

Currently at 194 lbs, need to lose 19 lbs more to hit my surgeon's goal weight.