I can't WAIT to get my first fill!

4 posts in this topic

I'm two days away from being 4 week post-op on my band. My doc put me from liquids straight back to solids after 6 days. I haven't had one bit of problems with that - nothing seems to bother me or be uncomfortable. Well, I lie - I've had one incident where I was eating a hard-boiled egg and it felt like it got stuck. It was super painful, but quickly rectified with Water. Otherwise though, no nausea, no vomiting, no pain, etc. I've been good on my diet, as prescribed by my surgeon. No liquid calorie intake (only solids), only eating when hungry, no carbs (no rice, Pasta, bread or potatoes), and trying really hard not to drink while eating or immediately afterward. I am steadily losing.

My problem is that I don't feel like my band has offered me ANY benefit whatsoever so far - it's as though everything goes right through and I'm hungry again right away. I've been eating MUCH smaller meals than I used to - close to what I'm supposed to be with the band. But I don't get full - not a full sensation at all - I just stop because I should. I haven't had a fill yet - I'm not scheduled for a fill until Dec. 19th. That's about a month after my post-up check-up 6 days after surgery. The doc says that he doesn't tighten until a month after that first check-up; the stomach has too much healing to do still do throw that into the mix. I get that. But I'M STARVING!!! It's very difficult to make this large of a lifestyle change when the thing you did the surgery for (alleviating hunger) hasn't kicked in as a tool yet.

I realize that the tightening is right around the corner, and I'll have to just persevere until then. But it's very difficult!!! I just want to not be hungry!

Anyone else been in this position? Did it get massively better after the first tightening? Please give me hope that this tool is going to offer some benefit.

I wouldn't say that it has gotten massively better, but I see improvement. I haven't had that experience that some people describe where they have two bites of food and feel full, but I am eating normal size portions of food and not snacking throughout the day. It takes some time to find your green zone in terms of the fill, but little by little, you will start to see that you aren't taking in as much food.

I think that what I was expecting in terms of feeling full is the sort of full that I used to feel when I ate way too much food. Time with the band has sort of reprogrammed me to understand that full is simply eating enough to cover my caloric needs for the time being. I can have a tuna salad and some veggies and feel satisfied now.

I contacted my doctor yesterday after writing this blog, and told him what I feel I'm up against, and how healed I feel overall. He said he saw no reason to put off a fill - I'm going in tomorrow for one vs. waiting until Dec. 19th! I'm very glad I reached out to him.

I'm not really looking to feel FULL full - I'm just looking not to feel hungry and hour after eating. This will help, I'm sure. I'm ready.

I'm scared of the fill making it more difficult for what I sometimes feel when I'm eating too fast, or not chewing enough - that "stuck" feeling. However, I think I'll be okay if I slow down a bit and chew more. That'll be easier to do when I'm not eating as much. Or rather, not as starvingly-hungry.

I'm very excited for tomorrow afternoon! :)

On 11/30/2017 at 3:06 PM, raising3monkeys said:

I contacted my doctor yesterday after writing this blog, and told him what I feel I'm up against, and how healed I feel overall. He said he saw no reason to put off a fill - I'm going in tomorrow for one vs. waiting until Dec. 19th! I'm very glad I reached out to him.

I'm not really looking to feel FULL full - I'm just looking not to feel hungry and hour after eating. This will help, I'm sure. I'm ready.

I'm scared of the fill making it more difficult for what I sometimes feel when I'm eating too fast, or not chewing enough - that "stuck" feeling. However, I think I'll be okay if I slow down a bit and chew more. That'll be easier to do when I'm not eating as much. Or rather, not as starvingly-hungry.

I'm very excited for tomorrow afternoon! :)

How did your fill go? How are you doing?