Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For some reason, I'm so worried about getting a stricture and dysphagia (painful swallowing). I read a study that there are some risk factors linked to post-op dysphagia and some of these included GERD and hypothyroidism and I have both.

"As shown in Table Table2,2, there is increased prevalence of diabetes mellitus in those individuals who develop postoperative dysphagia compared to individuals with no dysphagia (P < 0.01). Patients with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux (P < 0.0001) show an increased risk toward the development of postoperative dysphagia. There is also a statistically significant relationship between postoperative dysphagia and low whole blood thiamine levels (P = 0.008), low thyroid blood test (P= 0.003), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use at 6 wk post-operatively (P = 0.018), and opioid narcotic use at 6 wk post-operatively (P = 0.05) as determined through stepwise logistic regression (summarized in Tables Tables22 and and3).3). No statistical correlation between age, gender, body mass index, abnormal Vitamin B12 level, abnormal folic acid level, or abnormal magnesium level and post-operative dysphagia is seen."

The study consisted of 352 patients up to 2 years post-op and 80 of those presented with dysphagia symptoms. 33 were found to have narrowing of the sleeve.

Just wondering if anyone had any research, experience, wisdom on the subject? I'm trying to put my mind at ease over it.

Edited by Lauren_jos19

For some reason, I'm so worried about getting a stricture and dysphagia (painful swallowing). I read a study that there are some risk factors linked to post-op dysphagia and some of these included GERD and hypothyroidism and I have both.
"As shown in Table Table2,2, there is increased prevalence of diabetes mellitus in those individuals who develop postoperative dysphagia compared to individuals with no dysphagia (P The study consisted of 352 patients up to 2 years post-op and 80 of those presented with dysphagia symptoms. 33 were found to have narrowing of the sleeve.
Just wondering if anyone had any research, experience, wisdom on the subject? I'm trying to put my mind at ease over it.

I have watched hundreds of videos by doctors and patients and haven’t heard of this outside of bites or gulps that are too large, except for one person. I know her personally. She had the Lapband, but she had swallowing issues her entire life. It got worse with the band, so the had to loosen it.

My mom had to have her esophagus stretched after getting a piece of steak caught in it recently. She has not had weight-loss surgery. The cause for her is being overweight, so I wonder if that might have been the precursor instead of the surgery.

That is an extremely small study with so many variables - you did not include all these. The majority had type II diabetes and that significantly affected the presence of the dysphagia, also they did not review the techniques these 3 surgeons used - which could also affect the outcome of the sleeve. And the significant use of anti-inflammatory meds and opioid pain killers - so like I said too many variables. And also patient compliance with following post-op instructions was not considered either.

You are 'buying' trouble by trying to find silimarities to yourself in inconclusive studies. You instead need to consult with your surgeon and ask about his/her statistics - how many complications and what kind, any strictures, any leaks, etc etc. There are very few significant complications with this surgery.

Good luck and chill out.

Correlation is not causation.

Edited by Sosewsue61

That is an extremely small study with so many variables - you did not include all these. The majority had type II diabetes and that significantly affected the presence of the dysphagia, also they did not review the techniques these 3 surgeons used - which could also affect the outcome of the sleeve. And the significant use of anti-inflammatory meds and opioid pain killers - so like I said too many variables. And also patient compliance with following post-op instructions was not considered either.
You are 'buying' trouble by trying to find silimarities to yourself in inconclusive studies. You instead need to consult with your surgeon and ask about his/her statistics - how many complications and what kind, any strictures, any leaks, etc etc. There are very few significant complications with this surgery.
Good luck and chill out.

Good advice.

3 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Good luck and chill out.

Thank you @Sosewsue61, I actually think I needed that little kick in the butt. I need to stop obsessing over what can go wrong and start being excited about what can go right! With surgery 2 days away, my anxiety is just really getting the best of me. In life there are times where one has to just take a leap of faith... I think this is one of those times for me.

We all get that anxiety, it's normal just don't let it become a runaway train. Good luck!! See you on the sleeve side soon.