Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lower bmi and gastic sleeve

looking at getting sleeved in march 2018, i have to have 3 nutritionist visits did the first one today i am looking for other lower bmi people im right at the cut off of 35 with 1co morbidity of HTN I had the gastric balloon and that was a waist of time and money yes i lost 20 lbs but that was in the first month after placement. i really wanted to do gastric sleeve instead of the the balloon but my husband wasn't to happy about that decision he is in the medical field and doesn't think i need gastric sleeve but its hard to lose and keep off at any weight. and i am so sick and tired of always being on a damn diet. so anyone who had or is gonna have VSG with a lower bmi lets chat.

My BMI was 37 at the time I qualified for the sleeve. I was 5'1" and 199.7 pounds...

To keep a long story short, I gained a whopping 25 pounds over 6 months while awaiting surgery. I got up to 225 pounds. After losing 7 pounds on the pre-op diet, I weighed 218 on surgery day.

With the sleeve I lost 100 pounds over 18 months, going from 218 to 118 lbs.

I had my sleeve with a bmi right at 35. It was the best decision of MY LIFE. I regret nothing. I was sleeved at the end of august and am d0wn 60lbs, and my bmi is now 26. I am almost in the normal range for my height. I would say go for it. Both of my parents are doctors and believed the sleeve was the right decision for me. Do your apts and start your new life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

27 minutes ago, Introversion said:

My BMI was 37 at the time I qualified for the sleeve. I was 5'1" and 199.7 pounds...

To keep a long story short, I gained a whopping 25 pounds over 6 months while awaiting surgery. I got up to 225 pounds. After losing 7 pounds on the pre-op diet, I weighed 218 on surgery day.

With the sleeve I lost 100 pounds over 18 months, going from 218 to 118 lbs.

awesome wt loss i only have to do 3 months with nut and 1 pyc visit so i am hoping for early march surgery date and iv been told to maintain my current wt

@Kat1969 So... "in the medical field" -- what does that mean? My PCP was a huge advocate for surgery -- I guess she has a lot of overweight, struggling patients that she's seen benefit from surgery. (She did warn me that she has a few that are not happy). Regarding the husband, you are gonna have to throw crazy research and data to convince him, unfortunately.

I'm a 37 myself, looking forward to less weight on the joints!

@Introversion I'm up 5# in 4 month -- ugh

Edited by Apple203

24 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

@Kat1969 So... "in the medical field" -- what does that mean? My PCP was a huge advocate for surgery -- I guess she has a lot of overweight, struggling patients that she's seen benefit from surgery. (She did warn me that she has a few that are not happy). Regarding the husband, you are gonna have to throw crazy research and data to convince him, unfortunately.

I'm a 37 myself, looking forward to less weight on the joints!

@Introversion I'm up 5# in 4 month -- ugh

my husband is an emergency medicine physician assistant and was a primary care PAC before that and had seen so many bad out comes from gastric bypass patients but he is willing to accept my decision since reading up on VGS.

Well, that means a lot, of course, but still, he sees the rare problems, right? What about sleevers? My husband is on the fence, but supportive, mom is the opposite. Its hard when people that matter aren't on board 100%.

Kat -- I assumed you were a sleever - can you explain why you are going for a GB instead? This is something many of us worry about.

Edited by Apple203

mainly problems with people who have surgery in mexico and since i was looking into mexico at first he was like NO WAY and so i talked to the surgeon who did my balloon and finding out that the requirements for our insurance company are not too bad he is more accepting of my decision.

Edited by Kat1969

17 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Well, that means a lot, of course, but still, he sees the rare problems, right? What about sleevers? My husband is on the fence, but supportive, mom is the opposite. Its hard when people that matter aren't on board 100%.

Kat -- I assumed you were a sleever - can you explain why you are going for a GB instead? This is something many of us worry about.

i had the balloon in may 2017 because my husband was against VSG at first but only lost 20 lbs . i will be having gastric sleeve hopefully in march 2018 the balloon was a total waste of time and money.

Edited by Kat1969

5’2 with a bmi of 32. I paid for my surgery at Mexico so I didn’t have to worry about the financial part of it but I was terrified of being rejecting for not having a bmi higher enough. When I went there, I saw other women who were whole lot less bigger than I was and no one even mentioned my bmi. I was just warned a lot not to gain more than what I have mentioned on my charts prior to surgery. But yeah, as someone else mentioned it here, I did contemplate eating to gain if it meant I would get approved. And listen, no one understands how difficult losing weight is for you other than yourself. I lost 50 pounds and everyone else says I was not big enough to have gone for this surgery but I know how those 50 pounds affected my life and what losing them has done for me. No one else will ever understand that.

I was a BMI of 38 at the time of surgery, I was a 41 when I went into the program and I was worried I wouldn't be approved as I had no co-morbidities but I was still accepted.

I will be 1 year post op on 12/30 and I've lost 113 pounds. I'm currently sitting at a BMI of 27 so almost in the normal range and about 15 pounds from goal. I'm currently bouncing up and down 3 pounds.