Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I was just diagnosed with this yesterday.....I've been having some serious aches and pains in my hips, knees and shoulders that I thought was just weight related.....

Turns out I have an autoimmune disease called Polymyalgia Rheumatica. It's a form of arthritis. Treatment is prednisone. I had an intermuscular injection yesterday to start working on the inflammation. Not a fan at all of prednisone. It can and does increase hunger and can cause swelling and weight gain. Yay! I sort of had a feeling that something wasn't right but I didn't think is was something like this.

My Rheumatologist (yes, I have one of those now) says I need to postpone my surgery until we can get this in remission. I cried all night. I have come so far, listened to people say I was taking the easy way out, have had very little support from my family but I continued on the journey to get healthy. Now my own body is fighting against me and telling me I can't have the surgery........

3 hours ago, tahoegirl96118 said:

Well, I was just diagnosed with this yesterday.....I've been having some serious aches and pains in my hips, knees and shoulders that I thought was just weight related.....

Turns out I have an autoimmune disease called Polymyalgia Rheumatica. It's a form of arthritis. Treatment is prednisone. I had an intermuscular injection yesterday to start working on the inflammation. Not a fan at all of prednisone. It can and does increase hunger and can cause swelling and weight gain. Yay! I sort of had a feeling that something wasn't right but I didn't think is was something like this.

My Rheumatologist (yes, I have one of those now) says I need to postpone my surgery until we can get this in remission. I cried all night. I have come so far, listened to people say I was taking the easy way out, have had very little support from my family but I continued on the journey to get healthy. Now my own body is fighting against me and telling me I can't have the surgery........

I am so sorry. My mother was diagnosed with this about 2 years ago. It took nearly a year for a diagnosis and she was in a lot of pain in he meantime. She is a very active woman and it really took her down. Prednisone is the only treatment and that is a bummer because it will lower your immune system. But, the main thing to long term pain free living is losing weight! My mom felt well enough after getting on the prednisone to up her exercise regimens and didn't gain. They finally took her off of the meds after 2 years and she took about 25 pounds off and feels great now with no steroids. Did you ask your doctor if you could postpone the steroid treatment until after the surgery? The weight loss will help you tremendously- just as much as the steroids. (My mom is a tiny tiny woman so he didn't deal with both issues).

Because I'm in an "active" flare up she would like me to wait a while for the surgery. Her reasoning is that my body is fighting my body and that could make for a difficult surgery and recovery. I've messaged my surgeon for his thoughts and waiting to hear back from him. Part of the problem with Prednisone is that it's really hard on the stomach, which is why we are doing the injections to start.

This kinda falls under the category of when life gives you lemons........

Well I hope you get it under control quickly! Good luck!

My surgeon got back to me and I am definitely in a holding patern for at least a year. He said that the risk of complications is too high for me to have surgery.

I'm heart broken.

57 minutes ago, tahoegirl96118 said:

My surgeon got back to me and I am definitely in a holding patern for at least a year. He said that the risk of complications is too high for me to have surgery.

I'm heart broken.

I'm so sorry. You do need to be on top of your game for this surgery (speaking from the other side of it). Hugs to you and wishes for a speedy remission.