Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Acid reflux resolve itself?

I am 3 weeks out and I was put on a reflux medicine after 1 week post op. I was wondering if anyone has experienced reflux in the early months of getting sleeved and it went away after a few months? My reflux isn't bad but I know it's there. I often feel like I have something stuck in my throat and I attempt to burp to get it out but doesn't work i was just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced this and it resolved itself.

I'm almost one year out and my reflux is terrible. Some nights it wakes me up....my surgeon would not put me on reflux medicine.. he gave me two options..eat smaller amounts and eat earlier.. or gastric bypass. I'm taking tums though to help on days that are worst than others.. funny thing is...I never experienced reflux before the surgery even though I had a hiatel hernia.. I guess it's something I will deal with..if it ever goes away...I'd be a happy girl!

I'm over 1 year post op.

And yes it hit me like a brick at first but yes it does ease and eventually go away .

I was prescribed lansaprazole and took it regulary .

But like anything if you eat to much. Eat not often enough. Or consume too many acid trigger foods you can still get acid, if you are someone who is prone to it.

The best thing to do is keep a diary. Educate yourself about GORD. Try to isolate what causes your acid. In my case it's simply fatty foods high sugar carbs. So eliminating those and keeping them as occasional treats only helps by keeping me acid free. And maintains my weight loss.

Wishing you the best xox

Edited by mohairbears

probably a life long need. Our stomachs are now a different shape and that shape leads to acid reflux.

I was reluctant to respond because I don't think my experience is typical or common, but since I just went through this whole thing I figure I might as well share. I had sleeve surgery three years ago and developed really bad acid reflux afterwards (didn't have it before). Many people's stomachs adjust after surgery and start producing less acid, but mine didn't and it led to lots of unpleasant symptoms including vomiting. I ended up revising my sleeve to gastric bypass two weeks ago, and besides the usual recovery woes I am much happier now. I don't think such drastic measures are usually necessary, but I tried everything for a couple of years before finally deciding it was the right choice for me. There are lots of medications, diet changes, etc. that can help, so hang in there and see what happens as you move further away from surgery. Almost everyone has it in the early stages! Good luck!

I feel like I should weigh in, since my experience has been the opposite of most others who have posted. Prior to being sleeved in April, I had horrible reflux. If I forgot to take my Nexium, I was miserable, and sometimes would wake up in the middle of the night choking on acid. (My surgeon did recommend bypass, but was fine with my choice of sleeve.)

I was prescribed omeprazole to take for two months (it might have been three) post-op, which I did, but I have rarely needed it since. I still have occasional heartburn, but nothing like what I had before surgery.

I realize that I'm one of the lucky ones! I just wanted you to hear from someone who had a good experience.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:23 PM, kyboo1972 said:

I'm almost one year out and my reflux is terrible. Some nights it wakes me up....my surgeon would not put me on reflux medicine.. he gave me two options..eat smaller amounts and eat earlier.. or gastric bypass. I'm taking tums though to help on days that are worst than others.. funny thing is...I never experienced reflux before the surgery even though I had a hiatel hernia.. I guess it's something I will deal with..if it ever goes away...I'd be a happy girl!

Your Dr sounds like an ass. Take over the counter medicine, double the over the counter amount is usually the script amount. There is no reason to suffer. What a quack. That really makes me angry. He is just letting your body damage itself when it is easily preventable.

@jordoe1 I took my meds. It resolved. I have occasional issues that are caused by myself. Right now I am battling with GERD but it is from an Iron supplement I was taking, I am hoping it gets better soon. I never had GERD pre-op and most of it post-op with the except of the early months has been brought on by my own actions.

So to answer your question, it should resolve by 6 months usually.