Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess skin

Fellas,

I’m scheduled for surgery 1/3/18 I’m having the sleeve. I’m 35 years old and 6’5” around 363 but I’m really concerned about excess skin after. It’s to the point I’m reconsidering my decision to go forward with the surgery. I really need this surgery due to some health issues but the excess skin issue is really starting to deter me. Any advice?

I worried about excessive skin (and hairloss) excessively before I had surgery. All I can say is, I would take my excess skin any day over weighing 373 lbs again. ANY DAY! In retrospect, I can't even believe I used to worry about that - life is SO MUCH better being normal weight, loose skin or not!

p.s. If it turns out to bother you a lot, there's always plastic surgery. Mine is less than I thought it would be, and it's very easy to hide. The only people who know it's there are me, my husband, and my doctor.

Excess skin is a badge of honor, IMHO. It signifies that you valiantly fought the battle of the bulge and conquered your weight problem.

I'm going to be brutally honest here...I know we're not doing this for looks, right? Loose skin may look unsightly, but most morbidly obese 363-pound bodies don't look particularly good or healthy.

Good luck to you.

3 hours ago, bigcat152 said:

Fellas,

I’m scheduled for surgery 1/3/18 I’m having the sleeve. I’m 35 years old and 6’5” around 363 but I’m really concerned about excess skin after. It’s to the point I’m reconsidering my decision to go forward with the surgery. I really need this surgery due to some health issues but the excess skin issue is really starting to deter me. Any advice?

Sorry, I see that this is in the guy's room. Hope you don't mind if I post.

loose skin seems to be a fear for many people.

I get it, loose skin issue is an unknown outcome of surgery. You will not know what your skin will look like until you hit goal.

Some insurance companies will assist in plastics if you have rashes or mobility issues. Plastics are expensive.

Some of the men have been courageous enough to post photos of their plastics...See below

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/395422-male-plastics/?tab=comments#comment-4448300

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/405911-plastics-or-no-plastics/?tab=comments#comment-4556298

I worried about excessive skin (and hairloss) excessively before I had surgery. All I can say is, I would take my excess skin any day over weighing 373 lbs again. ANY DAY! In retrospect, I can't even believe I used to worry about that - life is SO MUCH better being normal weight, loose skin or not!

What about your hair? Is it growing back? That’s one of my biggest concerns. I’m taking a lot of Biotin. Surgery tomorrow!

3 hours ago, MissSimpson said:

What about your hair? Is it growing back? That’s one of my biggest concerns. I’m taking a lot of Biotin. Surgery tomorrow!

I lost very little. There are some people who lose noticeable amounts of hair, but most people just shed for awhile, and they're the only ones who really notice it. And yes - it grows back.

all these helpful male opinions makes me glad there's a Guys Room conference, where men can get together and talk amongst themselves about issues that concern them.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyCakes said:

all these helpful male opinions makes me glad there's a Guys Room conference, where men can get together and talk amongst themselves about issues that concern them.

the threads show up on the margin on the right side of the screen - it's easy not to notice which conference it's coming from

BTW - sorry for the intrusion! I just didn't notice the source

Edited by catwoman7

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

the threads show up on the margin on the right side of the screen - it's easy not to notice which conference it's coming from.

i've heard this excuse before.

it's interesting... because us men don't seem to have this same confusion about posts in The powder Room. isn't that weird?

1 hour ago, JohnnyCakes said:

i've heard this excuse before.

it's interesting... because us men don't seem to have this same confusion about posts in The powder Room. isn't that weird?

to be honest, I never go into the individual forums. Otherwise I'd be on here all day. I just check for new threads on the right side of the screen. I didn't even know there was a powder room forum!

P.S. I'm pretty sure you can make forums private if it's a concern - check with Alex on how to do it or set one up.

Edited by catwoman7

24 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

P.S. I'm pretty sure you can make forums private if it's a concern - check with Alex on how to do it or set one up.

that’s certainly one option.

an even easier option would be for ladies on this website to be courteous and respectful and stop posting in The Guys Room. that would def work too. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

On 12/27/2017 at 9:22 AM, bigcat152 said:

Fellas,

Oh man! You're still quite young. Don't let excess skin dissuade you. You could be in my shoes with Type 2 Diabetes, sleep apnea, AND high blood pressure. I wish I had thought about bariatric surgery 5 years ago. I am 40 now and just grateful for the opportunity.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:22 AM, bigcat152 said:

Fellas,

As someone that is 6'5 and when I started this process well above the 450lb mark I can say that the skin issue while it maybe minimal for you isn't as big of an issue as the stuff you will face being obese. I have it and the skin hasn't stopped me from doing the things that I needed to do or being happy. It hasn't stopped me from having meaningful relationships with people, or hindered me from working out. The skin at best is a mental thing. A reminder from where I've come from and sometimes, no a lot of times a reminder of what I did to myself.

DO NOT LET THE SKIN SCARE YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO GET HEALTHY! Don't let that be the deterring factor.

Excess skin looks like its going to be only a minor problem. I'm down about 90 pounds from my max with about 40 or 45 pounds to go. I have a little loose skin around my elbows, neck, and lower belly. I'll probably have my neck lifted in about two years (i.e after everything has stabilized). I'm starting to save for that.

Regardless I look a lot better than I did at over 300 pounds.

Edited by CalGuy64